• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

I just got this in, and thought I'd show it here. This is the last of 24 giveaway comics distributed in Australia starting in the mid 1960s. I remember getting this one with my dad when I was a kid - probably 1968. There was a New Zealand series as well. The Australian ones are numbered and glued, the NZ ones un-numbered and stapled.

They are printed on very poor quality paper and the production standards were low as well - that's a production crease right through the front cover. But they are a really neat little collectable - they are half the size of a regular book. The duck stories are Barks 10 pagers from WDC&S, but are edited down to fit the format. There are 16 pages, including front and back covers, making 7 and a bit normal comic pages. Sometimes the editing is well done, but sometimes odd gaps appear in the story. There were some Mickey Mouse issues, and a Sword in the Stone one.

These are a collection focus for me this year. I have 12 of the 24. In the (unlikely) event that you see any, you know who to PM...

mobil24.jpg

mobil24_back.jpg

wonderful!!!! I have really been after the Clarabelle cover you just posted, but the right combo of price/ grade/ eye appeal has not crossed my path yet.

Me too Matt (thumbs u

Thanks for the kind words, all.

(Who knew Clarabelle Cow had such a following on here? You learn something new every day!)

I just got this in, and thought I'd show it here. This is the last of 24 giveaway comics distributed in Australia starting in the mid 1960s. I remember getting this one with my dad when I was a kid - probably 1968. There was a New Zealand series as well. The Australian ones are numbered and glued, the NZ ones un-numbered and stapled.

... These are a collection focus for me this year. I have 12 of the 24. In the (unlikely) event that you see any, you know who to PM...

Very cool, Andrew. I really like the back cover too. I take it these are tough to track down?

... These are a collection focus for me this year. I have 12 of the 24. In the (unlikely) event that you see any, you know who to PM...

Very cool, Andrew. I really like the back cover too. I take it these are tough to track down?

Yes, the quality of the paper tends to work against them. The last half a dozen must have been printed in larger numbers, because they pop up on ebay a lot (and sell for $20-$30) but in my 6 years there, I think I have seen #1 and #2 once each. I've found a couple in antique stores too - Mobil collectables are a bit of a thing in some circles here, so I hope to get them all eventually. I have a lead on a #12 from New Zealand at the moment.

Newbie here .... my first post on this thread.

I don't have much in Ducks from the GA-era but here's one. My favorite WDCS cover as it is the 1st issue that shows Mickey on the cover under this title.

- HANK

33wdcs.jpg

Welcome to the boards. Gotta say that's a fantastic book to start with! Can I have it? Please?

I don't have much in Ducks from the GA-era but here's one. My favorite WDCS cover as it is the 1st issue that shows Mickey on the cover under this title.

- HANK

33wdcs.jpg

Sweet book! :applause:

Welcome to the boards and this thread!

- HANK

33wdcs.jpg

Gosh Hank, you really know how to bring it don't you? (worship)

(worship) You're on such a great roll!!

I received this from Count today. A childhood favorite story. I love the sequence where Donald and Scrooge roll on the ground to get rid of the mosquitoes and make rugs out of squished bugs!! lol

72403.jpg.305f50ac0c73f7561d88a4bac856f18a.jpg

what's going on with the cover of 108? The art generally looks barks to me except the faces which always looked waaay off. Its like they got someone else to ink the faces??

or is it a barks cover at all. come to think of it the handling of donald's hands is terrible. Sure am jealous of your copy though shiv

I've been reading my wdcs volumes and it strikes me that its too bad all those wdcs stories had gag covers, instead of covers that were associated with the stories they told. I can't help but feel that one of the reasons I feel a special attachment to the DD one shots is that I can easily associate the cover with the story, where I just can't do that with the wdcs books.

To illustrate my point, if the super snooper story (somewhere between #100 - 110?) had a super snooper cover, with Donald-as-superhero on the cover, I guarantee you it would sell for more.

It also strikes me as strange that the Uncle Scrooge title went from associative covers like your Back to the Klondike, and then to gag covers... and then back to associative covers. What the hey? Was Barks ever asked about that?