• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

It's not even fair.

Man, your grading standards are the strictest I've ever seen. This book is clearly better than 1.0.

Buy the book, not the label, I always say.

It's not even fair.

Man, your grading standards are the strictest I've ever seen. This book is clearly better than 1.0.

lol

My three big recent pickups. These probably aren't too impressive if you're a high grade collector. But, despite the fact that they're low grade, they're all mine and I love 'em. :grin:

dbd877e4-874a-4822-8e1c-67162b6fa643.jpg

FC386.jpeg

FC456.jpeg

I keep getting amazed every time I go back and read "Only a Poor Old Man". Not only is it completely timeless, holding up just as well today as it did in the cold war era, but I also find myself enjoying it at a different level as an adult than I did as a child. Whether you have your savings in a piggy bank, a 401K, or a money bin, it is a brilliant metaphor for worrying about protecting your hard earned savings against life's uncertainties, whether it be the Beagle Boys, Wall Street bankers, or credit default swaps. The other stories are great in their own right, but "Poor Old Man" is just an ingenious, off-the-charts masterpiece. The legacy of an artist is in large part determined by the quality of the very best individual works he/she ever produced, and by that standard Four Color 386 carries a lot of weight for Barks.

Great point, tb. For me, it's the first Barks story I think of. I would be going out on a limb, but it might be my absolute favorite Bark story.

To all, what is your favorite?

For me, it's the first Barks story I ever read: The Many Faces of Magica de Spell. It hooked me on Uncle Scrooge and on Barks; although, I had no idea why I liked his stories so much better than any of the other authors until much later in my life.

Great reader copies! I have all of the Gladstone reprints but I still break out my reader copies to peruse every once and a while.

There's nothing like the old comic book smell! (thumbs u

Great point, tb. For me, it's the first Barks story I think of. I would be going out on a limb, but it might be my absolute favorite Bark story.

Maybe because I read it not long ago, A Christmas for Shacktown (FC 367) may be my favorite (although, granted, it is a bit preachy). The last of the Donald FCs, The Gilded Man (FC 422) was the first FC duck I bought many years ago and is still one of my favorites.

As a kid, I really loved a reprint of The Old Castle's Secret (FC 189). For sheer Barks screwiness, it's tough to beat Lost in the Andes (FC 223).

Maybe because I read it not long ago, A Christmas for Shacktown (FC 367) may be my favorite (although, granted, it is a bit preachy).

That’s why it’s so good. ;)

For me, well I think it may be one of the earliest, pre-Uncle Scrooge, but there are just too many and I haven’t re-read them in years.

Also "In old California?", that one is really very peculiar.

I too remember fondly The Many Faces of Magica de Spell but if called to task, my most fondly-remembered Barks story is The Lemming in the Locket. Today, I'd say Back to the Klondike or Tralla La with Scrooge.

I too remember fondly The Many Faces of Magica de Spell but if called to task, my most fondly-remembered Barks story is The Lemming in the Locket. Today, I'd say Back to the Klondike or Tralla La with Scrooge.

Oh, right, how much I loved it! :D

It‘s really no easy task to pick one…

2694085152_8f730635e7.jpg

The Magic Hourglass is probably my favorite story and the first one that I remember reading.

We also had a copy of US 5 which has the Atlantis story and that is probably my second favorite.

I read the reprint of "The Old Castle's Secret" and got interested in collecting Ducks again.

All of the Scrooge stories that I had missed, which was most of the first ten issues, were fun.

I probably paid more for Four Color 199 and 223. I got both from trades.

I think I gave the dealers my car and first born child. :insane:

4103553804_4f6dfb550b_z.jpg

Here he is in a picture of FC 199. Dealer gave him back because he was so much trouble.

Edited by BB-Gun

My favorites in no particular order are:

Old Castle's Secret

Lost in the Andes

Sheriff of Bullet Valley

Golden Helmet

North of the Yukon

North of the Yukon shows Uncle Scrooge's true colors. The stories featured in the Four Color one-shots and March of Comics were simply amazing.

I'd have to agree on "Only a Poor Old Man," being the iconic Barks story. I remember the story from a very young age buying a copy of the mid sixties reprint second hand. The scene of the money bursting from the dam was indelibly inscribed on my mind and years later when I picked up the original I was thrilled to see it and realize I had read it as a small boy.

After that I would say these are my favorites in no particular order:

Old Castle's Secret - just a great great story.

Back to the Klondike

Tra-la-la

Adventures Underground

Golden Helmet - Ickus Spickus Lickus - you can't prove it's not my favorite!

Lost in the Andes

Voodoo Hoodoo

Really only the tip of the iceberg as they all bring a special fun to the reader.