• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

Re: German bootlegs.

Can't quite recall the exact name but the paragraph below refers to what I had in mind:

"In the mid-'70s, a German comic book club got special permission to reprint several volumes entitled The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse (1930-1955). Each volume covered one year's worth of daily strip art. Disney granted permission since the volumes were only meant for the club members and the total print run was limited to no more than 500 copies."

I don't think Disney would grant that permission today!

We have had several licensed editions targeted to the collectors' market, here, but not recently.

The complete Gottfredson run we have had recently has been supervised by Disney but came out as a supplement of one of the leading italian newspapers, "Il Corriere della Sera":

annidorotopolino3.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Re: German bootlegs.

Can't quite recall the exact name but the paragraph below refers to what I had in mind:

"In the mid-'70s, a German comic book club got special permission to reprint several volumes entitled The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse (1930-1955). Each volume covered one year's worth of daily strip art. Disney granted permission since the volumes were only meant for the club members and the total print run was limited to no more than 500 copies."

I don't think Disney would grant that permission today!

We have had several licensed editions targeted to the collectors' market, here, but not recently.

The complete Gottfredson run we have had recently has been supervised by Disney but came out as a supplement of one of the leading italian newspapers, "Il Corriere della Sera":

annidorotopolino3.jpg

I suspect the Italian licensing office is more friendly and interested in comics publications than the US offices. That is probably somewhat driven by demand for the material.

I suspect the Italian licensing office is more friendly and interested in comics publications than the US offices. That is probably somewhat driven by demand for the material.

Which, by the way, it’s always been huge, if it‘s of any indication.

We started to have a title dedicated to Mickey Mouse in 1932, and the publication, except for a change in format in 1949, never stopped, constantly presenting new italian material as well editions of each and every possible country, besides the original US classics. Here’s this week issue:

2973.jpg

Even the Fantagraphics edition just started to come out here as well, less than a year after the complete Gottfredson we just had:

topolino-valle-morte-interna.jpg

About 2 weeks ago I reached the highest form of comic collecting... bought my first FC Barks! California Gold - greatness in the form of newsprint paper and ink

no pic yet

Me too, I bought my first Golden Age WDC&S issue, and I’m waiting for it.

Contains one of my favorite stories ever, "Three dirty little ducks"… :)

About 2 weeks ago I reached the highest form of comic collecting... bought my first FC Barks! California Gold - greatness in the form of newsprint paper and ink

no pic yet

Welcome to the Barks club! It's pure gold in here! :headbang:

Oh, I have read a lot of the best stories in italian, and many in english, as I have the Carl Barks Library issued by Gladstone/Another Rainbow.

But I never got attached to the reprints, and I decided I would have liked to keep just the stories I love most, maybe buying little by little the originals.

That will be tough in monetary terms, but I am intentioned to stay very focused.

This is the italian edition of "The gilded man":

AlbodOroNo_357_f.jpg

And a VERY special Snow-White related story (featuring the 1st app. of the evil counterparts to the Seven Dwarves), which is one of the very first italian-produced Disney stories (originally appeared in 1939, pre-dates Barks' work):

AlbodOroNo_345_f.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int3.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int2.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Thanks Scrooge, you’re welcome! :)

Brief informations on the artist, Nino Pagot, the only ones I have found in english, but I think they are pretty accurate:

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/p/pagot_nino.htm

An unusual chance meeting between Donald and Peg-leg-Pete from another early Duck story by Pedrocchi: "Paperino Chiromante" (also from 1939):

Chiromante.jpg

:gossip: I'm French. That's the only reason I know who Calimero is.

As for a coon's age, in this instance, more or less 20 years!! though it simply means "a long time"

P.S.: Now you got me looking at Calimero videos on YouTube :facepalm:

Oh, I have read a lot of the best stories in italian, and many in english, as I have the Carl Barks Library issued by Gladstone/Another Rainbow.

But I never got attached to the reprints, and I decided I would have liked to keep just the stories I love most, maybe buying little by little the originals.

That will be tough in monetary terms, but I am intentioned to stay very focused.

AlbodOroNo_357_f.jpg

And a VERY special Snow-White related story (featuring the 1st app. of the evil counterparts to the Seven Dwarves), which is one of the very first italian-produced Disney stories (originally appeared in 1939, pre-dates Barks' work):

AlbodOroNo_345_f.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int3.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int2.jpg

Reminds me of the book the Hobbit when Bilbo and his dwarf buddies go floating down a river in barrels to escape some evil Elves!

no pic yet

Thanks, going to read through this thread and pan for some gold! Will prob have to buy me some reprints soon - yet another genre of books to compete for my comic slush fund : )

Already got to enjoy the pic of Italian versions (very cool - Gracia Valliant)

AlbodOroNo_357_f.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_f.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int3.jpg

AlbodOroNo_345_int2.jpg

Reminds me of the book the Hobbit when Bilbo and his dwarf buddies go floating down a river in barrels to escape some evil Elves!

I believe the Hobbit was published in 1937 (although probably later in Italy), so perhaps that was the inspiration.

AlbodOroNo_357_f.jpg

The Gilded Man (FC 422) was my first GA Barks. I picked up a beat copy as a kid (still have it). Always one of my favorite stories. There was actually an MM version of the story published some years later. One of the few instances that I know of where a Barks story was swiped for use in another comic.

Many thanks to everyone to the warm welcome given to the italian stories' few images. (thumbs u

The italian production is such an asset, and has become so in most countries for the last 30-40 years that it never occurred to me it could have been mostly unknown in the States, until Gladstone started to publish some material in the late 1980s.

To make things clear: of course we are proud of it, but it‘s not chiefly a question of that. It’s objectively the largest worldwide Disney comics production, together with the original american one. The nordic Gutemberghus did amazing works, but our authors followed the "long story" tradition of Gottfredson and Barks, rather than the short humour stories one, and I‘d really love to write something in english for you on the subject.

The Albo d’Oro with the Seven Dwarves vs. the Seven Evil Dwarves story will be soon on its way to the US, as it’s been purchased by Baz. Thanks Baz! :foryou:

I never thought about the Hobbit connection, but you are absolutely right. The other amazing thing is that I started collecting pre-war Disney stuff when I was 15, in 1984-85, the very same year I read the Hobbit.

Pedrocchi was an eclectic man, and he could have surely read the Hobbit at its very first appearance.

Edited by vaillant

I believe the Hobbit was published in 1937 (although probably later in Italy), so perhaps that was the inspiration.

Ah, and Pedrocchi managed to have one of his realistic stories (Saturn vs. the Earth, on "Future Comics": http://www.comicvine.com/future-comics/49-806/) partly published in the USA already in 1940, so I guess he was enough fluent in english to read the Hobbit and enjoy it in original language. :)

Scarpa dreamed for all his life to become an animator. He was a lover of the long animated features, and found himself doing the comics simply because in Italy there weren’t venues for producing massive animated works.

Here’s a 1982 animated sequence fully drawn and animated by Scarpa that he produced for an italian Mickey Mouse TV program, "Topolino Show", which shows most of the landmark characters together with some other one less known to the US audience:

In particular, the girl duck with the boombox is Paperetta Yè Yè, a beat girl duck character created in the late 1960s (which is the nephew of Glittering Goldie, and this shows all Scarpa's love for Barks), and Brutus, a baby crow which is Ellsworth’s adopted son. And there‘s the Phantom Blot, too… :cloud9: