• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

As I understand it, Geppi bought most or all of the Crescent City books from Bill. He has slabbed some over the past few years, highlighted by the WDCS #1 that graded out as a 9.4 and sold in the last Heritage auction for over $100K. It has been in the Census for several years, as are other books that have been slabbed. The FC #9 in the picture has also been slabbed (9.4) and was also sold in the last Heritage auction.

tth2: are you sure the FC 9 from the last auction was the CC? I was comparing the two and the CC clearly looks to be printed more off-center than the Heritage copy to me.

It would not be outside the realm of possibility that Geppi took the CC books and his file copies and assembled what was his "A" run. The $64,000 question is whether what`s been offered on Heritage represents the A run.

One thing that scares me a bit is that Geppi outbid me for a #12 that graded CGC 9.0 in 2003 (I outbid him on #6 and 10 which also graded 9.0). He resold the #12 6 months later, indicating that he surely must have had a nicer copy. The new copy on Heritage is only a 7.5 which makes me think that at least not all the books are "A" copies.

I would be willing to bet that there are more than a few CC books in the current Heritage auction, as many of the WDCSs are not file copies. The CC WDCS #2 in Yellow Kid`s picture is NOT the WDCS #2 in the current auction, but perhaps the #3 is the #3 in the current auction?

As far as I can tell, the CC copies of 2 and 3 have not been certified yet. It is hard to tell but the CC #3 appears to have some marks that I don't see on the Heritage copy. The CGC grade (8.0) is also radically different from what everyone who saw the CC recall.

---

Yellow Kid: I really appreciate you posting this photo. I've been wondering about what the CC #3 looked like ever since I first read about the collection 10 years ago. This is my favorite cover in the entire run.

As I understand it, Geppi bought most or all of the Crescent City books from Bill. He has slabbed some over the past few years, highlighted by the WDCS #1 that graded out as a 9.4 and sold in the last Heritage auction for over $100K. It has been in the Census for several years, as are other books that have been slabbed. The FC #9 in the picture has also been slabbed (9.4) and was also sold in the last Heritage auction.

tth2: are you sure the FC 9 from the last auction was the CC? I was comparing the two and the CC clearly looks to be printed more off-center than the Heritage copy to me.

I had thought Bill had said it was, so I had not really checked against the CC pics that Bill had previously posted. Obviously I need to look again.

When I first met Steve at a ChicagoCon in the early 1970's, he loved GA books, especially the Disney's. He sold me a nice WDC+S #2 that completed my run. Over the years, it has been clear that his love affair with the Disney's, like mine I might add, has never weakened. I am just guessing, but if there is any way possible for him to do it, I would expect that he still has his A run. I hope he does, just because I feel like he has earned it for all he has done for the hobby. Plus, he still loves the old books. As recently as a couple of years ago, we were bidding against each other on an early Comics on Parade worth less than $50, and he was doing his own biddng. I checked, and he was also bidding on several other early books, and I thought that was great that he was still interested enough to do that.

Richard

I had thought Bill had said it was, so I had not really checked against the CC pics that Bill had previously posted. Obviously I need to look again.

Not having scans of the books back then and merely going by the group pictures we took of the books 15 years ago, it looked like the same book to me and since it was being offered around the time as the CC 1 and others by the owner of the books, it seemed like a logical assumption to make.

Heritage did notate the #1 as being from the CC collection but none of the others, but that book was a no brainer to identify.

Another note on the Uncle $crooge we've been discussing over the last month or two. I was going over my CBM # 35 last night and I noticed in the ads that Michael Naiman (advanced Duck collector) was looking for # 6, 24 and 179 in VF or better. Once again proof that # 6 is tough in grade!

My dad finally got these in today from Jan 18. :grin: (thumbs u

Excellent!!! :applause:

My dad finally got these in today from Jan 18. :grin: (thumbs u

74587.jpg

Nice books!

Uh-oh. Yet another insidious example of Beak Abuse.

On display here in its most gruesome and advanced form:

Jack

Pronoun trouble!

:roflmao: Jack, you have to start a web page to report your findings!

Well, the cause is already getting a lot of celebrity support. Elvis Costello has provided a song for our big fundraiser:

"What's so funny 'bout beak love and understanding?"

He's trying to recruit Sheryl Crow to sing it as a duet.

Jack

the Byrds reunion is just a rumor

When I first met Steve at a ChicagoCon in the early 1970's, he loved GA books, especially the Disney's. He sold me a nice WDC+S #2 that completed my run. Over the years, it has been clear that his love affair with the Disney's, like mine I might add, has never weakened. I am just guessing, but if there is any way possible for him to do it, I would expect that he still has his A run. I hope he does, just because I feel like he has earned it for all he has done for the hobby. Plus, he still loves the old books. As recently as a couple of years ago, we were bidding against each other on an early Comics on Parade worth less than $50, and he was doing his own biddng. I checked, and he was also bidding on several other early books, and I thought that was great that he was still interested enough to do that.

Richard

Geppi's love of Disney and Duck books is well known, but on the other hand he sold the CGC 9.4 WDCS #1 in the last Heritage auction and I assume the FC #16 was his too. Sometimes the realities of life trump collecting passions.

I haven't seen a new WDC&S or Uncle Scrooge for well over two months. I know Gemstone haven't been the most reliable publisher of late, but coupled with the thread on Diamond's problems, I wonder if we have seen the last of those titles?

Anyone know any different?

I haven't seen a new WDC&S or Uncle Scrooge for well over two months. I know Gemstone haven't been the most reliable publisher of late, but coupled with the thread on Diamond's problems, I wonder if we have seen the last of those titles?

Anyone know any different?

good point, I noticed the schedule looked off.