• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

Then shades of things to come. It is probably about 1977 or 1978, Phil Seuling's annual New York Convention has shifted to Philadelphia for some reason. I am still collecting Disney comics but I am starting to appreciate higher grade books and have been trying to purchase nicer books. The first file copies are starting to dribble out of the Poughkeepsie offices of Western and their untouched condition is a treat to the eye. I pick up the issue below for about $20. and it remains one of my nicest WDCS from this era to this day.

And it's a thing of beauty. If I ever finish the 1-100 run I set myself I think I could be tempted to follow through to the end of the Kelly covers. Thanks for showing that one.

Unrelated, I have a little bit of a dilemma. Someone I know offered me the Lost Valley copy of another GA Disney book. It is a CGC 9.6 and he is looking to sell it to upgrade to a CGC 9.8. Images show no visible differences between the two. My own feeling is that a Lost Valley 9.6 is at least as attractive as a generic 9.8 and that he should keep that instead. Any general thoughts without getting into more details about the specific book?

If you are a big fan of the registry & CGC grading then you need to go with the 9.8, absent some glaring mistake by CGC.

If, however, you want to be sure you have the "best" copy, taking into account factors that CGC gives little weight to (e.g. page quality and quality of production), then you have to look closely at the copies in question. I would be cautious about making a choice without having very high resolution scans of the front cover and back cover of the 9.8.

Unrelated, I have a little bit of a dilemma. Someone I know offered me the Lost Valley copy of another GA Disney book. It is a CGC 9.6 and he is looking to sell it to upgrade to a CGC 9.8. Images show no visible differences between the two. My own feeling is that a Lost Valley 9.6 is at least as attractive as a generic 9.8 and that he should keep that instead. Any general thoughts without getting into more details about the specific book?

If you are a big fan of the registry & CGC grading then you need to go with the 9.8, absent some glaring mistake by CGC.

If, however, you want to be sure you have the "best" copy, taking into account factors that CGC gives little weight to (e.g. page quality and quality of production), then you have to look closely at the copies in question. I would be cautious about making a choice without having very high resolution scans of the front cover and back cover of the 9.8.

I'd also call for the grader notes. One may have some slight staple rust or something.

At the risk of sounding trite, he should opt for the book that gives him the most pleasure to own.... but really 9.6/9.8... who cares?

I agree.

:preach:

Thanks for the insightful feedback, everyone. I'll advise my friend to think very carefully before upgrading and do the appropriate research. If he still wants to go ahead after that I'll buy the Lost Valley from him.

Edited by tb

Late last year I saw a low feedback seller on ebay listing a bunch of WDC&S which would finish just before Christmas. He had mediocre photos and descriptions of condition either 'great' or 'excellent' (not sure which was higher!) Well, of course I had to have me some of that. :insane:

The only trouble was that he wouldn't sell to Australia. So I recruited boardie Point Five to my plan, and he was kind enough to act as the middle man. Here's what I got, and the prices I paid.

wdcs_072.jpg

$27 - looks a bit better in hand, probably a 4.5 'excellent' :eyeroll:

wdcs_083.jpg

$23 VF- :banana:

wdcs_093.jpg

$41 VF+ :banana::banana::banana:

So I reckon I'm putting this one down as a win. Let me send out a big public thanks to Jon for his part in this transaction.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by AJD

Beautiful books, Andrew - I've never seen Point Five's undercopies look better :baiting:

The secret plan actually was to keep the good copies that showed up and send Andrew my undercopies. But I sent him the good ones after all. Poor follow-through on my part! doh!

Very glad it worked out, Andrew. That #93 in particular is a real honey, one of the nicest duck books I've seen. :applause:

Thanks for your kind words guys. I am really enjoying the wdc&s books. They have the interesting property that they get nicer when you have more of them.

Here's the back cover of #72, with an ad for subscriptions with a free pin-up:

zback_072.jpg

And here are the pinups from 83 and 93:

zback_083.jpg

zback_093.jpg

The first couple are re-used cover pictures, complete with space for the logo, but the last one is just a generic Minnie. Has anyone got any of these? I imagine they are around, but I can't recall seeing one. (Cue tb with a set of beautiful copies lol )

$41 VF+

So I reckon I'm putting this one down as a win.

Looks like a Christmas gift! :applause:

Thanks for your kind words guys. I am really enjoying the wdc&s books. They have the interesting property that they get nicer when you have more of them.

Here's the back cover of #72, with an ad for subscriptions with a free pin-up:

zback_072.jpg

And here are the pinups from 83 and 93:

zback_083.jpg

zback_093.jpg

The first couple are re-used cover pictures, complete with space for the logo, but the last one is just a generic Minnie. Has anyone got any of these? I imagine they are around, but I can't recall seeing one. (Cue tb with a set of beautiful copies lol )

I have seen them on ebay (once) but picked up this circus giveaway at a flea market.

3375821027_bd7acb892b_b.jpg

3375154899_789b99f351_o.jpg

Friend of mine was bidding and winning a few Heritage lots recently, and asked if I was interested in the "by catch" - the books he didn't want in the lots.

Now, I am a cheap , so of course I said yes. I expected a lot of dogs but was pleasantly surprised by the condition of many of them - some certainly VF-ish.

14 books, WDC&S 168 - 201 range:

100_14591016x762.jpg

100_14601016x762.jpg

100_14611016x762.jpg

Lots of lovely Barks goodness. :cloud9:

Excellent pickup Peter. :applause:

They are such fun books. I like having consecutive issues so I can read the MM serials.

And seeing them spread out like that really highights how much better Barks' cover artwork was compared to the others at that period.

Great stuff Peter! Some years ago I picked up a similar lot intending to read + resell them (I mainly collect the '40s ones), but I ended up keeping most of them in the end anyhow. The books are really fun, and the cover colors look so nice in those higher grades.

Some of the Barks covers from the mid 1950s are just fantastic. They don't get much nicer than the one in the upper left corner of the first picture.

---

Here is my earliest CGC 9.4 so far.

mmv26_94.jpg

Some of the Barks covers from the mid 1950s are just fantastic. They don't get much nicer than the one in the upper left corner of the first picture.

---

Here is my earliest CGC 9.4 so far.

mmv26_94.jpg

:cloud9: