• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

AAARGH frustrated.gif...those boys at CGC really missed on this one... it's not a Rosa cover it's a GA Carl Barks cover.

Story in this book was made by Rosa and inspiration came from this old cover. Markings on the handbag there added.

I know this cover is an old Barks cover, but are you sure it's not a new drawing by Rosa inspired by the Barks cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a stunning copy of that VP 1 too.... stunning other than the 1 1/2" spine split on the front cover.

Very distressing. Then again, it would have cost me 300% as much without it.

This is kind of cheating, but this just arrived in the mail today and using MH's scan saves me the trouble of scanning myself.

WDCS203.jpg

You sound surprised. If this was mistakenly sent to you, forward it to me. I'll pay the postage! insane.gif

You sound surprised. If this was mistakenly sent to you, forward it to me. I'll pay the postage! insane.gif

You don't get unsolicited books mailed to you by dealers all the time too?

27_laughing.gif Not surprised, just guilty because I didn't make my own scan. I WAS pleasantly surprised by how sharp this book was, absolutely immaculate except the book must have taken a minor hit at the top of the spine at some point in its life, otherwise without a doubt a solid 9.6.

Yesterday's Just Kids Nostalgia auction raised the bar further for top notch duck books. Some results:

WDC&S 22 CGC 9.2: $4,591

WDC&S 23 CGC 8.5: $1,265

WDC&S 43 CGC 9.0: $2,778

WDC&S 48 CGC 9.2: $3,019

FC 29 CGC 7.0: $3,870

FC 62 CGC 9.0: $6,401

FC 199 CGC 9.2: $5,439

FC 263 CGC 9.0: $2,745

If prices like these might inspire anyone to sell their early high grade WDC&S or Barks Four Colors, please send me a note.

---

Below is another file copy I bought last month.

wdcs17_met_m.jpg

Edited by hkp

FC 199 CGC 9.2: $5,439

FC 263 CGC 9.0: $2,745

893whatthe.gif It's official, I've been priced out of the market! frown.gif Time to send some letters to the Fed urging Mr. Greenspan to jack up interest rates to strengthen the dollar and crush the Euro, so all our high grade ducks will stop being exported to Europe and, uh, be exported to Hong Kong where they rightfully belong! tongue.gif

If prices like these might inspire anyone to sell their early high grade WDC&S or Barks Four Colors, please send me a note.

Well, there's rumors of a nice 9.6 WDC&S 85 being available, but I guess that's not early enough...

Nice pick-up, by the way.

I'd love to buy the #85 except that a CGC 9.X Barks run of

WDC&S 40-100 probably would cost at least $75K in today's

market. I'd rather spend that kind of money in an area with

less competition. You're not going to have any problems finding

a buyer for this book.

Whilst expensive in slabbed high grade, these books are still affordable as reader copies.

I just sold 199 and 223 for $20 and $26

yes, they were low grade copies, but the covers were mainly intact

pretty big spread between "fair" (or maybe better than fair... i figured somewhere between fair and good but these readers can be tricky) and 9.2! $20ish vs. $1500!

but hey, i made a profit on them, so i'm cool. i'm almost certain i paid under $10 each for them and may have been under $5.

anyway, they were beat up enough that i wasn't particularly partial to them. i'm probably going to keep my FC 108 ("terror on the river") which is probably somewhere between a fine and a VF.

thumbsup2.gif Clearly a popular cover. We should see how many different editions of this cover we can post. We're currently at 3: original, Gladstone reprint, Mexican edition.

A couple of my favorite books, both with great cover art and both exceptionally tough to find this nice. I'd be surprised if the MM V1#6 is not the nicest copy in existence - the print run was less than 100,000. Sniped the WDC&S 10 from mamanook a couple of years ago. $2,500 seemed expensive then but suddenly looks like a bargain after the Just Kids Nostalgia auction. Wouldn't sell this book for $10,000 since I'd never be able to replace it.

mmv16.jpg

wdcs10.jpg

A couple of my favorite books, both with great cover art and both exceptionally tough to find this nice. I'd be surprised if the MM V1#6 is not the nicest copy in existence - the print run was less than 100,000. Sniped the WDC&S 10 from mamanook a couple of years ago. $2,500 seemed expensive then but suddenly looks like a bargain after the Just Kids Nostalgia auction. Wouldn't sell this book for $10,000 since I'd never be able to replace it.

Those are haliciously nice books, hkp! thumbsup2.gif

What was the Jusk Kids Nostalgia auction?