• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

[..]So I thought I'd go back to my roots with Australian copies of Comics & Stories for the higher Dell numbers. Here's our #190, which has the cover of Dell #256.

[...]

Cool project. And you really notice the difference between the Barks/Kelly covers and all the rest.

You need an Australian turtle now, mate. One that can count to more than 100.

Ha ha - good suggestion tb. I'll go looking for another tortoise.

For now, here's another Australian edition. No.231, which has the Barks cover of Gold Key #297, though the contents are different. Check out the cover price too - Australia moved from the British pounds/shillings/pence to dollars and cents in February 1966. This issue, and three others, had both the "old" 1/- (1 shilling) and new 10c prices.

No_231_zpsxlalkz3r.jpg

This is a really nice copy too. :)

Nice one Marty. Who's the publisher on that one? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Overstreet says it's a TIMELY...the indicia says NON-PAREIL PUBLISHING CORP.

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Ha ha - good suggestion tb. I'll go looking for another tortoise.

For now, here's another Australian edition. No.231, which has the Barks cover of Gold Key #297, though the contents are different. Check out the cover price too - Australia moved from the British pounds/shillings/pence to dollars and cents in February 1966. This issue, and three others, had both the "old" 1/- (1 shilling) and new 10c prices.

No_231_zpsxlalkz3r.jpg

This is a really nice copy too. :)

These are really cool! Thanks for posting. I love the odd things like the 1 shilling 10 cents thing. :cloud9:

Hi guys, sorry for the off topic question, but I assumed I may get a better answer here than over in modern... Has anyone been reading the new duck books from IDW? If so, how are they? I've been thinking of giving them a try but would like your opinions if you don't mind. Thanks very much!

Hi guys, sorry for the off topic question, but I assumed I may get a better answer here than over in modern... Has anyone been reading the new duck books from IDW? If so, how are they? I've been thinking of giving them a try but would like your opinions if you don't mind. Thanks very much!

I've been buying each volume as they come out. I think they are excellent. Good reproduction of the art and the binding allows the books to be opened wide enough to easily see the material in the inner margin. The commentary is pretty good, although the discussion sometimes veers into the pretentious. Overall: highly recommended!

I assume the OP is talking not about the reprint series (which I also buy and enjoy) but rather the new newsstands series (which I don't buy).

Ah, got it. In that case, never mind. :D

I was speaking of the newsstand series, but now you have piqued my interest. Is the reprint series you mention the "Daily Newspaper Comics" hardcovers?

No, I was referring to the Carl Barks Library hardcover books. Fantagraphics has been slowly publishing them over the past few years.

I think the IDW Donald Duck books are excellent, which is no surprise, as I think that their entire line of reprint books is first class. The upcoming Silly Symphonies four book series will be outstanding and will include the great Bucky Bug war with the ants sequence as well as all of the early Donald Duck strips before he got his own title.