• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

This thread is a real gem for me. I am mainly a bronze collector - mostly Spider-Man and X-Men - so I have never ventured into the gold forum before. But I love Ducks, especially Uncle Scrooge, so when I stumbled across this thread the other day, I got to catch up on over a year's worth of amazing posts all in one sitting.

And I felt like I had to contribute. My collection is modest but it has a few goodies courtesy of tth. Our paths crossed right when I first decided to put together a Scrooge run and Tim has been a great help in getting me started. I really owe him a debt of thanks and I am fortunate that I hooked up with him before he sold all his Duck books!

Glad you found the thread and posted the books!

Where/when did you learn about Unca Scrooge?

I read Uncle Scrooge when I was a kid in the 1960s. I collected coins with my Dad so I chuckled when I read the post that coin collectors have a special fondness for Scrooge. I think that there is some truth to that!

When I started collecting comics, I focused on books that I remembered but I mainly bought bronze superheroes. The Ducks are still the only silver age books that I have.

I took my nephew into the local comic store about a year ago and we bought some books to read together. I saw some Gemstone Scrooges and I bought those and when I read them, it brought back all those pleasant memories. I thought that I would put together a complete reader-grade run and re-read all of them.

Coincidentally, tth was selling some high-grade Scrooges on eBay at that time and that sparked the collector in me so I got them. I also crossed paths with a real cool guy in Arizona who sold me his Gemstone/Gladstone/Disney run.

I'm still working on my Dell/Gold Key/Whitman reader run.

I read Uncle Scrooge when I was a kid in the 1960s. I collected coins with my Dad so I chuckled when I read the post that coin collectors have a special fondness for Scrooge. I think that there is some truth to that!

When I started collecting comics, I focused on books that I remembered but I mainly bought bronze superheroes. The Ducks are still the only silver age books that I have.

I took my nephew into the local comic store about a year ago and we bought some books to read together. I saw some Gemstone Scrooges and I bought those and when I read them, it brought back all those pleasant memories. I thought that I would put together a complete reader-grade run and re-read all of them.

Coincidentally, tth was selling some high-grade Scrooges on eBay at that time and that sparked the collector in me so I got them. I also crossed paths with a real cool guy in Arizona who sold me his Gemstone/Gladstone/Disney run.

I'm still working on my Dell/Gold Key/Whitman reader run.

Always nice to hear how people got started -- and that you're passing it on to the nephew. Although you don't specifically mention that you let him read the Scrooges. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding grin.gif

Good Luck completing the run!

Edited by adamstrange

The nephew is fun. He picked out a bunch of different superhero books to read: Spidey, Super-Man, Fantastic Four. But his mom loves Disney so he read the Scrooges.

Now, I am totally anal about keeping my comics nice and so you should have seen his mom's face when the first book he picked up to read fell out of the mylar bag (with backing board) and right out onto the dusty gravel road next to the car. smile.gif

But, I didn't care about keeping books in mint shape when I was his age. I just wanted to read them. So, the only books I share right now are ones that I'm not worried about keeping in mint shape...and then I try not to flinch when he reads them.

...and then I try not to flinch when he reads them.

I know the feeling!

Except it was with my Dad when I let him read my collection copies of Spiderman 31-33 because I knew he would get such a kick out of those stories.

Nothing bad happened luckily, but I didn't repeat it.

And soon you'll have someone in your own family to read the books with! thumbsup2.gif

Thank you, Tim. You were a total pro about the sale and you have been so generous with your advice about Duck books. It is guys like you, Bronze Bruce and Mr. High Grade to name a few that have supported/reignited my love of comic collecting.

Congratulations! The "Race to the South Seas" looks like a real pearl!

---

Now that I'm at it, I got some image stitching software so I can post a better scan of this. Still a few pieces missing that I'll have to add some day...

tt_splash_alg1.jpg

Edited by tb

That trick or treat art kills me, its so clean.

I was thinking the same thing. What a loss that basically none of his art was saved. frown.gif Can you imagine how good his four color covers would have looked? Or how good the cover to US1 would look? frown.gifcrazy.gifforeheadslap.gif

> how many Barks Originals are known in the marketplace? JUst comic work, not recreations.

Matti Eronen's book lists 10 1/2 pages + 1 cover from the '40s and around 30 story pages + 3 covers from the '50s. Aside from 2 covers from 1951 (including that for FC 367), the censored Trick or Treat splash is the earliest known art from the '50s.

-------

> any links to the covers?

I believe I've seen the FC 367 cover in some ancient catalog but I can't remember where. Geppi had it colored by Barks in '95. The other cover is WDC&S 133 which was depicted in Christie's '93 catalog (which I unfortunately don't have at hand).

According to Eronen (anyone interested in this stuff should get his book), the following pre-1960 covers still exist:

WDCS 96, 1948 (my avatar)

WDCS 133, 1951

FC 367

WDCS 214

Eronen's list may not be complete, but very few exclusions have surfaced since it was published in '94.

Edited by tb