• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Some strong results for high grade duck books on Heritage today. The early WDCS really pulled in some strong dollars; beautiful rare books in magnificent condition.

While I have mixed feelings about strong duck prices, it would be a shame if such beautiful books had gone for a song.

Wonder if we'll see any of them here? hm

I sure hope so.

Beautiful copy. Is it from the Bill Craig collection? I think it is very cool to know that most of his books were bought at Collector's Book Store over 40 years ago and have stayed with the same owner since then. It is clear from looking at the scans how eye appeal was just as important as the technical grade back then: to see big keys in super high grade together with beautiful later issues like this makes an interesting statement about the culture among collectors then and now. BC did not have to worry at all about restoration, pressing, numerical grades, and so much other filtering that I consider whenever I evaluate a comic today. He could walk in to the CBS and select what he wanted in person from a stack of unbagged comics, and he obviously had a very good eye. The gaps in his runs are also interesting as they reflect how hit and miss it must have been to build consistent high grade runs even under the most optimal circumstances back then.

Thanks everyone. It'll be some time before I have the book in hand, but I'll likely crack it and scan it when I do, so you should see it again.

Back cover/internal issues?

Perhaps. I have one in the 70s (number escapes me for now) that presents as well from the front but has a 15mm edge tear on the otherwise lovely back cover. Gotta love those $$ reducing defects that don't take much eye appeal off.

Beautiful copy. Is it from the Bill Craig collection? I think it is very cool to know that most of his books were bought at Collector's Book Store over 40 years ago and have stayed with the same owner since then. It is clear from looking at the scans how eye appeal was just as important as the technical grade back then: to see big keys in super high grade together with beautiful later issues like this makes an interesting statement about the culture among collectors then and now. BC did not have to worry at all about restoration, pressing, numerical grades, and so much other filtering that I consider whenever I evaluate a comic today. He could walk in to the CBS and select what he wanted in person from a stack of unbagged comics, and he obviously had a very good eye. The gaps in his runs are also interesting as they reflect how hit and miss it must have been to build consistent high grade runs even under the most optimal circumstances back then.

Interesting. Yes, it is from that collection, but I knew nothing at all about it, so thanks for filling in the gap.