• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,439 posts in this topic

That's a really nice copy. It's hard to tell about the restoration removal...I thought it looked like a tear was sealed (amateur) in the upper left hand front cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifm. could be dirt, I guess. Too bad I don't have an extra 4 grand lying around!

That's a great book. I happen to know the owner of the CGC 6.0. He told me that he was very happy after buying it at Heritage and that it looked a bit undergraded. I suspect a 7.0 would break $15,000.

Saw your Bugs Bunny Four Colors somewhere else, ft88. Those are really beautiful books - thanks for posting them.

Super-nice looking book. thumbsup2.gif

Is that crappy scan from the auction listing or is that from the scanner in your office? poke2.gif

It's from the scanner in my office, but I don't think it's such a crappy scan compared to the previous office scans. confused-smiley-013.gif It's actually a high-res scan, but when I loaded it on photobucket and then linked it here, it's coming out relatively small.

It's from the scanner in my office, but I don't think it's such a crappy scan compared to the previous office scans. confused-smiley-013.gif It's actually a high-res scan, but when I loaded it on photobucket and then linked it here, it's coming out relatively small.

Just giving you a hard time for not getting your own scanner. It's just disappointing to see the glare sponts on what are almost certainly among the nicest copies of particular comics.

Just giving you a hard time for not getting your own scanner. It's just disappointing to see the glare sponts on what are almost certainly among the nicest copies of particular comics.

It's my own form of a watermark to prevent thieves from ripping off my scans. tongue.gif As if those guys would ever wise up and stop trying to sell Action 1s and AF 15s!

Here is another one of the elusive Barks March of Comics books. This is No. 4, which has the classic Barks story, "The Maharajah Donald":

976216-MarchCom4%282%29.jpg

By the way, I wanted to let the Board's duck fans know that I have consigned several dozen early 1950's duck books to the next few Heritage Amazing Comics Auctions, which will be running from October 30 through December 4. Most of the books are graded between 7.5 and 9.2 (the grades were very conservative), and are either the highest or second highest graded CGC copies. Also, almost all of them have white pages.

If you are interested in duck books from this era, you should check them out. I am letting them go to offset some of my recent purchases.

RHG

976216-MarchCom4(2).jpg.9bed4f60117a7c5e9ca0fb6d60d6a30d.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

Not to slam CGC for the millionth time, but they sure seem to have it against the Older Disney books. Here's a #13 on ebay that is wicked nice

WDCS 13 on ebay

And here is my issue which I also think is undergraded by about a point - it graded out as a 6.0

WDCS13 front

WDCS13 back

As compared to this All American 17 I was watching

on ebay

Something just doesn't seem quite right here. 2 or 3 points don't make a trend but it has that feel.

That's a gorgeous FC 300 tth2, congratulations!

Thought it would be fun to post part of an old Poughkeepsie file copy

listing. The books marked "PK" that I know of have been coming back from

CGC anywhere between 7.5 and 9.4 (the PK FC 300 is now a CGC 9.2).

RHG, I'll be sure to watch out for your books and spread the word.

pk.jpg

hkp, thanks for putting up the list. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Certainly a trip down memory lane, including the fact that the list is handwritten. I want to cry when I see those prices, particularly for the NM/M FC 199 & 203. Of course, the PK notation touches on one of my pet peeves from the old days, which was that dealers would give the pedigree or file copy notation in lieu of a grade, and as we know not all pedigrees/file copies were NM. May I ask who was the dealer/seller?

FYI, the PK copy of Uncle Scrooge #9 came back from CGC as a 8.0 (sold to me as a NM book by Michael Naiman mad.gif).

And I believe a number of the Ducks that have been sold by Paul Gambaccini (execsec) on eBay recently are PK copies.

hkp, thanks for putting up the list. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Certainly a trip down memory lane, including the fact that the list is handwritten. I want to cry when I see those prices, particularly for the NM/M FC 199 & 203. Of course, the PK notation touches on one of my pet peeves from the old days, which was that dealers would give the pedigree or file copy notation in lieu of a grade, and as we know not all pedigrees/file copies were NM. May I ask who was the dealer/seller?

FYI, the PK copy of Uncle Scrooge #9 came back from CGC as a 8.0 (sold to me as a NM book by Michael Naiman mad.gif).

And I believe a number of the Ducks that have been sold by Paul Gambaccini (execsec) on eBay recently are PK copies.

What was the defect on the US #9 to bring i to 8.0?

My impression is that the PKs vary in grade just at the Harvey file copies. Was the list posted here the "definitive sale list" or was it just the list of some of the books by a particular seller?

The list is from a single seller (I forget his name).

Below is a list of various markings that identify file copies. Note the browning near the edges of the interior fc (sorry for the bad scan). Many otherwise gorgeous copies (including the FC 456 shown below) have this defect. Also, many file copies have no markings at all (the most incredible file copy run I've ever seen was in this category). The bottom scan shows the publication date written in pen. There is another variation of (generally lower grade) file copies that have interior pages missing.

The fact that file copies appear with many combinations of all these markings suggest to me that a substantial number of sets survived in various places. Based on my own observations and what I've heard, I'd estimate the number to be somewhere between half a dozen (lower bound) and two dozen copies per book. The vast majority, however, would grade 9.0 or lower.

I'd be very interested in hearing other observations on file copies, especially about other identifying markings.

fc_stamp.jpg

File copy stamp.

fc_stamp_sig.jpg

File copy stamp + editor's signature. Many books appear with just the signature and no stamp.

fc_writing.jpg

All copies of this variation that I've seen had the same hand writing, but the size of the writing varies widely (sometimes takes up the entire front cover).

fc_edge.jpg

Browning near the edges of the interior covers. Even 50s file copies often have brittle edges.

fc_stamps.jpg

Some file copies only have these markings, on others the front cover is marked as well.

fc456_1300.jpg

This book has browning interior edges as the only (hidden but serious) defect. Always ask for a scan of the interior cover when buying Dell file copies, especially from the 50s.

Not to slam CGC for the millionth time, but they sure seem to have it against the Older Disney books. Here's a #13 on ebay that is wicked nice

WDCS 13 on ebay

And here is my issue which I also think is undergraded by about a point - it graded out as a 6.0

WDCS13 front

WDCS13 back

As compared to this All American 17 I was watching

on ebay

Something just doesn't seem quite right here. 2 or 3 points don't make a trend but it has that feel.

I assumed that there was something structurally wrong with the book (back cover problems, looseness at staples, or something) that we can't see. Obviously, form that scan, the book looks to be a 7.0ish book. I was considering slapping a bid on it but I was hesitant simply for that reason.

I was actually geared up to try and pick up one of execsec's books for a decent price but davesdugout pretty much has the highest bid on all of them (most at > 2x guide). What stops me from bidding higher is that say a 9.0 is the highest graded copy right now...if someone gets a 9.2 or a 9.4 graded of a relatively common late-issue WDCS your 3-4x guide you paid will suddenly seem pretty foolish, I think.

What was the defect on the US #9 to bring i to 8.0?

Major non-color breaking creases. I personally graded it as a VF also, and should`ve returned it to him but was just too lazy to do so. Naiman doesn`t seem to factor these into his raw grades at all, based on a large run of U$`s that I purchased from him.

My impression is that the PKs vary in grade just at the Harvey file copies.

I agree.