• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

Who was the crappy duck artist who did these covers and others in the same style...? I can't stand them... :ohnoez:

16406110969_a6fc873595_c.jpg

16591957905_4e0f2b72be_c.jpg

16591959525_51a39d7e9a_c.jpg

I'm not a great fan of Kelly's duck covers. Don't really like the heavy line work -- if that's the correct term. Also not crazy about the mayhem depicted on some of them (a point I've made a couple of times before), although these are pretty mild. Kelly's themes often seemed to reflect more the content of the DD movie shorts than the Barks DD 10-pagers, which Kelly didn't give much indication of having bothered to read.

Great minds think alike... hm

Tony and who?

One day in 1979 at SDCC I decided to buy a GA Bark's book. Ducks were hot then, and there were a lot of high grade copies at the con. I grabbed this and one other for the astronomical price of $50 each. That seemed like a lot of money for a Disney comic back then, and it probably was, but I've never regretted my decision...

16555013921_e705059874_c.jpg

This is the other one...

16555588392_774879c14c_c.jpg

Sadly, I stopped buying high grade Disney's after those two. I was more interested in completing my Amazing Spiderman run.... :sorry:

Edited by tricolorbrian

One day in 1979 at SDCC I decided to buy a GA Bark's book. Ducks were hot then, and there were a lot of high grade copies at the con. I grabbed this and one other for the astronomical price of $50 each. That seemed like a lot of money for a Disney comic back then, and it probably was, but I've never regretted my decision...

This is the other one...

Sadly, I stopped buying high grade Disney's after those two. I was more interested in completing my Amazing Spiderman run.... :sorry:

The Golden Helmet is one of the best Barks stories, certainly in my top 5. He followed it up with the Gilded Man (FC 422), another great one. Those two ended his DD FC run with a bang.

This is the other one...

The Golden Helmet is one of the best Barks stories, certainly in my top 5. He followed it up with the Gilded Man (FC 422), another great one. Those two ended his DD FC run with a bang.

One of my favorite comic panels ever is the one where the ducks find the helmet, seen through the binoculars of Azure Blue.

I love the point of view switch just before the discovery of the helmet.

I'm not a great fan of Kelly's duck covers. Don't really like the heavy line work -- if that's the correct term. Also not crazy about the mayhem depicted on some of them (a point I've made a couple of times before), although these are pretty mild. Kelly's themes often seemed to reflect more the content of the DD movie shorts than the Barks DD 10-pagers, which Kelly didn't give much indication of having bothered to read.

It's funny, I love Kelly's WDCS covers from the first 100 issues... #34, #36, #44, #69, #87 to throw out some random ones. There's probably a few dozen I like. But they were not consistently winners, and after #100 or so his style seems to get sketchier and sloppier.

I will admit this is a good cover, not the best condition, but a good cover:

16388922139_9344355eb4_c.jpg

One of my all time favorites! I need a nice mid-grade copy. hm

It's funny, I love Kelly's WDCS covers from the first 100 issues... #34, #36, #44, #69, #87 to throw out some random ones. There's probably a few dozen I like. But they were not consistently winners, and after #100 or so his style seems to get sketchier and sloppier.

I will admit this is a good cover, not the best condition, but a good cover:

16388922139_9344355eb4_c.jpg

One of my all time favorites! I need a nice mid-grade copy. hm

I recently sold a copy of that book and thoroughly regret it! I don't think there's too many Disney covers with prominent use of firearms, certainly not in recent times, no? It's a very Loony Tunes cover on a Disney book.

Just got a (low grade) copy of this one at a local used book store a few hours ago for the extravagant price of $4. Looking forward to reading it, I'm not sure I've actually read this one before.

Just got a (low grade) copy of this one at a local used book store a few hours ago for the extravagant price of $4. Looking forward to reading it, I'm not sure I've actually read this one before.

You're in for a treat.

You're in for a treat.

I still laugh over Barks' pig Latin in this story!

This is the other one...

While the Golden Helmet is one of the Barks' classics, it is much more difficult to find a high grade copy of FC #282 with nice colors. Yours looks beautiful!

This is the other one...

While the Golden Helmet is one of the Barks' classics, it is much more difficult to find a high grade copy of FC #282 with nice colors. Yours looks beautiful!

I must be lucky Rich as I have a beautiful copy of 282 but a great copy of 408 has eluded me. I'll try to post my best later for grins.

This is the other one...

Thanks! I'm sure there were more high grade issues back in the 70s than there are now... hm