• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

893whatthe.gif Is that yours? hail.gif

I told you I had one a while back. I just didn't see much need to post it after "someone" (cough*tth2*cough) started the thread with a 9.6 FC178 and 9.4 FC 386. poke2.gif

I told you I had one a while back. I just didn't see much need to post it after "someone" (cough*tth2*cough) started the thread with a 9.6 FC178 and 9.4 FC 386. poke2.gif

Looks like a 9.4-9.6 to me! What would you grade it as?

Looks like a 9.4-9.6 to me! What would you grade it as?

Scan's a little nicer than the book. Should be a NM.

(I just checked the census and I trust yours is the only 9.4? I can hear the sighs of relief!)

I would expect there to be other 9.4s and probably a 9.6 or two out there. I had a chance to buy a what I recall was a NM copy many moons ago and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It was a perfect book for slabbing because it was not a file copy and had beautiful pages and front cover colors. The difficulty was the QP of the interior pages. The image was EXTREMELY off-centered to the point of being within 1/8" of the edge. I could not get over that. Would CGC note that type of defect on the label?

Scan's a little nicer than the book. Should be a NM.

(I just checked the census and I trust yours is the only 9.4? I can hear the sighs of relief!)

I would expect there to be other 9.4s and probably a 9.6 or two out there. I had a chance to buy a what I recall was a NM copy many moons ago and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It was a perfect book for slabbing because it was not a file copy and had beautiful pages and front cover colors. The difficulty was the QP of the interior pages. The image was EXTREMELY off-centered to the point of being within 1/8" of the edge. I could not get over that. Would CGC note that type of defect on the label?

Yes, my copy is the one in the census. I have no illusions that there are not more 9.4 and even better copies out there, it was a very popular book and has been a must have for every serious Scrooge collector for a long time. Yours is really sharp, though, looks better than my copy.

Doubtful that CGC would note a manufacturing defect like off-centered pages. Too bad you didn't buy it, you could have slabbed it, the defect would be invisible to the rest of the world, and you could've taken the undoubtedly generous proceeds to add to your already-impressive collection.

Heck, I could have just kept my FF6 that I sold as a 9.2 for $600 and was eventually graded a 9.2. As you well know, the Marvel boys spend the big bucks!

Wow! That FC 386 looks right up there with tth2's. Always wondered why it is so impossible to find the early US in NM(?). Maybe the guide had just been way too low for many years.

A few more scans that belong in this thread. A few years back, I was offered a VF unrestored WDC&S 1. By the time I had raised the cash the next day, the seller had second thoughts and ended up keeping the book frown.gif. The copy below got a 6.5 - best I've seen for sale in the last 5 years (excluding the CGC VF+ which I thought was over-priced and -graded). MM Mag V5#12, which I consider to be more important historically, is courtesy of rarehighgrade who sold this baby to me last year.

m512_900.jpg

wdcs1_900.jpg

Heck, I could have just kept my FF6 that I sold as a 9.2 for $600 and was eventually graded a 9.2. As you well know, the Marvel boys spend the big bucks!

Tell me about it, I sold my CGC 9.6 FF 6 for a mere $6000 or so several years ago, and I heard it sold for much much much more later on. frustrated.gif

Tell me about it, I sold my CGC 9.6 FF 6 for a mere $6000 or so several years ago, and I heard it sold for much much much more later on. frustrated.gif

Let's stop talking Marvels in the Duck thread. I think the guy that started this whole thing might get upset.

gossip.gif Bummer about the FF6.

Those are two great Donald Duck books, hkp! thumbsup2.gif

For what it's worth, here are some Duck books from Argentina. I think the covers for this title were usually original to Argentina. Brazil had the same series but often with entirely different cover art, usually featuring Jose Carioca. These are all about 1948. Unfortunately the covers are newsprint instead of gloss so they didn't survive in incredible condition.

First, Donald in pants!

z-pato-tenis.JPG

Christmas

z-pato-navidad.JPG

Christmas #2

z-pato-tres.JPG

The cover joke: The sign says "the best spot remover" and Donald's jacket has a hole burned into it.

z-pato-manchas.JPG

Any new ducks from anyone?

Here is a sweet HG beauty from the Tichler's Finer Foods pedigree. Not golden age, but beggars can't be choosers! tongue.gif Incidentally, this is the first comic I ever owned....

cloud9.gif

donald.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That reminds me, I'll bring in my copy of FC #147 (the original Volcano Alley) to scan and post here.

And without further ado, here it is (the faint white line running down the right side is a scratch on the plastic, not the book!):

fc147.jpg

That reminds me, I'll bring in my copy of FC #147 (the original Volcano Alley) to scan and post here.

As always, mad.gif . tongue.gif Another amazing book! Here's one of my lame-o modern books tonofbricks.gif

dda12.jpg