• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CNBC article on comic collecting with interview Bob Storms

41 posts in this topic

Interesting short article. The reporter may have conflated the role of CGC and GPA in the tracking of comic values.

I also read the first half dozen comments. The comedians are always the first out of the gate.

Thanks for the post.

Who are Molly and Scott Davis? (shrug)

Excellent question.

What the F are zebra codes?

What the F is "Certifiable Guaranty Co.?"

Who the F is writing articles for CNBC, Mrs. Crotty's 5th grade enrichment journalism class?"

Isn't it past time for a moratorium on headlines like this?

Holy return on investment, Batman! Comic book values up

:facepalm:

I expect every comic article to include "Biff!" "Bang!" "Pow" in the headline.

After dozens of comic movies and billions of dollars injected into the industry, we still can't leave the campy 60s Batman stigma behind....at least not in journalism circles. Are these writers all 70+ years old?

I expect every comic article to include "Biff!" "Bang!" "Pow" in the headline.

After dozens of comic movies and billions of dollars injected into the industry, we still can't leave the campy 60s Batman stigma behind....at least not in journalism circles. Are these writers all 70+ years old?

I also love the paragraphs at the end about mom throwing away the comics. I'm sure it happens, but that hasn't been a reason for any comic published after 1970 (or maybe earlier) to go up in value. This article was so full of cliches, it does read like something that was written 30 years ago and polished up to be relevant today.

It applies to all collectibles: art, cars, coins, stamps, etc ... . It's difficult to write about why people collect in a certain field but easy to talk dollars. (shrug)

Actually, with Comics the 'Why' would make an interesting article. Comic Values Up: fueled by tv and film appearance speculation, variant cover multiples, reboots, retcons and politically correct re-imaginings. Everything except great storytelling.

Plenty there for a journalist to research and explore, if they wanted. Probably easier to commission an article off Fiverr for $5 and write a headline.

You could also add to that ---- nostalgia; being twelve again; a love of history; and, the collector psychology (collecting as a method of control and of being controlled). (thumbs u

Plus Marvel developing the continued story from one issue to another kept the anticipation high and having to wait 'till next month seemed like an eternity to a 10 year old kid. Some would argue that Marvel's successful development of the "cliffhanger" as a plot device in comic books became recognized and adapted to other mediums as well. What I find interesting is that this was used in the 1960's Batman TV show, but DC rarely used it in their comic books at the time like Marvel was.