• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I've been really taken with the WDCS title lately...and while I adore the Barks stories, I'm liking the pre-Barks issues a lot too! (Hoping to find some more early ones at the February NY con....) hm

Here's a smattering of recent pickups... thanks to JeffB for the last two. (thumbs u

71627.jpg

72342.jpg

72339.jpg

71683.jpg

72341.jpg

72340.jpg

What an amazing cover. Good lord how cool would the art to that be.

I've never seen that cover before.

I've been reading my wdcs volumes and it strikes me that its too bad all those wdcs stories had gag covers, instead of covers that were associated with the stories they told. I can't help but feel that one of the reasons I feel a special attachment to the DD one shots is that I can easily associate the cover with the story, where I just can't do that with the wdcs books.

To illustrate my point, if the super snooper story (somewhere between #100 - 110?) had a super snooper cover, with Donald-as-superhero on the cover, I guarantee you it would sell for more.

It also strikes me as strange that the Uncle Scrooge title went from associative covers like your Back to the Klondike, and then to gag covers... and then back to associative covers. What the hey? Was Barks ever asked about that?

Excellent point, I never thought about the gag/associative trends. One of the hardest things about distinguishing so many issues within the whole Dell/GK Uncle Scrooge run was the gag covers, which got compounded because they`d be reprinted over and over.

And the lack of issue numbers on the GK covers, of course. :pullhair:

What an amazing cover. Good lord how cool would the art to that be.

I've never seen that cover before.

Say it ain't so? That issue is the mac daddy.

Statuesque Spendthrifts! :applause:

korneliuskvakk.gif

ah yes! the maharajah of howduyustan! Love that story

I've been reading my wdcs volumes and it strikes me that its too bad all those wdcs stories had gag covers, instead of covers that were associated with the stories they told. I can't help but feel that one of the reasons I feel a special attachment to the DD one shots is that I can easily associate the cover with the story, where I just can't do that with the wdcs books.

To illustrate my point, if the super snooper story (somewhere between #100 - 110?) had a super snooper cover, with Donald-as-superhero on the cover, I guarantee you it would sell for more.

It also strikes me as strange that the Uncle Scrooge title went from associative covers like your Back to the Klondike, and then to gag covers... and then back to associative covers. What the hey? Was Barks ever asked about that?

Excellent point, I never thought about the gag/associative trends. One of the hardest things about distinguishing so many issues within the whole Dell/GK Uncle Scrooge run was the gag covers, which got compounded because they`d be reprinted over and over.

Tell me about it! I can have read the issue five times and generally speaking I still won't have a clue what story I'm about to read by looking at the front cover

I've been reading my wdcs volumes and it strikes me that its too bad all those wdcs stories had gag covers, instead of covers that were associated with the stories they told.

Tell me about it! I can have read the issue five times and generally speaking I still won't have a clue what story I'm about to read by looking at the front cover

I think I have to stick up for the gag covers here! Those Scrooge covers in the Dell run are, to my mind, some of Barks' finest work. Classic composition, solid colours that look great and really striking images. (I have a couple framed on the wall of my office here - #4 and #10. I'm going to add #12 soon.) I think the Scrooge covers took a turn for the worse at #45, when the story-specific ones re-appeared. I'll caveat all this by saying that FC 386 and FC 456 have great and iconic covers and the first gag cover FC 495 leaves me cold. But the others make those Scrooge issues classic comics and a beautiful timeless product (which is why they keep getting reused).

BTW the Gold key issues have a date publication code that can let you work out which is which. For example, WDCS 264 is 10011-209, which breaks down to (1) decade = sep 1962- aug 1972 (0011) = WDCS (2) = 1962 (09) = september. Grabbing one at random beside me, it is 90011-205 or a WDCS between sep 72 and aug 82, and specifically is May 1982. (It has a great Barks gag cover too.)

The Uncle Scrooge codes work the same way, but the title id is 0038. So 10038-611 is Uncle Scrooge November 1966, 90038-803 is the March 1978 issue and so on. Apologies if you all knew that already, but I was very pleased when I worked it out!

Since the first one seemed to be of interest, here's another. This one has a different car for Scrooge on the back cover. I suspect this scene was redrawn from Barks panels by the unknown Australian artist(s) who produced local Disney covers sometimes.

Cheers,

Andrew

mobil21.jpg

mobil21back.jpg

what's going on with the cover of 108? The art generally looks barks to me except the faces which always looked waaay off. Its like they got someone else to ink the faces??

or is it a barks cover at all. come to think of it the handling of donald's hands is terrible. Sure am jealous of your copy though shiv

I like Buettner's covers. They are different than barks, but this cover is SO strong compositionally, and the subtle background color just makes it sing in my opinion. I actually think Kelly is a better Duck cover artist than Barks, but Barks is without a doubt the best storyteller of the clan.

Edited by shiverbones

I've been reading my wdcs volumes and it strikes me that its too bad all those wdcs stories had gag covers, instead of covers that were associated with the stories they told.

I think I have to stick up for the gag covers here! Those Scrooge covers in the Dell run are, to my mind, some of Barks' finest work. Classic composition, solid colours that look great and really striking images. (I have a couple framed on the wall of my office here - #4 and #10. I'm going to add #12 soon.) I think the Scrooge covers took a turn for the worse at #45, when the story-specific ones re-appeared. I'll caveat all this by saying that FC 386 and FC 456 have great and iconic covers and the first gag cover FC 495 leaves me cold. But the others make those Scrooge issues classic comics and a beautiful timeless product (which is why they keep getting reused).

BTW the Gold key issues have a date publication code that can let you work out which is which. For example, WDCS 264 is 10011-209, which breaks down to (1) decade = sep 1962- aug 1972 (0011) = WDCS (2) = 1962 (09) = september. Grabbing one at random beside me, it is 90011-205 or a WDCS between sep 72 and aug 82, and specifically is May 1982. (It has a great Barks gag cover too.)

The Uncle Scrooge codes work the same way, but the title id is 0038. So 10038-611 is Uncle Scrooge November 1966, 90038-803 is the March 1978 issue and so on. Apologies if you all knew that already, but I was very pleased when I worked it out!

don't get me wrong, I love the gag covers... I was just fawning all over that #138 earlier in this thread. Taken on their own they are just wonderful. But I do dislike that you can't associate the story to the cover.

great stuff about the codes.

what's going on with the cover of 108? The art generally looks barks to me except the faces which always looked waaay off. Its like they got someone else to ink the faces??

or is it a barks cover at all. come to think of it the handling of donald's hands is terrible. Sure am jealous of your copy though shiv

I like Buettner's covers. They are different than barks, but this cover is SO strong compositionally, and the subtle background color just makes it sing in my opinion. I actually think Kelly is a better Duck cover artist than Barks, but Barks is without a doubt the best storyteller of the clan.

Well kelly's #69 is my favorite WDCS cover, period, so I know what you are getting at, although I like barks way too much to put kelly in front of him in anything ;)

anyways, 108 is a nice enough cover (the fact I mistook it for barks says a lot, but I'll stick with what I said about donald's hands, and the faces.

anyways, 108 is a nice enough cover (the fact I mistook it for barks says a lot, but I'll stick with what I said about donald's hands, and the faces.

I must have missed something here - are we talking about WDC&S 108? the one with Donald and HDL on a small sailboat?

That is a lay-down classic Barks cover. One of my absolute favourites! Barrier's book has it as Barks and it was one of Gladstones Barks' poster series (I want to buy one if anyone knows where I can get it). Or did I miss something?

I must have missed something here - are we talking about WDC&S 108? the one with Donald and HDL on a small sailboat?

Bronty is talking about the cover of the Four Color 108 that SweetieBones posted earlier - Terror of the River, and not WDCS 108 (thumbs u

Bronty is talking about the cover of the Four Color 108 that SweetieBones posted earlier - Terror of the River, and not WDCS 108 (thumbs u

Oh..... :blush: