• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

3245478368_b561f49fac_o.jpg

THANKS!

I really like that one -- Kelly (right?), unusual (but not unprecedented) combination of characters, rich brown background.

Dopey got used more as a solo character than the other 6 dwarves, didn't he? I wonder why. Most appeal to kids? Very Harpo Marx-like on this cover.

Jack

it's one of my fave Kellys as well. The brown is so nice, and as you say, I also stands out for being a Dopey cover. He was more marketed in everything, he even got a Pez dispenser! I guess they thought he had the most appeal, and they are probably right. I think all 3 dwarf cover WDCs are masterpieces.

Congrats, shiver. Have you seen the original Kelly cover to #45 in the Heritage auction (92123)? I noticed some fun details on it that I'd never seen before - like the drumsticks for example.

I just picked up a couple more Mobil giveaways. In this picture, the upper one is a (badly cut) Australian edition - not too unusual in these cheaply-produced comics. The story is a cut-down version of the ten-pager in WDC&S 86.

The lower part of the pic is from the interior of the NZ edition. The covers and stories are essentially the same, although the NZ one has eight pages of puzzles and games in the middle, all untouched (yay!). I thought I'd show you how they cut down these stories to fit into less than seven equivalent pages. In the WDC&S original, there is a sequence where Donald rushes out nude :o and HD&L have to remind him to go back and put clothes on. (Only the top half of course, which is better than being naked because...? )

The dialogue in the original is (Come back) (and put your clothes on) (before you get arrested). You can see here how a different letterer has changed the dialogue to allow that sequence to be cut out and the story to more or less flow.

The other reason for posting that particular page is that it allows me to include that great panel of DD running with the axe. It looked even better reworked to include a fire engine going the other way for the Barks Library slipcase. It looks less good on the cover reworked by an inferior artist for this edition.

Cheers from Oz.

Andrew

mobil17.jpg

One of my favorites! A Western Printing file copy from redmelvin. Woof! 3256765895_241c463080_b.jpg

It goes well with my avatar.

Nice pick up! I've always wondered whether anyone has ever tried to return a copy to the editorial dept in Racine, WI?

One of my favorites! A Western Printing file copy from redmelvin. Woof! 3256765895_241c463080_b.jpg

Nice pick up! I've always wondered whether anyone has ever tried to return a copy to the editorial dept in Racine, WI?

If you are looking to make that return in Racine here are pictures of the old offices!

Western moved out a long time ago though so good luck on delivery!

73627.jpg.6092520dd00dac796903ba6d6acba68d.jpg

73628.jpg.7c62300a168f8de97bd71c910afbd750.jpg

ooo.....ooooh......nice. So can we say........the dentist gave you a "filling" :insane:

Not a comic......but definately a Duck !! Had this for over 20 now, and I still like lookin at it. (Ignore the Boy Band model in the pic )......

IMG_3904.jpg

Edited by Senormac