• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,444 posts in this topic

I knew that. I just forgot to type "Pluto" before the word "story" in my post (now corrected).

Love those large feature books YK - thanks for showing them off.

I don't think I've ever seen the Daisy Duck first appearence before. I wonder why Gladstone/Gemstone didn't run those. I know they did reprint the first HD&L.

Last night I was looking through my early Disney comics and thought that you might enjoy seeing the covers of the quartet of Large Feature Comics. These were oversized books, about 11 3/8" x 8 1/2", with very flimsy covers and coarse interior paper for the black and white comics. They are all hard to find, and some are truly rare, if not almost impossible to find in high grade. When I first met Matt Nelson years ago, the LFC #20 was one of the few remaining books he needed for his collection of missing covers for the Gerber book. I like the books because they just look old, and the back covers of the first three are especially interesting and hardly ever seen.

LFC #16 introduces Daisey Duck in a one-page color story on the back cover, with only the front and back covers having color, which was characteristic of the series. LFC #19 is one of the two Disney comic paint books in the series. It also has a great back cover of a clown from Dumbo's circus that most people have never seen. LFC #20 is the other comic paint book and it is best known for introducing Donald's nephews. It also shows Donald sitting up on a tree limb on the back cover, which was a most unusual setting, perhaps suggestive of his regression to the behavior of a wild duck. Finally, LFC #7, Pluto Saves the Ship, is now accepted as containing the first work of Carl Barks in comic books. As you can tell, all of these books have historical significance as well as beautiful early Disney art. The clown is one of my favorite pieces of art in any Disney comic book.

Wow, Rich! Most impressive, I have not seen most of those!

It turns out to be hard to get a decent group shot of 50 books, so let's try a different approach for my first 50 of the WDC&S 1-100 run. They are all clickable thumbnails and feel free to troll through my photobucket images if you are so inclined.

th_wdcs20.jpgth_WDCS22-1.jpgth_WDCS24.jpgth_wdcs_025.jpgth_wdcs_26.jpgth_WDCS28.jpgth_wdcs_039_ebay.jpgth_wdcs_046.jpgth_wdcs_050.jpgth_wdcs_053.jpgth_wdcs_055.jpgth_wdcs_056.jpgth_wdcs_057.jpgth_wdcs58_front.jpgth_wdcs_059.jpgth_wdcs_060.jpgth_wdcs_061.jpgth_wdcs_062.jpgth_WDCS63.jpgth_wdcs_068.jpgth_wdcs_69.jpgth_wdcs70.jpgth_wdcs_071.jpgth_wdcs_072.jpgth_wdcs_073.jpgth_wdcs_074_metro.jpgth_wdcs75.jpgth_wdcs_076.jpgth_wdcs_077.jpgth_wdcs_78.jpgth_wdcs_079.jpgth_wdcs_080.jpgth_wdcs_081.jpgth_wdcs_082.jpgth_wdcs_083.jpgth_wdcs_084.jpgth_wdcs_085.jpgth_wdcs_86.jpgth_wdcs88.jpgth_wdcs_089.jpgth_wdcs_090.jpgth_wdcs91.jpgth_wdcs_092.jpgth_wdcs_093.jpgth_wdcs94.jpgth_wdcs_095.jpgth_wdcs_096.jpgth_wdcs_097.jpgth_wdcs_098.jpgth_wdcs99.jpg

I'll have the first few of the next fifty in the next week or two. Thanks for your kind words along the way everyone.

It turns out to be hard to get a decent group shot of 50 books

+1 unless your place is set-up like Strawman's, a decent group shot of that many books is not going to turn out.

Thanks for the scans! :applause:

Amazing lineup, Andrew! :applause:

--Ye cats, a 7.0 #25. What did that happen?

--I'm still green with envy over that sharp #28...

--And I'm not focused on collecting the #51-100 run right now, but seeing them in these grades sure makes me want to.

It turns out to be hard to get a decent group shot of 50 books, so let's try a different approach for my first 50 of the WDC&S 1-100 run. They are all clickable thumbnails and feel free to troll through my photobucket images if you are so inclined.

th_wdcs20.jpgth_WDCS22-1.jpgth_WDCS24.jpgth_wdcs_025.jpgth_wdcs_26.jpgth_WDCS28.jpgth_wdcs_039_ebay.jpgth_wdcs_046.jpgth_wdcs_050.jpgth_wdcs_053.jpgth_wdcs_055.jpgth_wdcs_056.jpgth_wdcs_057.jpgth_wdcs58_front.jpgth_wdcs_059.jpgth_wdcs_060.jpgth_wdcs_061.jpgth_wdcs_062.jpgth_WDCS63.jpgth_wdcs_068.jpgth_wdcs_69.jpgth_wdcs70.jpgth_wdcs_071.jpgth_wdcs_072.jpgth_wdcs_073.jpgth_wdcs_074_metro.jpgth_wdcs75.jpgth_wdcs_076.jpgth_wdcs_077.jpgth_wdcs_78.jpgth_wdcs_079.jpgth_wdcs_080.jpgth_wdcs_081.jpgth_wdcs_082.jpgth_wdcs_083.jpgth_wdcs_084.jpgth_wdcs_085.jpgth_wdcs_86.jpgth_wdcs88.jpgth_wdcs_089.jpgth_wdcs_090.jpgth_wdcs91.jpgth_wdcs_092.jpgth_wdcs_093.jpgth_wdcs94.jpgth_wdcs_095.jpgth_wdcs_096.jpgth_wdcs_097.jpgth_wdcs_098.jpgth_wdcs99.jpg

I'll have the first few of the next fifty in the next week or two. Thanks for your kind words along the way everyone.

Just a great set of books.

You might just have some competition as this might be my next project

Finally, LFC #7, Pluto Saves the Ship, is now accepted as containing the first work of Carl Barks in comic books.

LFC7PlutoSavestheShipobv-1.jpg

Not only that, but Barks collaborated with Jack Hannah on the Pluto as he did on Pirate's Gold. INDUCKS cites Hannah with co-writing credits with Barks and Nick George. Dunno enough to know if Hannah did pencil work on that as well.

INDUCKS credits with (?) Hannah on some DD in OS 13 (Reluctant Dragon) and without (?) a DD 10-pager in WDCS 37 and 8 pages for Sears, Roebuck & Co. (WDC) Christmas Giveaway 1 (1943) as well as on Cheerios Premiums (Giveaway) W 1 - DD and the Pirates.

I only bump this as I was reading an interview with Jack Hannah by Jim Korkis from 1978 & 1981 in Didier Ghez's Walt's People vol. 1 last night where Hannah describes the process through which he and Barks worked on Pirate's Gold.

Hannah states that "I pencilled about a page and a half to two pages a weekend. We would draw it up in blue pencil and then it would have to be seen by the publishing company before we went ahead with the inking." He also recalled that "We didn't have any difficulty synchronizing our style. We both fell into it easily and I think we were both surprised at how close the drawing was, especially since we were doing it in two different homes."

As for Pluto saves the ship, Hannah states: "I did another comic story with Carl, Pluto Saves the Ship, which we cranked out together over a hot weekend without air conditioning."

INDUCKS credits Hannah ... a DD 10-pager in WDCS 37

Hey, I just picked this issue up. The story is maybe a bit underdeveloped compared to most of the Barks ones, but the art style is indeed pretty close to early Barks... very fluid and pleasing to the eye, and much better than the majority of the 'Barks fill-in' artists of the 1950s.

Hey, I just picked this issue up. The story is maybe a bit underdeveloped compared to most of the Barks ones, but the art style is indeed pretty close to early Barks... very fluid and pleasing to the eye, and much better than the majority of the 'Barks fill-in' artists of the 1950s.

Well, I don't know what training the 'Barks fill-in artists' had but by that point, Hannah had already spent 5 years as a Disney artist, as an in-betweener and an assistant, before joining the Story Department so he had the practice of the animator and the ease of drawing in addition to his formal training at Otis and Chouinard + some commercial work before joining Disney in 1933, on January 31 to be precise with a starting salary of $16 a week, to be raised quarterly by $2 if you stuck around. Hannah was a mere 20 when he joined Disney (Born January 5, 1913).

Well, I don't know what training the 'Barks fill-in artists' had but by that point, Hannah had already spent 5 years as a Disney artist, as an in-betweener and an assistant, before joining the Story Department so he had the practice of the animator and the ease of drawing in addition to his formal training at Otis and Chouinard + some commercial work before joining Disney in 1933, on January 31 to be precise with a starting salary of $16 a week, to be raised quarterly by $2 if you stuck around. Hannah was a mere 20 when he joined Disney (Born January 5, 1913).

And don't forget that there was no guarantee any of the artists working for Western as fill-in folks had any training at Disney. Western was run independently although there was editorial control from the studio.

Nice book P5. Are all the early WDCS 3 staple books?

Thanks guys. The early ones are all 3-staple books. Not sure when they switched to 2 staples. I have WDCS #4 and #8, and both are 3-staple. (I'm waiting on a #15, and am looking forward to having that additional data point in hand...!)