• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Issue: Slab returned .... BUT!!

109 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what this guy could have possibly argued about with a border agent... To the point where she hung up on him and charged the customs fee anyway.

That conversation should be pretty straight forward I would think.

For the record, I'm fine with the return here (wasn't happy about it at first because the 'flaw' was visible in the pictures). Now I just want my book back in one piece.

...you have to offer 14-day or longer return policy.

...soon to be 30-day or longer. Ya might as well accept 'em. eBay wants sellers to behave just like major retailers.

seems that way - kinda hard to act like a major retailer when you're just one guy trying to make a few bucks to fund a pretty cool hobby

Dealing with customs on goods being returned to Canada is a pain.

UPS, despite charging customs brokerage fees, isn't going to do much brokering for you.

You may be able to ask if you can "Self Clear" which involves going to a customs office yourself and clearing the goods. OR calling UPS with the tracking information and explain the situation. Although usually they insist the sender do it.

I got this back (finally)

It's the same book with the same white printing defect on Spider-Man's foot, so I know he didn't pull a switcharoo.

However, I noticed something strange

There is an odd scratch or marking on the 'R-M' of Spider-Man that is the shape of a bent line.

It wasn't there before and it's not on the top of the slab. It's underneath the slab (above the comic)... definitely on the hard plastic.

Any guess as to what this guy did?

It wasn't there before (see first post in thread)

take a look at these

5338b00c-0c47-4b53-8c67-4e70dade3b66_zpseknnsmp3.jpg

IMG_4104_zpspsc0mkmo.jpg

IMG_4103_zpszoy3j0u6.jpg

There's no sign that he damaged the slab in any way. The book is loose inside the slab, but CGC did give it a thicker casing (like for king size/giant size/annuals - not sure why)

There are many little smudges and scuffs underneath the surface of the slab. They really show up when angled in the right light

IMG_4109_zps5uwoonb9.jpg

IMG_4107_zpsl1enxa8k.jpg

This counts as not receiving the item back in the same condition, does it not? What would you guys do here?

Because pictures were not taken with that exact angle prior you getting it back it is not possible for you to say the book did not come back to in the condition it was sent out. Even though you may know any ruling authority cannot say the same thing

There is an odd scratch or marking on the 'R-M' of Spider-Man that is the shape of a bent line.

It wasn't there before and it's not on the top of the slab. It's underneath the slab (above the comic)... definitely on the hard plastic.

Are you sure it's not a stray pet hair that found it's way inside the hard case?

So here's what eBay said - and I think some of you would get a chuckle out of this.

After the buyer emailed me and asked for his refund, I said the case was cracked.

He immediately filed a claim with eBay and within the hour, eBay closed the claim and awarded him the 100% refund.

So I called eBay and said WTH?

Here's the convo with eBay

eBay: If your listing said 'no returns' why did you take the return?

Me: There is a loophole about 'not as described' where eBay awards the buyer a refund for anything

eBay: Yes that's true because there is no way for eBay to verify that an item either is or is not as described.

Me: So what are you going to do about it?

eBay: we suggest you block this buyer and we'll flag his account to see if he's done this before

Me: Ok, but now I have a book that's damaged

eBay: We can give you the final value fees back, but that's as a courtesy because this has never happened before

Me: And... what else?

eBay: That's all eBay can do. The buyer returned it and had proof of delivery so the money is automatically refunded. We always return the funds once the book has been delivered. There is no way for eBay to know that a book was damaged during shipping back to the seller. Because the claim was for "X" reason, and damaged during shipping was not reason "X", there is nothing the seller can do.

I love how they tried to tell me that because I accepted the return in the first place, I basically screwed myself over. I told her that eBay needs to amend this return loophole and protect their sellers better.

to get those unsightly marks off of the slab, you should probably do a reholder.

What obviously happened though is the person saw the mark and thought it was something like a hair, paper, etc and tried removing it but putting something inside but found out: A) its on the book, B) he now has screwed up the inner well/case. He doesn't want the book then.

That you got a final value fee and them flagging his account is still more than I thought would happen anyway.

So...

A) If you had stated "no returns" - would Ebay have forced you to refund for "damaged in shipping" items? (we all know the answer to that)

B) If all it takes is "proof of delivery" for Ebay to refund the money to the seller - how does Ebay know WHAT was delivered back to the seller - it could have been old newspapers for all Ebay knows!

C) What the hell good does it do for Ebay to require that buyers return items "in original condition" in order to get a refund if Ebay is going to ignore the seller TELLING Ebay that the item WAS NOT returned "in original condition"?

So...

A) If you had stated "no returns" - would Ebay have forced you to refund for "damaged in shipping" items? (we all know the answer to that)

B) If all it takes is "proof of delivery" for Ebay to refund the money to the seller - how does Ebay know WHAT was delivered back to the seller - it could have been old newspapers for all Ebay knows!

C) What the hell good does it do for Ebay to require that buyers return items "in original condition" in order to get a refund if Ebay is going to ignore the seller TELLING Ebay that the item WAS NOT returned "in original condition"?

Those are 3 great questions... I was shocked to find out that the return was automatically awarded despite the returned condition. I suggested appealing the case ruling and the eBay rep said she couldn't do that because the crack on the slab was not the reason for the return.

I very well could have received 1 kg of old news papers and I'd be out the money and the book

ebay gave someone a full refund on an item (and eventually sucked it out of my account) as not having been delivered when delivery confirmation clearly showed that it had been delivered, but i stupidly had been bullied out of using signature confirmation by the buyer (it was above the amount) who complained it was a huge PITA the last time I sent him a package.

I showed all of these emails to ebay whose only response is that i should have gotten signature confirmation. it didn't seem to mean anything to them that the guy might have been setting up a scam to grab a $750 package (or whatever the amount is they want signatures for, i was just above it) and there was delivery confirmation

ebay gave someone a full refund on an item (and eventually sucked it out of my account) as not having been delivered when delivery confirmation clearly showed that it had been delivered, but i stupidly had been bullied out of using signature confirmation by the buyer (it was above the amount) who complained it was a huge PITA the last time I sent him a package.

I showed all of these emails to ebay whose only response is that i should have gotten signature confirmation. it didn't seem to mean anything to them that the guy might have been setting up a scam to grab a $750 package (or whatever the amount is they want signatures for, i was just above it) and there was delivery confirmation

:cry: Did you eventually lose the $750 eBay sucked out of your account and the book? Geez

I got a 'too bad so sad' vibe off eBay today. They have no problem taking my 10%, but when you know what hits the fan, I get bent over and taken advantage of.

I love how I shouldn't have accepted the return in the first place.... Despite that they would have later forced me to anyway... nice.

Buyer wins, eBay wins, seller loses.... but it's the seller's fees that keep them in business... go figure.

it was pretty convoluted, my recollection is that I shipped three lots he won in one box and they added up to over $750. the first lot wound up getting to him after the "expected delivery" date for it because i sent everything media and f-ups on my end, so he made an item not received complaint. i responded to ebay by noting delivery confirmation said it was received. they said the total payment was for $750, so I was SOL having not received signature confirm. he did not make the non-received complaint w/respect to the other lots, indeed, left feedback on them, but not that one.

anyway, i think it was $250 total out of my account, but it was bizarre they seemingly made no second effort with the buyer to ask him "have you gotten it now, delivery confirmation says yes", just that with no signature confirmation i was going to loose the money, end of story.

well, that's how i remember it. seemed very odd they just didn't care whether or not he received it.

There is no way I send anything over $149 without sig conf. If they don't like it I'll just cancel transaction after calling ebay to get all my ducks in a row in case they want to leave bad feedback so I can get it removed.

"I'm sorry sir I cannot take the risk of shipping an item worth that amount getting lost. Confirmation is a must in order to protect myself. If that will not work for you I can cancel the transaction'.

I had an eBay issue like this a couple of years ago...sold an iPhone to a person, they said it was not as described and wanted to return it. I said no, eBay said yes. He shipped it but it got lost in the mail. Eventually the tracking said delivered but it was not delivered to me (I don't know where it went). eBay said since tracking shows it was delivered they are refunding the buyer his $300 back and then said I owed $300. I said no and immediately closed my eBay and paypal. They never got the $300 from me since I did not have money sitting in my account and my bank account was never tied to paypal or eBay.