• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,443 posts in this topic

Here's a new pickup. These early ducks have been hitting the sweet spot lately...

wdcs4.jpg

Just back from another trip to Europe and am catching up. .5's entry inspired me to dig out my reading copy of WDCS 4 and, as usual, I had a good time enjoying the interior artwork. Gottfredson's stories often have very high quality sequences with memorable panels and this issue is no exception. The down side of my own narrow focus on slabbed high grade is that I have almost no reading copies left. When I see raw books like those posted over the last couple of weeks, I really do wish I had more copies that I could take out and read.

I waited all week if anyone would post about this in this thread and when the Economist decided to publish about it also, it decided me in posting here.

Here's yet another real-life realization of one of Barks' stories: Mining Asteroids. I don't have my copy of U$ # 49 scanned so if anyone has a copy to post, please do so.

UncleScrooge49-MiningAsteroids-EconomistArticle.jpg

I waited all week if anyone would post about this in this thread and when the Economist decided to publish about it also, it decided me in posting here.

Here's yet another real-life realization of one of Barks' stories: Mining Asteroids. I don't have my copy of U$ # 49 scanned so if anyone has a copy to post, please do so.

Scrooge,

Been too busy workign to post anything but when I heard that story on the radio the first thing I thought of was the Barks Scrooge story where they head to the asteroid on a mining expedition. Another Barks tale comes true; between this and Ping Pong balls I am starting to get worried we will find out that Terries and Fermies are for real!

Heres a lucky find my brother and i ran across...

On the original Magic Hourglass the blank box was a blurb for an animated cover gag where you would cut a strip out of the back cover (I think) cut two slots in the front and use it to create some animation. Great encourgement for the destruction of comics!

I see they eliminated that in the Canadian version.

Hi thanks yes the inside covers are blank. I dont have any american version how many pages are the american versions? These are 36 plus covers.

Which would explain the missing animation on the cover, as you had to cut the strip out of the inside covers I believe.

Scrooge,

Been too busy workign to post anything but when I heard that story on the radio the first thing I thought of was the Barks Scrooge story where they head to the asteroid on a mining expedition. Another Barks tale comes true; between this and Ping Pong balls I am starting to get worried we will find out that Terries and Fermies are for real!

I find it interesting that the majority of sci-fi writers I have read, had it right when they speculated that mining of the asteroid belt would be via private enterprise.

Uncle Scrooge #49

WDUS_49.jpg

Here's another new pickup. Spine is worn but the colors really pop!

wdcs15.jpg

Nice book and all that, but this cover is kinda disturbing lol . Leaving aside the inherent "cannibalism" why is the clearly dead (and cooked) turkey restrained in a vice? Why is Donald using an axe to carve it?

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's not a turkey. Goose? Gladstone's got lucky just once too often, and DD has cracked?

Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands . . .

My guess is that he overcooked it and it's tough as nail to cut through hence the clamp and axe. Notice the white heat and whirls of smoke indicative of this failed cooking attempt.

Good guess! That works for me. There were definitely some strange cover gags between #9-18 or so, almost like the cover artist just started drawing the first thing that popped into their head. (Which IMO gives the covers a certain charm, funny enough.)

Here's another new pickup. Spine is worn but the colors really pop!

wdcs15.jpg

Awesome Jon!!

:applause:

BTW the cooked over tough interpretation is what I thought too.

Let me offer another spin on the tough duck interpretation.

I think Donald is enraged to see his distant cousin (Gladstone if he's lucky, or is that unlucky?) cooked up and trussed up in a vise that he is trying to free it!

Otherwise we see him for who he is, a cannibal! :)

:jokealert:

While going through some of my early Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, I came across a Bucky Bug story in #25 that is unlike any Disney comic I've ever seen. It's so unusual that I ended up reading it a couple of times. The scans below represent 11 of the 28 pages and give an idea of the storyline.

"War with the Flies", which appeared along with Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse Sundays, was written and inked by Earl Duvall starting in 1932 and ending with his departure from Disney in April 1933.

The first part of the story has a World War I storyline. Upon reading the list of men's casualties in the newspaper, Bucky's fiancée becomes a Red Cross nurse and heads off to the front to meet him on the eve of a major battle. The battle scenes are highly unusual for a Disney comic.The first 6 pages are shown below.

bbwdc250001.jpg

bbwdc250002.jpg

bbwdc250003.jpg

bbwdc250004.jpg

bbwdc250005.jpg

bbwdc250006.jpg

After the land battle, the war then moves on to the sea. In the end, the enemy capitulates and a peace treaty is negotiated.

bbwdc250007.jpg

bbwdc250008.jpg

The epic tale then shifts to a depression storyline. Bucky heads home to his parents as a war hero, only to find that they have lost their home as the could not pay the mortgage.

bbwdc250009.jpg

bbwdc250010.jpg

bbwdc250011.jpg

The last few pages, which I've not included, show Bucky taking up farming to pay for a new home.

I did a little research on Earl Duvall who did serve on a US Army base in New York during World War I. According to Inducks, the last page of the story is actually not by him as he left Disney abruptly in April 1933 after some tensions with Walt Disney.

Wow! Bucky Bug is one of my favorite and thoroughly underated characters. His adventures remind me a lot of Toy Story stories.

Note that the logo is spelled, "Buckey" but the story and top title is

Bucky."

Thanks for posting, this is great!!

Thanks for posting, this is great!!

Ditto. Very intriguing topic for a funny animal comic and nicely drawn. The artist did an impressive job in keeping the story action very lively from panel to panel.