• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do we value 1st appearances so much??

133 posts in this topic

My knee-jerk reaction is that this has EVERYTHING to do with Action Comics #1...both a first issue and a first appearance. In fact, THE first issue and THE first appearance. All the chasing after first issues and first appearances, from the earliest days of organized fandom until now, extends from beneath its monolithic shadow...

What is valued is the perception of value (worth/money). First appearances, pedigrees, in grade, all aid in the perception of 'valuable'. A book jumps in price and everybody runs to see if they own one or need one.

The 'why' is secondary. Maybe even a convenient excuse. First appearance, great. In demand artist, great. Shiny chrome exterior with a hologram ticket inside, whatever. Perception usually proceeds demand, especially for mass produced thingies.

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

For someone who collects comics to not understand why people seek out first appearances is... uh weird. It really is.

Also, comparing FF48 to Hulk 180/181 is not a fair comparison. People seek out FF48 because it's a true first appearance. People seek out Hulk 181 over 180 because it's more valuable. However, 180 is clearly the first time Wolvie appears

My first memory of collecting was the desire to complete runs of the stories I liked. I started picking up X-Men 142 - 200 (141 and lower were too expensive) since I loved the brood story line and the Paul Smith art pulled me in. Then I saw a ASM 129 on the wall for $20 and I spent my whole month allowance on that one book. Why did I buy it? Can't really say other then the book was on the wall and the 1st appearance had to be worth getting. The story was so/so and the art kind of stunk but I loved that book. It's just been a constant that the 1st appearance is the in demand book but I've never put any really thought into why this is.

Historically speaking, it goes back to the dawn of comic book fandom. I think it was the '60s when people started "collecting" comic books. Before then, comics were disposable entertainment. Those early collectors set the stage for what is desirable for later generations - and 1st appearances and 1st issues were what they chose. Probably because it makes sense that the "first" of something would be more valuable than other iterations.

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

For someone who collects comics to not understand why people seek out first appearances is... uh weird. It really is.

Also, comparing FF48 to Hulk 180/181 is not a fair comparison. People seek out FF48 because it's a true first appearance. People seek out Hulk 181 over 180 because it's more valuable. However, 180 is clearly the first time Wolvie appears

My first memory of collecting was the desire to complete runs of the stories I liked. I started picking up X-Men 142 - 200 (141 and lower were too expensive) since I loved the brood story line and the Paul Smith art pulled me in. Then I saw a ASM 129 on the wall for $20 and I spent my whole month allowance on that one book. Why did I buy it? Can't really say other then the book was on the wall and the 1st appearance had to be worth getting. The story was so/so and the art kind of stunk but I loved that book. It's just been a constant that the 1st appearance is the in demand book but I've never put any really thought into why this is.

That's similar to my experience. I wanted to put together runs and/or partial runs featuring artists that I liked. Looking back on it, I should have been collecting keys instead. I remember buying an ASM 33 for $20 (this was a long time ago) and feeling really guilty about it. I'd never spent $20 on a single comic before.

I wanted to put together runs and/or partial runs featuring artists that I liked. Looking back on it, I should have been collecting keys instead.

See, that's monetarily driven. Unless you had particularly bad taste, you wouldn't have enjoyed a set of unrelated keys as much as reading the stories. No one starts out wanting first appearances, they want the stories, because why else would someone buy a comic off the rack for the first time?

Someone justify owning an Amazing Spider-Man 14 over Amazing 39-40 to me, please.

I'd like to think that, as a collector becomes attached to a comic book character, owning that character's first appearance becomes the ultimate way of cementing that bond. You know, witnessing their birth, however entertaining or dreary it may be...

A bigger question is: Why are the 1st comic book appearances of characters that originally appeared in other media (cough cough BA #12) so sought after? That isn't a true first appearance by definition.

Because if you are a comic book collector and want to collect the first comic book appearance of Harley Quinn, then you have one choice, BA 12.

Same with the Gold Key Scooby Doo # 1. Same with the United Features Peanuts # 1

I think the line of thinking there was if you are a comic book collector who's focus is on first appearances, then books like BA 12 and the other two you mentioned as well perhaps, should garner no interest since they are not first appearances, but rather existing characters that were adapted in comic books.

-J.

A bigger question is: Why are the 1st comic book appearances of characters that originally appeared in other media (cough cough BA #12) so sought after? That isn't a true first appearance by definition.

Most probably because it is the first time in printed format, so something collectors can actually latch on to as having a limited distribution versus a video that can be repeatedly distributed.

But I agree with the thinking on it not really being her first appearance.

Yep, like the first time Nolan Ryan appeared in baseball was not in 1968 either.

Non sports card sets, the first and last card in the set usually command the higher dollars due to the fact that they tend to protect the other cards, they are prone to damage. The way a box can have as much and if not more value than the toy of collectible that came in it because it was likely discarded and now. Condition will always be a prime factor in any collectibles market over any other factor. 2c

I find it more interesting why # 1 issues (when not a "key") are worth more than # 2 and # 3 etc. However, it's always been that way in comic book fandom. Look at the 1970s Dr Strange # 1. There's nothing key about it. It's the gazillinth app of Doc Strange and yet, presumably because it's a # 1, it's more sought after and more valuable than subsequent issues. (shrug)

And also, at least for Copper and Modern books, the first issue usually has a significantly larger print run than issues #2 and beyond. (There are some exceptions, obviously.)

Most probably because it is the first time in printed format, so something collectors can actually latch on to as having a limited distribution versus a video that can be repeatedly distributed.

Yep, like the first time Nolan Ryan appeared in baseball was not in 1968 either.

Whether it is stated anywhere, it seems to be intuitively understood that the "first official big time" example of a type of media is what would be of interest to collectors of that type of media.

The "first official big time" baseball card for Nolan Ryan was in 1968. He might have an earlier minor league card, but that's not "big time". He might have an earlier headline in a newspaper, but that's not a baseball card.

The "first official big time" example of a comic book with Harley Quinn is Batman Adventures #12. She appeared earlier in a cartoon, but that's not a comic book. She might have appeared in a coloring book, or a read-along-with-this-cassette book, but that's not a comic book. She appears later in a comic book which also includes D.C. continuity, but that's not her "first official big time" comic book.

Whether it is stated anywhere, it seems to be intuitively understood that the "first official big time" example of a type of media is what would be of interest to collectors of that type of media.

The "first official big time" baseball card for Nolan Ryan was in 1968. He might have an earlier minor league card, but that's not "big time". He might have an earlier headline in a newspaper, but that's not a baseball card.

The "first official big time" example of a comic book with Harley Quinn is Batman Adventures #12. She appeared earlier in a cartoon, but that's not a comic book. She might have appeared in a coloring book, or a read-along-with-this-cassette book, but that's not a comic book. She appears later in a comic book which also includes D.C. continuity, but that's not her "first official big time" comic book.

This is correct. BA 12 is the first time she was adapted in a comic book from alternative media.

But that is not her "first appearance".

Obviously if you love this character and you collect comic books, BA 12 is as close as you are going to get.

-J.

I believe this is the true collector in you. You would buy what you liked about the character.

For others, including me sometimes, it is literally because a first appearance is your first memory of the character. If you bought the book new and remember reading it and loving the new character, it would likely draw you back to that book later. Especially if you left collecting for a while and sold or lost that book. I think many of us have been in that position.

I'm not old enough to have purchased and read the early Silver Age first appearances, but books like DCCP #26, NTT Annual #2, PPSSM #64, DNAgents #1 and Daredevil #158 have special meaning to me because I bought them as a kid or teenager, read them, and really liked the new characters or artwork. So, I have very fond memories of those books. That makes them more desirable to me. (OK, I'm kidding about DNAgents #1, but I sure bought enough of them when they came out.)

Because if you are a comic book collector and want to collect the first comic book appearance of Harley Quinn, then you have one choice, BA 12.

Same with the Gold Key Scooby Doo # 1. Same with the United Features Peanuts # 1

I think the line of thinking there was if you are a comic book collector who's focus is on first appearances, then books like BA 12 and the other two you mentioned as well perhaps, should garner no interest since they are not first appearances, but rather existing characters that were adapted in comic books.

-J.

So then comic book collectors interested in those characters should collect what? Nothing? Should they ignore BA 12 and Scooby Doo 1?

-J.

So then comic book collectors interested in those characters should collect what? Nothing? Should they ignore BA 12 and Scooby Doo 1?

(shrug) People can do whatever they like. I was extrapolating generally from Mad Genius' (likely rhetorical) question.

-J.