• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I just auctioned off 43 books on CLink

71 posts in this topic

My biggest issues with the registry set is that it isn't user-friendly. It's not very navigable. Myslabbedcomics.com has a better setup.

The other issue is it's point preference for SS comics which I have no desire to collect.

Sure there are those people with an ego who do it but I'd like to see those collections that I could never see anywhere else.

There is probably a big differences between best registered set and best set in the world. Most books never get graded.

I sometimes get the impression that some people value a slabbed collection higher than a raw one - which financially is true as it costs a ton of money to do. But it almost seems like people use the word "raw" like it is derogatory. Short of wanting to sell a bunch of high dollar books, I cannot imagine spending money to slab a comic I intend to keep in the first place.

Some really go nuts over having the most points yada yada yada.

To me its an exercise in futility,who cares. (shrug)

Are you talking about fantasy football?

I find the registry a nice tool for managing my collection. I add all of my books and scans when I get them. I also use it on my ipad at conventions to see what books I need to fill certain runs.

I appreciate CGC providing it.

I agree, it is a useful tool but I don't think CGC wants to invest anything into it. The registry points are about as current as a 1985 Overstreet. It's just not relevant anymore. myslabbedcomics.com is much more fun and very easy to use.

Why do you need an award to enjoy your collection?

Registry sets are really a tool of the auction houses to be able to figure out what you have, work up numbers and tell you how much they can sell your collection for.

Registry sets also play into the "collector ego" that I have the "best".

Look at me!!!!!!

I don't need the registry to enjoy my collection.

But as an egomaniac and enthusiastic registry user, I say I wish there were more of us. Especially egomaniacs with scanners.

I enjoy showing off my books and I really enjoy seeing what other people have too. And as a completist, I think it’s great to see when folks have put together entire runs of titles, whether it’s Action #1-500, Cheetah’s Planet run, or the Atlas-Seaboard set with all those titles I never knew existed.

I get that some people are turned off by the points and the competitive part of the registry. But they’re still just collections of comic books. And on a message board dedicated to comic book collecting, I think it’s ironic to see some of the derision directed at the registry.

I really enjoyed seeing your books back before you turned them into a house. And Tom’s and Doug’s and Pope’s too. And now, I can see collections of guys who live outside the Tri-State area.

It’ll probably never happen but I’d love to see the Dentist and Verzyl slab their collections and put the books in the registry. And I wish Richard (MrBedrock) would enter his books in the registry. He already has the slabs and the scans but it would be great to see them all in one place.

Oh, and if anyone has high grade copies of Millie the Model #194-199 and My Love #20, please let me know. I need them for a registry set.

Why do you need an award to enjoy your collection?

Registry sets are really a tool of the auction houses to be able to figure out what you have, work up numbers and tell you how much they can sell your collection for.

Registry sets also play into the "collector ego" that I have the "best".

Look at me!!!!!!

That's a pretty broad sweeping statement about all 4K people on the registry.

I am not using the registry for attention or for any awards. I use it for a documentation purposes and for cataloging my collection.

There are some who are using it for awards and accolades and I say good for them. Who cares?

I think that having a registry is a great idea for keeping tabs on comics and proving ownership. The extra things that involve the point system and how awesome your registry set is doesn't appeal to me as it turns my enjoyment into more of a competition.

I am not using the registry for attention or for any awards. I use it for a documentation purposes and for cataloging my collection.

There are some who are using it for awards and accolades and I say good for them. Who cares?

THIS !!!

I sold my SA Avengers when the movie hype was high. I'd guess I had twenty to thirty slabs sold by CL and MCS. To date, I believe I have had one request to remove a book from my registry.

Well here is a request. If you don't own them, remove them. I enjoy the registry and take it seriously. Seems like many of the old guys on here do not, and are responsible for making it inaccurate. If you don't like it or use it, fine. But don't mess it up for those of us that do.

Looks like lots of varying opinions on the registry. I find it a useful tool for keeping track of my books (and for insurance purposes too) and find the competitive aspect of it a little fun. I think it's cool to be able to see the collections and different focuses each collector has. Some of you have put together some amazing sets and it makes for some interesting fodder here on the boards. Everyday I read these posts I learn something new and become a more informed and savvy collector. This whole thing has raised the hobby to places I couldn't have dreamed of years ago.

As far as removing books from the registry I've sold, that's what I was getting ready to do when I originally created this thread. I just thought it was curious that after the two month time frame after the auction I'd set for myself, I only had one request to transfer so I thought I'd put that observation out there for discussion.

I appreciate the feedback and thanks to everyone who has commented here.

:grin:

One of my most prized sets is the DD set in my sig below.

I did take it seriously and I still do. My set is ranked in 4th place. Prolly never go higher. I don't care, to me it is awesome and I'm so proud of what I accomplished.

Dude, give me a chance to make it interesting ;)