• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

9026836370_a625c92918_b.jpg

:"The Magic Hourglass" is one of my favorite stories. Reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't remember that story. I'll have to seek it out.

One of my favorite stories is "The Littlest Chicken Thief" which appeared in WDC&S #219.

WDCS219.jpg

donaldduck26.jpg

Beautiful. :applause:

I liked that cover so much I bought a lithograph of that scene.

halloweeninduckburg.jpg

That would have made an awesome wraparound cover (thumbs u

donaldduck26.jpg

Great cover! :headbang: If that was Roger's then that's my old spare file copy.

donaldduck26.jpg

The circle of life :cloud9:

donaldduck26.jpg

Any chance you could post your non-spare file copy? :wishluck:

This book has facinated me for years and I love to see high-grade examples.

It's one sharp looking 9.0. I think both Roger and I were puzzled by the grade.

This is the copy I kept that came from an original owner collection and has better pages and colors than the file copies I've seen.

DonaldDuck26.jpg

love that story.. this is from the period Barks experimented with some funky panel lay-outs- that top half of that page is just exquisite. I remember one story in particular where he really went to town with this style - amazing that the editors let him! - "vacation time" from Vacation Parade 1: Vacation_Parade_1p.jpg

but at some point he stopped this lay-out style- maybe the editors told him "yeah umm this is getting abit too funky"?

Great story. Kind of lost in the shuffle of all of the great FCs during that period.

but at some point he stopped this lay-out style- maybe the editors told him "yeah umm this is getting abit too funky"?
Dell eventually imposed standard/simple approaches to page layout to all artists across their comic book line. Barks indicated that he felt that it unnecessarily limited flexibility to tell the story in the best way possible.

[...]

One of the few times Barks's editors interfered with him. Censored the beginning as too scary!

While going through the story recently, I noticed that Barks did something pretty brilliant with the beginning that I never saw before. Note how Witch Hazel entered the story from the upper right and "through" the moon in the original, censored splash panel. In the matching splash at the end, she exits the same place and in the same smooth curve, but from the lower left. I wonder if it might have been this elegant idea of mirrored opening and closing splashes that made Barks draw the original panel without the Ducks(?).

138622.jpg.454ca1fbdce67cc35d54c7c22d6cc9d8.jpg

Good catch! I'm sure that was intended as it is a very useful story-telling framing device.

[...]

One of the few times Barks's editors interfered with him. Censored the beginning as too scary!

While going through the story recently, I noticed that Barks did something pretty brilliant with the beginning that I never saw before. Note how Witch Hazel entered the story from the upper right and "through" the moon in the original, censored splash panel. In the matching splash at the end, she exits the same place and in the same smooth curve, but from the lower left. I wonder if it might have been this elegant idea of mirrored opening and closing splashes that made Barks draw the original panel without the Ducks(?).

What a good observation. Has the uncensored splash been reprinted anywhere? I can't remember.