• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, I caught the 8pm showing last night.  After watching the movie and catching the end credits the only thought that was going through my head was "They spent $300 million on this?".

It seemed too disjointed and honestly the CGI was pretty poor in alot of spots.

Hide contents

Batman - I really enjoyed Ben Affleck as Batman in BvS and defended him to a lot of my friends, however in JL I couldn't stand him.  He was too jokey and IMO it was like he "phoned in" his lines.

Superman -  The CGI to remove the mustache was striking and very noticeable.  The CGI in the fight between Superman and the League after they wake him up was just horrible in some spots, looked like a bad Xbox 360 game.

Flash - Hated his costume, other than that I think he did ok.

Cyborg - Hated his costume, until the end when they showed him start to "smooth" it out.  The character I think was well done.

Wonder Woman - Enjoyed her for the most part, however it did get a bit old that it seemed like every fight she slammed her bracers together, for the "big explosion".

Aquaman - Was in the movie.  Wasn't great, wasn't bad.

Score - The score for this movie sucked.

Direction - I could really tell what was done by Snyder and what was done by Whedon, it just seemed to me that tonally the movie was all over the place.

IMO at this point between the reviews, the disappointing (so far) box office, and just on what I saw and how my "gut" feels, I don't think there will ever be another Justice League team movie.  Also not to be all "doom and gloom" I could honestly see WB saying "F' it" and going back to Batman (and now) Wonder Woman movies with a Superman film thrown in.  I know Aquaman has finished filming so they will release that one, but while Shazam and Flash have been "announced" I'm not so sure they actually get made.

Those are the rumors.  The consensus from many pundits is

there will be a new Batman restart without Affleck, most likely reboot Superman (without Snyder/Cavill) as well, and they will continue with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman will made. Maybe Shazam.

I don't see Cyborg, Flash or Green Lantern Corps getting made now.

Especially Flash as the TV series Flash is a strong brand right now.

We will see.

Spoiler

I hope there is at least a Deathstroke movie out of all this.

I'd be highly irritated if they didn't make another one after seeing the first.  It made about 100 million in it's first weekend and it's still a bomb?  I'll probably see it with my daughter next weekend and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much.

34 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Those are the rumors.  The consensus from many pundits is

there will be a new Batman restart without Affleck, most likely reboot Superman (without Snyder/Cavill) as well, and they will continue with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman will made. Maybe Shazam.

I don't see Cyborg, Flash or Green Lantern Corps getting made now.

Especially Flash as the TV series Flash is a strong brand right now.

We will see.

Reveal hidden contents

I hope there is at least a Deathstroke movie out of all this.

Interesting potential direction.

But since they already cast Billy Batson and Shazam, along with the director moving forward with pre-filming prep is that a maybe? I'd take it as a definite.

Aquaman is made. They wrapped filming weeks ago.

Flashpoint is supposedly moving forward due to the response to Ezra Miller. Producer Chuck Roven and Ezra Miller both stated this.

The wife and I went and saw this last Saturday.  We both enjoyed the movie and she really liked it to where she will be taking our Grandson to see it next weekend.  I liked it a lot better then BvS and the latest Thor movie.  It does have it faults at times; but it is a movie that I don't have any problems suggesting people go and see it.

Psy

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting potential direction.

But since they already cast Billy Batson and Shazam, along with the director moving forward with pre-filming prep is that a maybe? I'd take it as a definite.

Aquaman is made. They wrapped filming weeks ago.

Flashpoint is supposedly moving forward due to the response to Ezra Miller. Producer Chuck Roven and Ezra Miller both stated this.

I really hope they make Shazam.:wishluck:

Actually going forward I thnk the DC Universe will be very strong critically and box officewise.

Getting away from Snyder/Affleck will improve the DC brand just like when Spider-Man changed Garfield for Holland.

I liked the Garfeld Spider-Mans and defended them, but eventually I realized the majority didn't and that's when I knew for the overall betterment for the Spider-Man franchise he had to go.

It worked it seems as the Holland Spider-Man was a bigger box office and critical success than the Garfield Spider-Man.

The same thing has to happen now with Snyder/Affleck unfortunately in that they both have to go like Garfield for the betterment of the DC Universe going forward.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

50 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'd be highly irritated if they didn't make another one after seeing the first.  It made about 100 million in it's first weekend and it's still a bomb?  I'll probably see it with my daughter next weekend and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much.

This Thanksgiving weekend will be huge than for their box office .

btw .

I caught it yesterday and I loved it!

This movie was fun. The exact opposite of BvS!

I don't understand why the critics were so harsh with it.

Superman was the boss! 

I just hope I get to see more Cavill as Superman.

Spoiler

Could care less about Affleck Batman :insane:

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, I caught the 8pm showing last night.  After watching the movie and catching the end credits the only thought that was going through my head was "They spent $300 million on this?".

Hide contents

Batman - I really enjoyed Ben Affleck as Batman in BvS and defended him to a lot of my friends, however in JL I couldn't stand him.  He was too jokey and IMO it was like he "phoned in" his lines.

Superman -  The CGI to remove the mustache was striking and very noticeable.  The CGI in the fight between Superman and the League after they wake him up was just horrible in some spots, looked like a bad Xbox 360 game.

Cyborg - Hated his costume, until the end when they showed him start to "smooth" it out.  The character I think was well done.

Wonder Woman - Enjoyed her for the most part, however it did get a bit old that it seemed like every fight she slammed her bracers together, for the "big explosion".

Direction - I could really tell what was done by Snyder and what was done by Whedon, it just seemed to me that tonally the movie was all over the place.

IMO at this point between the reviews, the disappointing (so far) box office, and just on what I saw and how my "gut" feels, I don't think there will ever be another Justice League team movie.  Also not to be all "doom and gloom" I could honestly see WB saying "F' it" and going back to Batman (and now) Wonder Woman movies with a Superman film thrown in.  I know Aquaman has finished filming so they will release that one, but while Shazam and Flash have been "announced" I'm not so sure they actually get made.

Careful.  You will be called a "troll" if you dare question how this film could possibly have cost $300MM, and/or how that is reflected in the end product vis a vis the box office.  Never mind the fact that the same conversation is had in virtually every other thread once a movie comes out, and the fact that Bosco, who normally reliably posts his very useful box office charts on Sunday evenings, has one conspicuously absent for this movie.  Perhaps the optics of posting this film with a negative first week multiplier was not anything he felt would warrant an honest conversation.  Better to name call someone a "troll" instead.  Easier too.  Of course name calling in debate is usually the first resort of a person who already knows they have no leg to stand on.

To your points, however, yes I have also read that whatever plans for any additional JLA movies anytime soon have been scrapped.  Flashpoint has been quietly put on the shelf as well, at least for now, primarily since the intended plot of that film involved meeting alternate members of the JLA.  Green Lantern Corps will be at least pushed back until they see how Aquaman performs first.  Affleck is out, Cavill and Amy Adams most likely are out as well.  Suicide Squad 2 will probably still get made.  Shazaam is fairly deep in pre production, but it is not a lock to move any further at this point.   The Batgirl movie is very iffy now and so is that Joker movie.  It all basically comes down to how Aquaman does.  I would prefer it not having to come down to that particular movie since putting that character in a solo film was already risky proposition in the first place.  But we'll see.   As you said, WB will be focusing basically on Batman and Wonder Woman films until the wheels come off, and these will be stand alone affairs.  WB is basically going to abandon the interconnected Marvel formula.  And that might just be the route they should go at this point.

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Careful.  You will be called a "troll" if you dare question how this film could possibly have cost $300MM, and/or how that is reflected in the end product vis a vis the box office.  Never mind the fact that the same conversation is had in virtually every other thread once a movie comes out, and the fact that Bosco, who normally reliably posts his very useful box office charts on Sunday evenings, has one conspicuously absent for this movie.  Perhaps the optics of posting this film with a negative first week multiplier was not anything he felt would warrant an honest conversation.  Better to name call someone a "troll" instead.  Easier too.  Of course name calling in debate is usually the first resort of a person who already knows they have no leg to stand on.

To your points, however, yes I have also read that whatever plans for any additional JLA movies anytime soon have been scrapped.  Flashpoint has been quietly put on the shelf as well, at least for now, primarily since the intended plot of that film involved meeting alternate members of the JLA.  Green Lantern Corps will be at least pushed back until they see how Aquaman performs first.  Affleck is out, Cavill and Amy Adams most likely are out as well.  Suicide Squad 2 will probably still get made.  Shazaam is fairly deep in pre production, but it is not a lock to move any further at this point.   The Batgirl movie is very iffy now and so is that Joker movie.  It all basically comes down to how Aquaman does.  I would prefer it not having to come down to that particular movie since putting that character in a solo film was already risky proposition in the first place.  But we'll see.   As you said, WB will be focusing basically on Batman and Wonder Woman films until the wheels come off, and these will be stand alone affairs.  WB is basically going to abandon the interconnected Marvel formula.  And that might just be the route they should go at this point.

-J.

Interesting viewpoint. Flawed, but interesting.

CC and drotto have both posted negatives about this movie. Nobody - including myself - have noted this as trolling. They are doing it to have a conversation about their views. And others have posted they didn't enjoy the movie. Nobody attacked them over their opinions.

As far as the chart goes, the analytic sites as of Sunday have not confirmed the production budget. So rather than just throwing in a rumored numbering, I've been refreshing their sites periodically and waiting.

That logic you spoke of seems to be more loads of assumptions. And all wrong.

:smile:

2 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Reveal hidden contents

So sad to see all the attacks you experienced after posting what seems to be an unenjoyable experience. I hope you don't depart the boards over this.

Oh - wait. That never happened.

(:

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting viewpoint. Flawed, but interesting.

CC and drotto have both posted negatives about this movie. Nobody - including myself - have noted this as trolling. They are doing it to have a conversation about their views. And others have posted they didn't enjoy the movie. Nobody attacked them over their opinions.

As far as the chart goes, the analytic sites as of Sunday have not confirmed the production budget. So rather than just throwing in a rumored numbering, I've been refreshing their sites periodically and waiting.

That logic you spoke of seems to be more loads of assumptions. And all wrong.

:smile:

There you go shooting the messenger again: lol

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/justice-league/269109/justice-league-and-what-comes-next-for-the-dceu

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You had said anyone that says thing other than positive in this thread is considered a troll. Also, the absence of my chart was telling.

No shooting of messengers. Just pointing out facts.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

You had said anyone that says thing other than positive in this thread is considered a troll. Also, the absence of my chart was telling.

No shooting of messengers. Just pointing out facts.

Several people did refer to some people questioning the quality of this movie as "trolls".  And that's just dumb.  Name calling automatically short circuits honest debate, and I suspect that was the point.  And the absence of your chart was telling.  The general consensus is the movie's production budget was $300MM.  WB has not confirmed this and likely never will.  All of your charts are approximations anyway best as I can tell.  I'm not telling you to post the chart.  The fact that you take the time to do it at all in so many threads is remarkable IMO.  I'm just noticing that you did not do it for this film.  You've now said the reason why, and that's fine.  Frankly, you did not even have to give an explanation, so thank you.

-J.

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So sad to see all the attacks you experienced after posting what seems to be an unenjoyable experience. I hope you don't depart the boards over this.

Oh - wait. That never happened.

(:

Lol, well I never saw any attacks on me so I won't be going anywhere.

I really did want to enjoy this movie, I wanted it to be "all that and a bag of chips", however for me it wasn't.  I'm glad that others enjoyed it though.

So with that Den of Geeks article, which is written from their point of view, they do see light at the end of the tunnel. Though what course correction WB/DC will take is spitballing right now, as it is only the first week and general responses from audiences are they liked the film - flaws clearly called out.

Justice League and What Comes Next for the DCEU

After a disappointing opening weekend for Justice League, we consider how WB might rebuild the DCEU and its shared cinematic universe.

So yes, DC and its fans had a bad weekend. Still, this too shall pass, and like a beleaguered Gotham City district attorney, I can promise you that the dawn is still coming. It’ll be here tomorrow morning, in fact. So after the dust settles, the question is where does this leave the DC Extended Universe? Well, only studio executives can know for certain, but the news is not entirely doom and gloom.

This is not the end of the DCEU. Aquaman is in the can and has a nice yearlong post-production process to be refined. Wonder Woman still has a decent shot at making real waves at the upcoming Academy Awards, and Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot are already preparing to shoot Wonder Woman 2 for release in 2019. Wonder Woman is proof positive that good superhero movies continue to do even better business, and WB has a whole stable of these caped folks at their disposal. But things are definitely about to change.

Aquaman will move forward. That's a given.

Shazam is steaming forward. Can't see them pulling this out of the workflow.

Wonder Woman 2. Again, moving forward.

We'll see in the coming weeks if WB/DC executives see this as needing course correction, or if it is a reminder not to make last-minute changes that can appear on the screen as half-finished or disruptive to the story. Too soon to tell yet.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Lol, well I never saw any attacks on me so I won't be going anywhere.

I really did want to enjoy this movie, I wanted it to be "all that and a bag of chips", however for me it wasn't.  I'm glad that others enjoyed it though.

Honestly, my audience here in Richmond were clapping in the end. That Lois Lane speech and the spots showing the heroes moving as individuals while also a team hit the right note with folks that I experienced first-hand.

It may not work for all as they wanted the 100% completed package experience. Including a clear backstory to the characters and Justice League. I can see that being a potential turn-off. More of the deleted scenes are leaking out where they went into a brief backstory for Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash. That could have helped.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed! Back to the movie, which many enjoyed and many didn't. Oh well!

Maybe just maybe if some of these people would see the movie then I could understand their discontent like media junkie

ive said this about the other movies I like vs those who dislike them etc

i don’t comment beyond a point if I haven’t seen it. That would be ignorant yet so others can continue to post negatives without having seen a film