• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool reading question....?

22 posts in this topic

Hi Deadpool fans! I have never really been much of a Deadpool fan.....I just haven't read much of any of his series. I am debating whether to buy a Deadpool omnibus and give him a try.

The two I have been looking at on ebay are:

Deadpool by Joe Kelly reprinting #1-33 and a bunch of other misc. issues.

OR

Deadpool and Cable reprinting issues #1-50

Which one do you all recommend? Or is there a different Deadpool series I should try.

I do all ready own Deadpool classic volume 1, classic volume 7 and Deadpool Secret Invasion which I found all average reading. It has been awhile since I read these but If I remember correctly I think I enjoyed Secret Invasion the most.

Well, thanks for any input!

I don't care for the early appearances in Deadpool (X-Force).

As a collector

My favorite Deadpool story arc still has very good prices on eBay: Deadpool Circle Chase (4 issue mini).

Deadpool Volume 1 (4 issue mini), Deadpool Volume 2 (Joe Kelly) is too expensive to get in first prints.

Unless the movie really changes things, you can get Deadpool Volume 3 (Daniel Way) and Deadpool Volume 4 (All New Marvel Now) for reasonable prices.

It never made sense to me why Volume 1 and Volume 2 are priced significantly higher than Circle Chase. Sure, Volume 2 has some great Ed McGuinness covers, but aside from that, (shrug)

Blind Al was great in the earlier volumes but Ajax is ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZ

Circle Chase and Volume 4 were much more entertaining to me.

Readers only

The Deadpool Classic volumes aren't bad considering it's 10 issues for $22 each volume.

Hi Deadpool fans! I have never really been much of a Deadpool fan.....I just haven't read much of any of his series. I am debating whether to buy a Deadpool omnibus and give him a try.

The two I have been looking at on ebay are:

Deadpool by Joe Kelly reprinting #1-33 and a bunch of other misc. issues.

OR

Deadpool and Cable reprinting issues #1-50

Which one do you all recommend? Or is there a different Deadpool series I should try.

I do all ready own Deadpool classic volume 1, classic volume 7 and Deadpool Secret Invasion which I found all average reading. It has been awhile since I read these but If I remember correctly I think I enjoyed Secret Invasion the most.

Well, thanks for any input!

the Moby of omnibi. so many words.

Deadpool 97 ongoing really is awesome for what was going on with the character (at the time only 7 years old), you can explore all the original stories before he broke the 4th wall.

Deadpool 2008 ongoing is just awesome though, evil deadpool, hit monkey, his first team up with Cap, Deadpool vs Bullseye (posing as Hawkeye from the Dark Avengers), Hydra Bob, just so much.

Wade Wilson's war is a good stand alone, as well as Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe.

I love Marvel Unlimited for just this, I have access to almost ever early Deadpool book so I don't have to open my High Grade copies.

This is coming from a Deadpool fan.

I wouldn't recommend either with so many other titles out there that are great reading.

If you still want one between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the Kelly series.

The Cable/Deadpool series was mind-numbingly boring. It may have gotten better later in the series, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Patrick

This is coming from a Deadpool fan.

I wouldn't recommend either with so many other titles out there that are great reading.

If you still want one between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the Kelly series.

The Cable/Deadpool series was mind-numbingly boring. It may have gotten better later in the series, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, what would you recommend to read for a new Deadpool fan?? Something preferably reprinted in TPB or hardcover format.....

Hello Hammerhead. I think you are an awesome ASM villian. I too have never been much of a DP fan but I want to help. :)

Just want to ask you why the interest in DP now? Why get an omnibus if you found that what you already read of DP to be "all average reading". If you remember correctly you think you might have enjoyed the Secret Invasion issues the most? What was it that you liked about them?

I collect pencilers so I read the Secret Invasion drawn by the fab Paco Medina in 2008. For all I know this could be one the best Deadpool stories out there but instead I would recommend you get the All New All Different series that just came out.

I have the first handful of the Cable Deadpool series were drawn by Mark Brooks. "If looks could kill" 2004 yes, Mark Brooks used to draw inside the comic books.

I highly recommend "Circle Chase 1-4" for the Joe Madureira 1993 art right before he became a smash on UXM.

My exposure to the DP character was limited by the comics I was reading/collecting by the time issue #50 of the 1997 series. I got it for the Arthur Adams Cover

My top recommendation for writing would be Gail Simone on Deadpool 66? and Agent X in 2002. I don't know if these got collected in tpb but her run was laugh out loud DP greatness!

You have to respect the classic DP. Rob Liefeld

I think Deadpool in the uncanny x-force Remender run, was the best. Some of his mini-series are nice. Deadpool kills marvel universe, and Deadpool kills Deadpool were both good stories. A lot of the minis are more miss than hit. His recent secret wars mini has been an alright story as well.

I think Deadpool in the uncanny x-force Remender run, was the best. Some of his mini-series are nice. Deadpool kills marvel universe, and Deadpool kills Deadpool were both good stories. A lot of the minis are more miss than hit. His recent secret wars mini has been an alright story as well.

Agreed.. Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe was cool.

I just read the latest number one, and it was great. The humor was under control, and it wasn't too ridiculous. I really enjoyed it. I keep seeing Liefeld talk about this Oklahoma Con exclusive, and I decided to get one from Big Red Comics. I also see Liefeld has a new project with Marvel coming out. I imagine some people will claim this is the sign of the next comic crash, but I think Rob has improved a lot, and it's cool that older DP writers like Liefeld, and Joe Kelly are doing more with Marvel again. I think most Liefeld work is terrible, and he can be a cry baby, but I also think the market will want a new book from him after seeing the Deadpool movie, and I also think this latest cover is leaps and bounds over his past work.

Deadpool-Variant.jpg

Avoid some of the more recent minis like Deadpool vs. Carnage or Hawkeveye vs. Deadpool - they sell well at shows in sets or singles due to the popularity of the characters but I don't believe the buyers are actually reading the books as if they did they would not be purchasing them..........

Avoid some of the more recent minis like Deadpool vs. Carnage or Hawkeveye vs. Deadpool - they sell well at shows in sets or singles due to the popularity of the characters but I don't believe the buyers are actually reading the books as if they did they would not be purchasing them..........

Completely agree. Garbage. Deadpool vs. x-force wasn't great either, cool art, but terrible story.

I've been a Deadpool fan since I really started getting into comics in the mid-late 90s, so I do love the Kelly run... the #0 put out by Wizard was what really turned me on, honestly. But if I had to rank my favorite runs with the character (haven't read the Way run on the second ongoing), it would be:

1. Uncanny X Force volume 1... easily the best the character has been written.

2. Deadpool #65-69 by Gail Simone (#65 is a favorite individual issue of mine)

3. Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn

4. Deadpool: The Circle Chase

5. the original Kelly run on Deadpool

I've been a Deadpool fan since I really started getting into comics in the mid-late 90s, so I do love the Kelly run... the #0 put out by Wizard was what really turned me on, honestly. But if I had to rank my favorite runs with the character (haven't read the Way run on the second ongoing), it would be:

1. Uncanny X Force volume 1... easily the best the character has been written.

2. Deadpool #65-69 by Gail Simone (#65 is a favorite individual issue of mine)

3. Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn

4. Deadpool: The Circle Chase

5. the original Kelly run on Deadpool

I like most of your list. But I highly disagree with the Posehn recommedation. Super thumbs down for me. The President story was awful.

Patrick