• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

It's wonderful that you've managed to hold on to such a beautiful copy for so long. It must have been very important to you when you were willing to make such a sacrifice. When I was a teenager, I didn't appreciate the appeal of high grade comics and would much rather have more reading copies for my savings.

I just received the first Fantagraphics volume and thought that the format was nicer than the previous US editions. When the European Barks library came out a few years ago, I had a great time re-reading all the stories. The reproduction of "Race to the South Seas" is nicer in the Fantagraphics book than in any other reprint I've seen. I also got copies of the other new Disney titles but am still reading those.

Regarding my meeting with Yellow Kid, it felt like I had just scratched the surface of what I wanted to talk with him about after my 4 day visit. We barely had time to get started on the auction catalogs although that had been high on my list of priorities.

Thanks, I have some other beauties I have owned for almost as long. I will post some over the holidays. They all have special meaning to me as I was a total Barks fanatic in my youth. I can't adequately describe the thrill of receiving these stories and getting to read them; the originality, cleverness and humanity of the stories just shined through.

I was also lucky to have parents who supported my interests and allowed me to invest my hard earned money in comics. They didn't always see the value but I have the last laugh these days when I tell my Dad how much some of his old comics fetch. I have never let him live down the day when I was ten or eleven and tried to get him to buy Golden Age DC's for one dollar each. "One Dollar," he shouted, "Why those things only cost a dime when they were new!" Ha! Ha! If only I had been a little older.

Sounds like your visit with Yellow Kid was great, I haven't often had the pleasure of hanging out with other Barks fanatics.

Here's one of my own favorite books in its new CGC holder. CGC 8.5 may not sound that special, but I can't imagine there is a more beautiful or higher graded copy out there. Some of first few Mickey Mouse Magazines were printed on very high quality paper, but from V1#6 the quality dropped dramatically. The next few months had the worst paper I've ever come across among Golden Age books and you hardly ever find copies without severe tanning or brittleness.

Thanks to some literature that Yellow Kid provided me with, I discovered that the publisher, Hal Horne, had been losing a lot of money on Mickey Mouse Magazine during the first few months of publication. It is tempting to speculate that this was the reason for the switch in paper quality. The March 1936 issue sold 116,330 copies, down from 147,751 for V1#1 (which was priced at 25 cents). Sales continued to drop to 76,932 with V1#8. Hal Horne resigned as editor the following month to pursue a career in the motion picture industry and Kay Kamen, who had tried hard to persuade Horne to stay, reluctantly took over as publisher. Interestingly, the switch back to Kamen coincides with my empirical observation that the paper quality starts improving again with the last few issues of V1.

v16_85.jpg

Beautiful, under appreciated books like this one are my own favorites which I am just as fond of as expensive keys. I paid little more than $100 for this copy off eBay over 10 years ago when Disney Auctions sold a large part of well known Disneyana collector Jeff Lotman's collection. Several of the early Lotman issues are the nicest copies I have ever seen by a wide margin. This one is obviously among them.

The cover art is from "The Band Concert", the first Mickey Mouse short in color which was released in February, 1935. Tom Wood's adaptation for Good Housekeeping is shown below.

Edit: for some reason the photo is turned 90 degrees on my Apple devices but not on my pc.

119055.jpg.4f76937ab81d170162020d828dcbe176.jpg

Edited by tb

Here's one of my own favorite books in its new CGC holder. CGC 8.5 may not sound that special, but I can't imagine there is a more beautiful or higher graded copy out there. Some of first few Mickey Mouse Magazines were printed on very high quality paper, but from V1#6 the quality dropped dramatically. The next few months had the worst paper I've ever come across among Golden Age books and you hardly ever find copies without severe tanning or brittleness.

Thanks to some literature that Yellow Kid provided me with, I discovered that the publisher, Hal Horne, had been losing a lot of money on Mickey Mouse Magazine during the first few months of publication. It is tempting to speculate that this was the reason for the switch in paper quality. The March 1936 issue sold 116,330 copies, down from 147,751 for V1#1 (which was priced at 25 cents). Sales continued to drop to 76,932 with V1#8. Hal Horne resigned as editor the following month to pursue a career in the motion picture industry and Kay Kamen, who had tried hard to persuade Horne to stay, reluctantly took over as publisher. Interestingly, the switch back to Kamen coincides with my empirical observation that the paper quality starts improving again with the last few issues of V1.

v16_85.jpg

Beautiful, under appreciated books like this one are my own favorites which I am just as fond of as expensive keys. I paid little more than $100 for this copy off eBay over 10 years ago when Disney Auction sold a large part of well known Disneyana collector Jeff Lotman's collection. Several of the early Lotman issues are the nicest copies I have ever seen by a wide margin. This one is obviously among them.

That one's a beaut! Fascinating history as well!

Beautiful, under appreciated books like this one are my own favorites which I am just as fond of as expensive keys. I paid little more than $100 for this copy off eBay over 10 years ago when Disney Auctions sold a large part of well known Disneyana collector Jeff Lotman's collection. Several of the early Lotman issues are the nicest copies I have ever seen by a wide margin. This one is obviously among them.

Edit: for some reason the picture is turned 90 degrees on my Apple devices but not on my pc.

Interesting tidbits on the publishing end of things. I had never heard of Hal Horne before. Kay Kamen is well known and is actually a Disney Legend with a plaque in his honor on the Disney Studio. Barks is there too.

v16_85.jpg

Edit: for some reason the picture is turned 90 degrees on my Apple devices but not on my pc.

That is beautiful. Your collection is amazing.

Tis' the Season to post Duck Christmas covers. This little gem has been on my mind and I thought I would post in the duck thread to celebrate the season. This book is important to me for a variety of reasons.

Setting the stage, it is the mid-seventies and old duck comics can mainly be ordered via the Buyer's Guide. I have been putting together a collection for about four years but most of the books arriving via mail order are in Fair condition at best. They only cost 2-3 bucks and you get to read some great stories but they are pretty tattered. Reprints at book stores are virtually non-existent. It is a small miracle when Les Daniels reprints a Barks tale in color in his book "Comix." Gold Key comics are becoming harder and harder to come by on the stands as sales drop and distribution becomes iffy. So the duck collector feels rather deprived, a very different world than today.

My collecting Jones has ratcheted up to the point where I am taking a bus 60 miles north to New York City once a month on Sundays to attend Phil Seuling's monthly comic show. These shows are an outgrowth of his annual July 4th extravaganza. So this is '76 or '77 and I am 16 or 17 at the time; looking back I am happy my parents had confidence in my ability to navigate the mean streets of New York with my collector friend and high school buddy. Honestly, we were both scared to death and went right from the bus station to the convention floor with no detours.

At one of these shows I came across the book below and it is a must have for me. At $20 it represents probably a good 6-8 hours of hard work at my high school job where I was probably being paid between $2.50 to $3.00 per hour at the time.

When I got home I was even more surprised to read the story and learn that it featured a cross over with the Wicked Witch from Snow White, or so my memory tells me but I haven't read this story in many years. To remedy that I have just placed an order for the Fantagraphics book which reprints this tale and I can see how good my memory is 35 years on or so.

Enjoy:

I an definitely enjoying!!! Thanks for sharing the story behind the book. (thumbs u

Saw a couple of these in the past few pages. Here are two I own. My question is if anyone can verify that these are in the original packaging from the Wheaties box or when ordered.

They in high grade but that's common enough. The plastic seems about right a bit crinkly etc. but the tape isn't yellowed at all which makes me think it is newer.

Anyone else have packaged ones of these that are different?

scan0350.jpg

scan0351.jpg

scan0352.jpg

scan0353.jpg

I was also lucky to have parents who supported my interests and allowed me to invest my hard earned money in comics. They didn't always see the value but I have the last laugh these days when I tell my Dad how much some of his old comics fetch. I have never let him live down the day when I was ten or eleven and tried to get him to buy Golden Age DC's for one dollar each. "One Dollar," he shouted, "Why those things only cost a dime when they were new!" Ha! Ha! If only I had been a little older.

I can so relate to this (except the part about parents being supportive--they allowed me to spend my money on comics, but they never liked it or supported it).

I still love to tell my Mom how much so-and-so book just sold for, and if they had just given me the money to order from the mail order catalogs I got when I was a kid, I could've had all of them for peanuts and sold them to buy her a new house.

Here's one of my own favorite books in its new CGC holder. CGC 8.5 may not sound that special, but I can't imagine there is a more beautiful or higher graded copy out there.

That 8.5 looks better than most 9.6s I've seen coming out of CGC lately.

I can so relate to this (except the part about parents being supportive--they allowed me to spend my money on comics, but they never liked it or supported it).

I still love to tell my Mom how much so-and-so book just sold for, and if they had just given me the money to order from the mail order catalogs I got when I was a kid, I could've had all of them for peanuts and sold them to buy her a new house.

My Mother would have responded to that with "Only if the comics you bought weren't restored." You never win an argument with Mom. :sorry:

Saw a couple of these in the past few pages. Here are two I own. My question is if anyone can verify that these are in the original packaging from the Wheaties box or when ordered.

They in high grade but that's common enough. The plastic seems about right a bit crinkly etc. but the tape isn't yellowed at all which makes me think it is newer.

scan0350.jpg

scan0351.jpg

scan0352.jpg

scan0353.jpg

I have about 15 unread sets of these and cheerios books w/ the original mailers, all addressed to the same kid. As far as I know, they came in just the paper mailing envelopes. The idea of wrapping a comic in plastic probably would have won someone a trip to the looney bin back in the 1950's.

scan0350.jpg

scan0351.jpg

scan0352.jpg

scan0353.jpg

I have about 15 unread sets of these and cheerios books w/ the original mailers, all addressed to the same kid. As far as I know, they came in just the paper mailing envelopes. The idea of wrapping a comic in plastic probably would have won someone a trip to the looney bin back in the 1950's.

Right. They weren't available in the boxes. You had to mail in for them. It appears you have nice copies that someone decided to protect back in the day.

v16_85.jpg

That is beautiful. Your collection is amazing.

Thanks for that tb. And I can't think of a better place for MMM than in this Duck thread