• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

The duck thread has been hibernating for the winter; time to ruffle the feathers for Christmas. While looking for my reader copy of Christmas for Shacktown this morning I came across this fun threesome I had put aside to read.

Nice! Good reading in those 10-pagers.

Yup and a Quack Out to the first one who identifies the significance of two of the books.

V9.2 first Uncle Scrooge in WDC&S

V12.8 first Gyro Gearloose

Bingo! And both $3. Pick ups a couple years back at a LCS!

It was the annual California Comic Con today and there were a few good duck books hiding out amongst the super hero fare. I picked up WDCS 55 for a good price in a nice looking VG condition.

Really nice looking book. Congrats.

The WDCS #55 is a perfect example of a great book you can enjoy and read. I would be happy if every book I have looked just like that one. Of course I would be even happier if every book I had looked just like AJD's #9! I think I remember correctly that the cover was lifted from a Donald Duck Sunday page. This was always one of my favorite books as it was the oldest book my brother could remember buying off of the stands. Great books, guys!

Those are very nice books Andrew, and with the exception of FC #62, I think you have all of the best of Barks Four Colors. Congratulations!

Thanks Richard. Yes, I'd love a #62. I still kick myself that I didn't buy ciroac's fine copy when he offered it on the boards and the Australian dollar was trading 40% higher than it is today.

As a lifelong Uncle Scrooge fan, I reckon I also need FC #178, though that one would be much more attractive if Scrooge was on the cover (or even if the cover was better).

You don't like the cover to 178? I like it but you're making me reconsider ...

Nice set of books. The cover to Terror of the River is so great so, of course, 178 pales in comparison. I've also favored the Crocodile Collector cover as well, nice well designed yellow cover. :thumbsup:

FC%20178_zpsgbw5onps.jpg

I have always loved the ducks, especially Uncle Scrooge. When I go to the board, the first thing I look for are new duck thread posts, and these recent ones have been great.

It is great to see Andrew is making steady progress toward a superb collection of ducks. Also, I love to see stuff like woowoo's FC 9 and the great note that came with it.

Many years ago, our next door neighbor moved to Oregon from Long Beach,

CA. After she had been there a few months, she wrote my mother and told her that she lived across the street from a famous person: Carl Barks. It was my good luck that she got a couple of nice items from him for me. That personal touch is always very appealing.

:cool:

FC_0108_zpsfhdcswyb.jpg

FC_0203_zpszxtglssp.jpg

FC_0348_zpsqtid6bht.jpg

I now officially have all the Barks Four Colors except the hard/expensive/desirable ones. lol

:gossip: I know about the CT on the #108 (and don't care)

Comics by Barks were well read and saved. Condition is often beat up but adds to the charm of collecting old ducks. rantrant

8788236908_052744b807_b.jpg

I have always loved the ducks, especially Uncle Scrooge. When I go to the board, the first thing I look for are new duck thread posts, and these recent ones have been great.

It is great to see Andrew is making steady progress toward a superb collection of ducks. Also, I love to see stuff like woowoo's FC 9 and the great note that came with it.

Many years ago, our next door neighbor moved to Oregon from Long Beach,

CA. After she had been there a few months, she wrote my mother and told her that she lived across the street from a famous person: Carl Barks. It was my good luck that she got a couple of nice items from him for me. That personal touch is always very appealing.

Rich, what are the odds of that! I love these little coincidences in life.

So... as you know, I'm trying to accumulate Dell WDC&S 1 - 100. At the back of my mind was the question "what about the rest of the Dell WDC&S"? I'd mostly ignored that until now (though I have a few), but then the answer came to me. The first issue of WDC&S in Australia had the cover and some contents of Dell's #69, so they are offset by about five and a half years. (Not quite perfectly offset, as the Australian series doesn't match 69, 70, 71... perfectly, but near enough). So I thought I'd go back to my roots with Australian copies of Comics & Stories for the higher Dell numbers. Here's our #190, which has the cover of Dell #256.

No_190_zpssxl4wjle.jpg

Best of all, I don't have to buy these in US$. And I do like the old Australian isues, especially the pre-decimal currency ones like this one shilling ( 1/- ) cover price issue. :cool:

Edit: just noticed this was my 3,000th post. :acclaim:

Edited by AJD

This thread is getting cold, so i thought I'd bump it.

I scanned some covers of the Australian WDC&S for the GCD yesterday (I had a dozen they didn't have, which was nice), so I thought I'd share a few of them here too, just for fun.

No_186_zpskvdqa7rl.jpg

No_192_zpsjxouvd2t.jpg

No_200_zpsenxyn44e.jpg

No_226_zpsrrcsrhyj.jpg

No_227_zpsfrmjwizg.jpg