• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Issue: Slab returned .... BUT!!

109 posts in this topic

If ebay was as horrifically bad for sellers as you suggest, there would be nothing for sale on ebay.

that has got to be the stupidest argument I have ever heard.

seriously.

there's always SOMEONE who is an apologist for a bad system

Congrats, its you this time !

I ain't even going to bother responding to your future posts.

You are IGNORED.

Just so you know, that won't work.

However, he is absolutely right and to tell the truth, I am absolutely delighted with eBay as of late. I made a great sale this week actually setting a new GPA high and have had that happen over the last couple of months with a few books.

If ebay was as horrifically bad for sellers as you suggest, there would be nothing for sale on ebay.

that has got to be the stupidest argument I have ever heard.

seriously.

there's always SOMEONE who is an apologist for a bad system

Congrats, its you this time !

I ain't even going to bother responding to your future posts.

You are IGNORED.

Understanding how something works doesn't make him an apologist.

Any business gets unreasonable customers. It's part of selling. Ya just gotta live with it.

what happened to the idea that this is a hobby?

the problem with the world is EVERYTHING is considered business and EVERYBODY is held to the standards of big business.

Its part of the sickness that is 2015.

I had someone buy a cellophane sealed item from me on ebay[Chanel perfume] and claim it was a fake.

He told me he buys them all the time on ebay and only when he gets them can he tell whether its real or fake.

And he sends the ones he doesn't want back. doh!

Says only about 5% of the ones he buys are real. doh!

And he acted like I was trying to commit a fraud when I said it seemed like he was assuming the risk as he knew they were very possibly fake based on his expert knowledge. doh!

But its ebay. You cant win on that platform as a seller in 2015.

Perhaps it's a hobby to you, but for many people, it is a business.

Yeah I bought this item from you and I'm not satisfied-I want a refund.

HEY IT'S A HOBBY FOR ME!! NO REFUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it's not a hobby for me this is my business....

Sorry! Hobby!

Hobby hobby hobby!!!!!!

update: The buyer has agreed to pay return shipping

Even still, I stand to lose a nice chunk of change here and thus, I haven't decided what I'm going to do - thanks for all the support and input. I appreciate the feedback and hearing differing opinions on the matter. Clearly, it's a controversial subject.

- I paid to have this book shipped down - $19 CAD

- I had a 'sell for free; pay no final value fees' on this book - $19 USD

- now, once I re-sell, I'll have to pay to ship it somewhere else and pay the 10% fee

- BUT, I also risk there being incoming duty charges when I receive it!

I get what you guys are saying about doing business on eBay and this being 'a cost of doing business' but this is still a really bad system for sellers. Whether it's your business or your hobby is irrelevant to me. A buyer still has to assume responsibility for their purchase (within reason of course). In this case, the buyer should have been responsible and thought to thoroughly check the pictures and ask for clarification or close-up pictures. Most sellers would happily oblige.

Do you know what happens when there is no accountability for one's actions? chaos; where people take advantage of a bad system.

When there is no responsibility on the buyer's behalf and a seller is on the hook for everything, a very one-sided system is created.

I know it's frowned upon by eBay, but doing transactions via PayPal only are much, much easier. PayPal very quickly makes a decision. In order for an 'item not as described' claim to go the buyer's way, the item needs to be 'significantly different'. eBay buyers can cherry-pick all they want at a seller's expense.

I've had very few glitches and had plenty of successful sales. Your cup is half full.

Before ebay you had one option-sell to LCS for 20% of value.

I've had very few glitches and had plenty of successful sales. Your cup is half full.

Before ebay you had one option-sell to LCS for 20% of value.

Absolutely...

On the same token... this is also why it is much harder to find collections these days. Everyone with a computer connection and a set of fingers can sell something.

Make sure that if you do accept the return that warthog636 writes on the shipping label that it is a "Return to Sender for Refund" to avoid customs charges. The CBSA cannot charge you customs on an item being returned to you for refund, but will if they do not know this is the case. If you are charged customs on the return you will have to mail them paperwork (the customs form on the returned parcel explains how) and they will give you your money back, but it takes a couple of months. This happened to my wife and I a few years back and we make sure to avoid it when we have to accept an international return now.

Simple question, to play devil's advocate. I know this is an issue with eBay because of return shipping costs etc. Would anyone be arguing this buyers right to return if he had bought it at a normal store, and brought it back undamaged with receipt?

Simple question, to play devil's advocate. I know this is an issue with eBay because of return shipping costs etc. Would anyone be arguing this buyers right to return if he had bought it at a normal store, and brought it back undamaged with receipt?

depends on the return policy - my ad said no returns. Yet according to many, eBay will force me to take the return.

If I walked into a store, bought something that was 'final sale/no return' and tried to walk in at a later date and return it, would they take it back? Nope.

depends on the return policy - my ad said no returns. Yet according to many, eBay will force me to take the return.

If I walked into a store, bought something that was 'final sale/no return' and tried to walk in at a later date and return it, would they take it back? Nope.

Then you take em to small claims. Some dude tried that on my dad-he bought a chair that fell apart. 'We dont guarantee anything' he said. 'That's why we have 'no returns' signs'. The judge begged to differ. He told the guy by law he does indeed guarantee his products.