• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I have the art for WDC+S #11. You can see that the page encouraged the image to be too horizontal, and that some changes had to be made for the vertical format of the cover. The art and published cover are attached.

Richard

LBartWDCS11email.jpg

WDCS11.jpg

Who is the artist?

WDCS11.jpg

I've never seen that cover before !! Oh, I prob have.....but it never regestered like it does now that you post up this pic for it. Thats a great cover !!!

A lot of great posts over the last few days. I too love Bronty's avatar - WDCS 69 has got to be in the top 3 among the Kelly covers.

YK: fantastic stuff - thanks a lot for sharing. I have seen similar art for a number of Mickey Mouse Magazine coves (see link below) but never for a WDCS. I wouldn't be surprised if #11 is unique in this respect since it is the only one I can think of that was inspired by a short(?)...

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=172440&GSub=40439

NR: Thanks, I had never seen this picture and it's a bit of a puzzle to me. The art looks the same as the original except some of the longer straight lines outlining the room do not appear in the art I have. There is another reproduction of the B/W art in the new CBSW (vol. V) that does not have these lines. They also appear to be missing in the photo of Barks signing the art that I posted earlier.

74246.jpg

Not to disagree but 12 is a typical gag cover (car in water) but 11 13 14 are more oddball scenic. I've never even understood the gag for issue 10.

Link to issue 10 cover

I agree, I can not figure #10 out

But why should it be a gag? #10 is one of my absolute favorites because it's such a simple, iconic image of my top Duck. #3 is not funny either but it's probably the best cover in the entire run. I agree #11 is cool because it is so different, but it's too busy and confusing to be classic.

The gag seems to be either that he's dissatisfied with his puny firecrackers and has decided to move on to the cannon, or else that his firecrackers are fizzling out and he's going to use his last one to set off the cannon? Actually (shrug) I don't really get it either. But I think it is supposed to be a gag due to the cannon being there.

The gag seems to be either that he's dissatisfied with his puny firecrackers and has decided to move on to the cannon, or else that his firecrackers are fizzling out and he's going to use his last one to set off the cannon? Actually (shrug) I don't really get it either. But I think it is supposed to be a gag due to the cannon being there.

Based on the look on Donald's face I would agree with your second assessment. It is what I saw when I looked at the cover.

The gag seems to be either that he's dissatisfied with his puny firecrackers and is moving onto the cannon.

I think that's it....

It'd be funnier with some beak abuse.

Jack

His new fetish doh!

Me an' my pal, Doc Wertham

Jack

Alfredo!

(shrug) I must have the original censored variant. Pretty straight forward to me.

74282.jpg