• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

Weird Paper,

The Wise Little Hen is on my pickup list. I have seen several DD 978s but I

have not seen this book surface as often.

The linen book seems to be extremely common compared to the WLH. Though WLH dust jacket seems impossible, though. Also, a really tough find is the 1936 yellow book with a dust jacket. I let mine go years ago in trade for a JLA 1 (which I regretted)

1297589-ddlinen.jpg

Pardon the weird reflection from the mylar. The book doesn't have leprosy.

1297589-ddlinen.jpg.9ab49d653d4cc979b8ca0ebf451bae56.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

[Also, a really tough find is the 1936 yellow book with a dust jacket. I let mine go

years ago in trade for a JLA 1 (which I regretted)

The 1936 book is scarce enough but seldom seen with the dust jacket. Here is my 1936

copy with dust jacket (posted earlier in this thread. I outbid ebayer mamanook for this book.

Was this your copy at one time?

DonaldDuckBook.jpg

[Also, a really tough find is the 1936 yellow book with a dust jacket. I let mine go

years ago in trade for a JLA 1 (which I regretted)

The 1936 book is scarce enough but seldom seen with the dust jacket. Here is my 1936

copy with dust jacket (posted earlier in this thread. I outbid ebayer mamanook for this book.

Was this your copy at one time?

DonaldDuckBook.jpg

It's distinctly possible. Is it super clean under the dj? I had traded it to John Fairless sometime around 1998.

It's distinctly possible. Is it super clean under the dj? I had traded it to John Fairless sometime around 1998.

Pretty clean. I would rate the actual book a VF-.

That sounds about right. You know, I was thinking about that book, and I remembered it had a very distinctive musty smell. No foxing or water damage, just a subtle, but distinct, smell.

...and Donald's first appearance in the book...

1296651-dd.jpg

Wonderful quality to the illustration in that book -- it looks like they involved one of their animation background artists.

> Canadian reprints

You can see some Canadian Four Color submissions in the CGC census. Listed under "Wilson Publishing" or something like that. I'm sure someone here has a complete list.

> Nice book! (why the screename change?)

tb from my eBay id (timrous_beastie). A bit more incognito since everything posted here goes on permanent record.

Here's another book I think is cool. This '39 giveaway is one of the most fragile Disney books ever - very hard to find this nice. Mickey Mouse Mag V3#3 for comparison.

mm39_1000.jpg

mmv33_705.jpg

The Heritage auction featured one of my most wanted grails and I was very excited to be able to add this to my collection. It is probably hard even for seasoned Duck fans to see what makes the rejected cover art to Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 96 so special so I thought I'd explain a bit more about it.

First, the drawing is from 1948. This makes it one of only 11 1/2 pages of Barks' comic book art from the 1940's to have survived (and the oldest of all surviving covers). A while back, I posted the original page from the rejected "Silent Night" story (1945) that I was able to purchase a few years ago. These are the only two examples of 1940's Barks art that to my knowledge have surfaced in the last decade. This particular piece last sold at Howard Lowery in 1993 (when I was a poor undergrad). It was purchased by Bruce Hamilton who later consigned Barks to do the coloring.

Even more remarkable (and sad) is that the drawing is the one and only piece of inked comic book art to have survived from the period between August 1945 and May 1951. Aside from two surviving covers from 1951 (including the one to FC 367 which is now in Steve Geppi's collection), this spans the period between Four Color 62 ("Frozen Gold") and Donald Duck 26 ("Trick or Treat"): the time when Barks was at the very peak of his career.

The cover dates from March 1948, the same month as "The Sheriff of Bullet Valley" story from FC 199. The resemblance in style between the two covers is striking. Barks' work from the late '40s is easily recognizable and any Duck fan will be able to date drawings from 1945, 1948, and 1951 instantly. For an original art collector, it is heartbreaking to consider that this one drawing is the only one from the Golden Age of Barks' comic book production still in existence: everything else was burned.

So, in the case of early Barks artwork choice is a luxury that does not exist. The cover may not be the greatest (it only survived because Barks got the proportions wrong and had to redraw it) and most OA fans will surely agree that coloring a unique 1948 cover is not that great an idea (to put it kindly). At least it was Barks himself who did it - he also colored the FC 367 cover around the same time.

Still, for me collecting just doesn't get any better that this! Early Barks originals are the giant squids of Duck hunting as far as I am concerned. Fortunately, this scarcity also means that very few people have had the privilege to see them and get addicted smile.gif.

wdcs96_cover.jpg