• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

Here's one of my lame-o modern books

Nothing wrong with any Duck book by Don Rosa! I'm still amazed that there could ever be a worthy successor Carl Barks, but Rosa fully deserves all his accolades. In fact, I would say he has not received nearly enough recognition. I need to do a better job of filling the holes in my Rosa books.

Here's a Dell Giant from 1958. My experience has been that the thicker cardboard stock covers made these books come out either in ultra-HG or really low grade, because the effect of any crease is so severe.

DDBeachParty5.jpg

Bonds, those moderns are anything but lame-o. I like your copies!

So trying something different, let me show the insides of the ducks:

from WDCS 31 - April 1943

Donald is running into some difficulties when trying to plant his Victory Garden

810256-WDCS31-April-1943s.jpg

From the Smithsonian :

"The Smithsonian Institution invites you to visit its new Victory Garden, an outdoor garden produced in conjunction with the Within These Walls... exhibition at the National Museum of American History, Behring Center. Using a design from a 1943 pamphlet, the Horticulture Services Division of the Smithsonian Institution is re-creating a World War II victory garden on the terrace outside the Museum's cafeteria. The 130-foot long garden contains over fifty varieties of vegetables and flowers that change with the seasons. The vegetables are heirloom species, older varieties that were available to gardeners during the 1940s."

Let everyone proudly display their ducks' insides!

810256-WDCS31-April-1943s.jpg.a9edcb6895830ae2d72b41639cfa63e4.jpg

Let everyone proudly display their ducks' insides!

I was really tempted to put up a photo of a roasted duck hanging in the windowfront of a traditional Cantonese restaurant, but I refrained. tongue.gif

Cool, I like your philosophy! I'm going to drive home in my real Lamborghini tonight. Well, it's a real Lamborghini to me. Others may look at it and see a Toyota, but [#@$%!!!] them, only my version of reality counts!

27_laughing.gif Good one!

I would have put this in the proper thread, but I didn't want to bump that piece of garbage. Raven and Hobgoblin both live in some bizarro world where "everything is as real and valuable as I want it to be!" cloud9.gif I need to move there. I can live in my eleventy billion dollar house while admiring my original copy of the Constitution and Canterbury Tales first edition.

Cool, I like your philosophy! I'm going to drive home in my real Lamborghini tonight. Well, it's a real Lamborghini to me. Others may look at it and see a Toyota, but [#@$%!!!] them, only my version of reality counts!

I would have put this in the proper thread, but I didn't want to bump that piece of garbage. Raven and Hobgoblin both live in some bizarro world where "everything is as real and valuable as I want it to be!" cloud9.gif I need to move there. I can live in my eleventy billion dollar house while admiring my original copy of the Constitution and Canterbury Tales first edition.

Andy, you scared the hell out of me for a second! I was wondering what brainfart would have caused me to post a reply to raven in this ducks thread

Andy, you scared the hell out of me for a second! I was wondering what brainfart would have caused me to post a reply to raven in this ducks thread

27_laughing.gif

Michael, are these scans from the original comics? 893whatthe.gif

They look so vibrant and intense, like they're from glossy page reprints rather than newsprint pages! Keep it up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Michael, are these scans from the original comics? 893whatthe.gif

They look so vibrant and intense, like they're from glossy page reprints rather than newsprint pages! Keep it up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wish! You're correct these are from reprints my friend. Call me crazy but I figured I scan so much stuff for the other thead that I could easily squeeze in another page while I was at it so yeah I plan on posting regularly, again chronologically, from the Barks 10 pagers. I know people would also like to see the Scrooge and Donald Duck Adventures comics but I got started with the 10 pagers so I'll go on with those for now. We'll see where this goes.

I know some of the non-duck collectors have been really surprised at how much they like the ducks from seeing them in this thread so I am stoking the fire.

I know some of the non-duck collectors have been really surprised at how much they like the ducks from seeing them in this thread so I am stoking the fire.

As long as they don't like them enough to start bidding on HG copies, then we'll all be just fine!

The Duck in the Iron Pants is my all time favorite Bark's story. I love the end when they make a stove out of his armor and spend the winter out in the fort cooking hotdogs! grin.gif

Great pages ft88. It's amazing how difficult it is to pick a single page out of those 10 pagers as so many are stunning on their own!

WDCS 33 - June 1943

DD tries to impress the girl and, of course, lands flat on his belly. Great pages as well of HDL dressing up as a shark.

811867-WDCS33-June-1943s.jpg

811867-WDCS33-June-1943s.jpg.75f118ce346ca6a01f62dc1efe7f3dcf.jpg

from WDCS 34 - July 1943

If you wonder what's happening to DD: he started the day deciding he would do nothing but good deeds and of course they all backfire on him, including him feeling he should volunteer a match to light his funeral pyre!

812275-WDCS34-July-1943s.jpg

812275-WDCS34-July-1943s.jpg.66307d92d38ace1a4497fe4fb68d4641.jpg

from WDCS 35 - August 1943

So DD decides to spend the day riding out of a dude ranch in the desert and of course they get off course and DD won't listen to HDL's advice. A rather slow moving 10-pager actually

813588-WDCS35-August-1943s.jpg

813588-WDCS35-August-1943s.jpg.4c9c6748a2fede2c926bdb979fcf29e5.jpg

from WDCS 36 - September 1943

So the story starts with DD bragging and the nephews calling his bluff making him believe there's a fox to trap but DD figures it is a trick and trick the tricksters by getting a large dog out of the pound and making it look like he trapped a wolf (forget about foxes). HDL undaunted want to show up DD (who cheated) and they show him their new trap of which DD makes fun in this page:

814068-WDCS36-September-1943s.jpg

814068-WDCS36-September-1943s.jpg.24a6037fe906210553b29a55ae787bf7.jpg