• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

The good the bad and the ugly. My view:

Spoiler

Thought the first 30 minutes or so (gathering the team) were near-perfect. But it totally went off the rails in the last 40 minutes or so, with the ridiculous CGI and weak villain.

• Liked Wonder Woman and The Flash – although, as others pointed out, he was far more Wally West (or even Bart) than Barry Allen to me.
  • Liked the two end-credit sequences (although, what's with Deathstroke's hard plastic uniform? I thought in the comics it was malleable chain mail. I’ll defer to Marv Wolfman and am embarrassed to admit that while I own the Liefeld original art to two of the early New 52 Deathstroke covers, I’ve never actually read that run. My Deathstroke knowledge = New Teen Titans and 1-12 of his ‘90s series).
  • Liked the references to Old Gods vs. New Gods and Darkseid
  • Liked the callback to Flash’s cameo in BvS where he tells Bruce that Lois is “the key” – or here, “the big guns”
  • Liked that Snyder brought back Billy Crudup after he portrayed Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen.
  • Amber Heard looked gorgeous but god I hope Elon Musk sprang for some acting lessons for her before Aquaman. Her line delivery was horrible.
  • Solid character set-up, if only they hadn't forgotten about the plot.

2 stars.

And again, the worst thing this had going for it among general audiences?

Horrible trailers, and that it followed BvS and Suicide Squad.

Same aesthetic+mediocre reviews = the general public stayed away.

31 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Personally I can't believe all the nit picking going on about this movie. I think everyone is setting their expectations to an unrealistic level. I tried to be objective and accept it for what it is and really enjoyed it. Holy cow, after all these years we finally got a Justice League movie and some of Jack Kirby's fourth world thrown in too!

The casting of the actors to the characters seems to be spot on. I most certainly enjoyed Ezra Miller's rendition of the Flash (and the costume) much more than the TV version. Jason Momoa really rocks it as Aquaman and Amber Heard's brief Mera appearance blew me away. Ray Fisher really stepped up to the Cyborg part and was much better than I expected.

There seemed to be an excellent dynamic written in between the characters, even the ones who'd never met each other. Think of how Superman and Cyborg worked together to separate the mother boxes, not bad for two guys that didn't know each other and were just dead before this.

So overall, I think they've laid a good foundation to continue and this movie was not as bad as it's being played up to be. I enjoyed it and felt it had a little bit in common with the recent Thor movie: it had that "...because that's what heroes do!" vibe going on.

I hope WB doesn't let this sink their ship and presses on.

Well said!(worship)

BTW, I liked the Dr Strange movie, I didn't even realize people hated it, lol. I even watched it a 2nd time on TV.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:55 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’m just amazed at how critical people are about just having fun in a theatre

i can only imagine how you approach the more fun things in life but hey I forget im in a comic book forum

Thou dost lack perspective.

It's not about having fun or not having fun.

It's about dishing out decent money to watch something 2nd rate when other franchises (Planet of the Apes, Marvel Cinematic Universe and others) can really deliver something special that you can't wait to talk about with people or see again.

I called JL a stinker without seeing it but I still went to see it.  I went with Lou last night to see it and we dished out $100+ at a VIP theater with dinner. I expect value for my money when I choose to watch a movie.

While not an absolute stinker, it's still an amateurish film in my opinion.

They throw a bunch of new characters at you with no real development, they make up a lame villain to move the plot along, they ram too many things into one 2 hour movie (something the were guilty of with BVS as well - that easily could have been several Billion dollar films if it were done right) and then they try pass it off as a top shelf movie.

It isn't.

Sure, it's fun watching superheroes use their powers, but ultimately quality wise it just felt rushed and I felt like they could have done better.

Wonder Woman was a much better film. It was crafted and well paced start to finish.

DC, what is the hurry? Why not make every film great?

At this point there just seems to be a rush to rival the Thanos saga that Marvel has been building up for nearly a decade. Well, it ain't working. The emperor has no clothes.

Co-incidentally, I read this after making my post above and this critic and I seem to see eye to eye on everything.

https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/justice-league-review-the-flash-cant-save-this-poorly-written-tale/

The one thing that I appreciated about the movie was Elfman's soundtrack. Bringing in the 1989 Batman theme and the Superman theme from other movies really worked well.

I just wish the rest of the movie was as solid.

Just now, Chip Cataldo said:

$100?  Damn, Roy.  I paid $5.50.

It was one of those theaters where they serve you dinner and you sit in reclining chairs.

Not really my favorite place to watch a movie but Lou enjoys it and they serve you dinner in your chair which is a good use of time.

Unless someone orders fish. lol

33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Thou dost lack perspective.

It's not about having fun or not having fun.

It's about dishing out decent money to watch something 2nd rate when other franchises (Planet of the Apes, Marvel Cinematic Universe and others) can really deliver something special that you can't wait to talk about with people or see again.

I called JL a stinker without seeing it but I still went to see it.  I went with Lou last night to see it and we dished out $100+ at a VIP theater with dinner. I expect value for my money when I choose to watch a movie.

While not an absolute stinker, it's still an amateurish film in my opinion.

They throw a bunch of new characters at you with no real development, they make up a lame villain to move the plot along, they ram too many things into one 2 hour movie (something the were guilty of with BVS as well - that easily could have been several Billion dollar films if it were done right) and then they try pass it off as a top shelf movie.

It isn't.

Sure, it's fun watching superheroes use their powers, but ultimately quality wise it just felt rushed and I felt like they could have done better.

Wonder Woman was a much better film. It was crafted and well paced start to finish.

DC, what is the hurry? Why not make every film great?

At this point there just seems to be a rush to rival the Thanos saga that Marvel has been building up for nearly a decade. Well, it ain't working. The emperor has no clothes.

Thanos saga? Is he even part of their movies? Cause I haven’t seen anything related to him since the first GOTG

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Thanos saga? Is he even part of their movies? Cause I haven’t seen anything related to him since the first GOTG

:facepalm:

lol

It's the ENTIRE point of the MCU. Everything is gearing up for Infinity War isn't it?

They're just going about it properly. They're not trying to saturate you with everything at once. They're building each piece to the puzzle deliberately, patiently and thoroughly by developing each character slowly.

It's what DC should be trying to do. Even if the Darkseid final battle appears 5 or 7 years from now, they'd still be better off than just pushing out a few weaker films over 2-4 years.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

lol

It's the ENTIRE point of the MCU. Everything is gearing up for Infinity War isn't it?

They're just going about it properly. They're not trying to saturate you with everything at once. They're building each piece to the puzzle deliberately, patiently and thoroughly by developing each character slowly.

It's what DC should be trying to do. Even if the Darkseid final battle appears 5 or 7 years from now, they'd still be better off than just pushing out a few weaker films over 2-4 years.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

lol

The old coot roy1969 or whatever called this before practically anyone IIRC.  He said they were building a universe and everything was going to tie together.  I thought he was about as deluded on that one as he was as his stand on pressing; this one he got right.  I wish I could effectively search for that post but it was a keeper.

9 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@VintageComics

We went to one of those fancy theaters with the seats I can fall asleep on, too. There was no food. Tickets were $9.50 each. I don't think the movie was worth $100, but it was more than worth $9.50;)

This particular theater allows you to choose your seats, there is an open bar and menu the entire time you're there and food is delivered to your seat up until the movie starts.

It is extravagant but it makes for a nice evening out when time is limited but you still want to see a movie.

But I think most movies at a theater like that are still about $15 minimum and if you want DBox or Dolby, etc it becomes up to $20-25 a head.

I don't think you can buy a movie ticket for under $10 around here anymore.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

This particular theater allows you to choose your seats, there is an open bar and menu the entire time you're there and food is delivered to your seat up until the movie starts.

It is extravagant but it makes for a nice evening out when time is limited but you still want to see a movie.

But I think most movies at a theater like that are still about $15 minimum and if you want DBox or Dolby, etc it becomes up to $20-25 a head.

I don't think you can buy a movie ticket for under $10 around here anymore.

Move;)

I think Joss Whedon had to salvage what was already a mess into something actually watchable, If this was 100% Snyder, it would have been really terrible. The action was awesome and that's what I wanted to see. People complaining about the CGI, How may I ask are you supposed to make a movie like this without CGI?  

People need to stop comparing every DC movie to the Nolan Batman films, those were the exception.

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Move;)

Got kids. Can't. lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I just read about this movie (and it blew me away because it's inexcusable).

I thought Supes looked kind of funny when they resurrected him but didn't think much of it.

Apparently, he was growing a mustache for another movie (MI: 6) and didn't want to shave it for filming JL.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Why-Superman-Mouth-Weird-Justice-League-44272188

So instead of waiting till his 'stache was done with or wearing a fake one for MI: 6, they CGI'd it out of his face. But in the process they changed the way he physically looked.

So I'm watching this part of the movie thinking 'why doesn't this look like Henry Cavill?' but I couldn't place it. It looked very 'video game' like if you know what I mean.

The answer is easy. His face was digitally touched up. :facepalm:

Honestly, there is just no excuse for this sort of a garbage on what is supposed to be an A list flick. It's a slap in the face of the consumer to bring something like this to market after spending $100's of millions and expect us to like it.

This isn't high school anymore. It's time to bring your A game or go home. If you can't bring your A game it's time to retire.

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Roy stick to what you know comics and cars. And answer my question on comic cons in the comics general thread

I didn't realize you were trying to be funny. lol

I'm waiting for the time to read through that thread. I'll get to it.

:baiting: