• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

I was at the 2016 Licensing Show in Las Vegas last week, and Dark Horse Comics was there exhibiting. They were soliciting their properties, including having a "one sheet" for LADY KILLER (in addition to of course Hellboy).

So, it sounds like there's a push towards promoting LADY KILLER and making that property available for merchandising as well as film/television license.

I know the 1st mini-series did well, critically, and sales were good enough to prompt a 2nd series (I hope it's not a limited series, and is going to be an on-going series).

I'm not sure what the speculation on the comics are, especially since the original series has came and gone, as well as go through a minor speculation bump only to cool down a bit since it's "out of sight, out of mind" status. Usually fans speculate on #1's and 1st Appearances, so I'm not sure if the 2nd series coming out is going to have investor interest, unless they're banking on buying based on the introduction of new characters.

Interesting. Is the licensing show for all kinds of products? Weird that Darkhorse would be there.

As for the book, It might be good speculation to try to get cheaper issue 1 of the mini series since that would be the issue that heats up or something like the ECCC exclusive.

Anyone here interested in Riri?

Marvel just released a new picture for their upcoming "reboot" and has Riri front and center.

People have been buying Invincible iron man 7, a small cameo at best. Not bad if you are into cameos, BUT if you want a real full app maybe look into invincible iron man 9, also check out that age of apocalypse variant for IM9....gold?

Seems like this variant has all the ingredients to be a success.

Still can be found at your a LCS. Small risk with big potential for the long term.

Marvel just released a new picture for their upcoming "reboot" and has Riri front and center.

People have been buying Invincible iron man 7, a small cameo at best. Not bad if you are into cameos, BUT if you want a real full app maybe look into invincible iron man 9, also check out that age of apocalypse variant for IM9....gold?

Still can be found at your a LCS. Small risk with big potential for the long term.

IIM 7 is a first appearance. The market doesn't care about the extent of the appearance with modern books. Content doesn't matter anymore. In the past a reader might value a later appearance of a character over a one panel teaser in a previous issue but that doesn't apply these days. A person with a genuine interest in the Riri Williams character might personally value issue 9 or 10 more than issue 7 because those issues flesh out the character a bit, but that person is in the buying minority. Those issues have no incentive variants. They have no reprints with lower print numbers.

IIM 7 is a first appearance. The market doesn't care about the extent of the appearance with modern books. Content doesn't matter anymore. In the past a reader might value a later appearance of a character over a one panel teaser in a previous issue but that doesn't apply these days. A person with a genuine interest in the Riri Williams character might personally value issue 9 or 10 more than issue 7 because those issues flesh out the character a bit, but that person is in the buying minority. Those issues have no incentive variants. They have no reprints with lower print numbers.

Thats because the modern flipper doesnt read comic books today. I agree with the IM7/IM9. To me issue 9 AoA variant has the biggest potential, the AoA was a 1:1 variant not a 1 :10, 1:25 etc...

5188368-09-variant.jpg

It dont hurt to get issues 7 to 10 for Riri fans. Issue 9 will organically grow where as issue 7 only is in demand because is a pump and dump book.

Way too many new people learning the ropes in this hobby trying to find that next kamala/x23 book, that new hot #1 series. We got people buying and praising Lois N Clark 1 as being new superboys 1st app, then turn around the next week and say superboy 19 is the "real" 1st app, when this are clearly 2 diff people ;) like someone once said "that speaks volumes" as to where people are today when it comes to comics.

At the end of the day people can spend their cash however they please, and the new boys in the hobby should do some research and learn it that way, but is good for them to get a few dents along the way and follow that weekly flavor of the week, just dont fall asleep with those books on your hands.

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

Moon girl also building a following

Duke thomas cooling down but will surely pick up heat soon.

Carol danvers gaining traction once again. I posted a picture of AS 9 on IG and with in 2 hours had like 10 people ask me if the book was for sale.

At this point it wouldnt be a bad idea to load up on carol danvers tougher books.

PS east of West is legit! (thumbs u

Thats because the modern flipper doesnt read comic books today. I agree with the IM7/IM9. To me issue 9 AoA variant has the biggest potential, the AoA was a 1:1 variant not a 1 :10, 1:25 etc...

5188368-09-variant.jpg

It dont hurt to get issues 7 to 10 for Riri fans. Issue 9 will organically grow where as issue 7 only is in demand because is a pump and dump book.

Way too many new people learning the ropes in this hobby trying to find that next kamala/x23 book, that new hot #1 series. We got people buying and praising Lois N Clark 1 as being new superboys 1st app, then turn around the next week and say superboy 19 is the "real" 1st app, when this are clearly 2 diff people ;) like someone once said "that speaks volumes" as to where people are today when it comes to comics.

At the end of the day people can spend their cash however they please, and the new boys in the hobby should do some research and learn it that way, but is good for them to get a few dents along the way and follow that weekly flavor of the week, just dont fall asleep with those books on your hands.

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

I disgree since it is a 1:1 ratio. The regular issue has her on the cover drawn by the creator. The issue to have is the regular. Plus, if you look at ebay sales Before the last two days, people were buying the regular issue not the variant.

09.jpg

Edited by catch21

Isn't that Mania ?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Mania_(Klyntar)_(Earth-616)

Yep.

1st appearance in Venom #38 is a fabulous buy

Venom #1 (2003)

Not the venom you want. The clone, yes, but this is all about Andi Benton.

Larry is right.

1st Andi Benton : venom 31

1st Andi as Mania: Venom 38.

I have been stacking on Mania for a while. Nice to see her show back up.

5188368-09-variant.jpg

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

I disgree since it is a 1:1 ratio. The regular issue has her on the cover drawn by the creator. The issue to have is the regular. Plus, if you look at ebay sales Before the last two days, people were buying the regular issue not the variant.

09.jpg

Midtown sold out of those this morning as well. (The #9 regular cover.) There's still a couple of other books around, mostly on eBay. I gotta agree with Catch21, though. The regular issue is a Riri fan's jackpot: full body Riri in new armor, with "INTRODUCING..." caption, AND if you read comics (as any real speccer should), Riri's in the book in armor as well.

Meanwhile, the AoA variant doesn't even have her on it. Isn't that Rhodey? (Riri has an Optimus Prime-style "antenna".)

I emailed CGC this morning and I got this reply:

"After reviewing the issues in question, Invincible Iron Man #7 will be labeled as Riri's first appearance in cameo on last page, and #9 will be labeled as her first full appearance."

So it looks like both books will have a bit of value, though obviously #7 is the current hotness right now.

Edited by ahsieh

5188368-09-variant.jpg

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

I disgree since it is a 1:1 ratio. The regular issue has her on the cover drawn by the creator. The issue to have is the regular. Plus, if you look at ebay sales Before the last two people were buying the regular issue not the variant.

09.jpg

They may have been 1:1 but nobody ordered them that way. I have built 2x sets and they are not easy to find in the wild, went right over the head of most LCS's.

Isn't that Mania ?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Mania_(Klyntar)_(Earth-616)

Yep.

1st appearance in Venom #38 is a fabulous buy

Venom #1 (2003)

Not the venom you want. The clone, yes, but this is all about Andi Benton.

Larry is right.

1st Andi Benton : venom 31

1st Andi as Mania: Venom 38.

I have been stacking on Mania for a while. Nice to see her show back up.

I've got a stack as well. Thought we might never see her again. All we need is a Campbell cover and these baby's are gold.

5188368-09-variant.jpg

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

I disgree since it is a 1:1 ratio. The regular issue has her on the cover drawn by the creator. The issue to have is the regular. Plus, if you look at ebay sales Before the last two people were buying the regular issue not the variant.

09.jpg

They may have been 1:1 but nobody ordered them that way. I have built 2x sets and they are not easy to find in the wild, went right over the head of most LCS's.

I see your point, and I agree that the AoA wasn't ordered that way, but a first appearance without the character on it isn't going to beat a first appearance with the character on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the guy on AoA is Rhodey, because here's what Riri's armor looks like-- note the Optimus Prime-like antenna:

lGFpMOg.png

(I'm happy to be wrong though because I have three copies of the AoA lying around lol )

I've got a stack as well. Thought we might never see her again. All we need is a Campbell cover and these baby's are gold.

Na.....what we need is a modified Transformers cover from AspenStore..........

Na.....what we need is a modified Transformers cover from AspenStore..........

Maybe there's an old turner sketch lying around they could use for a cover (shrug)

I'm not sure the bolded is completely true, though some sports card mentality has begun to permeate the hobby. What I do agree with is the comment a couple of pages back, that stated that once the hype train has left the station for a certain book, it's pretty tough to go backwards.

Right now, that certain book is 7.

I'm not sure the bolded is completely true, though some sports card mentality has begun to permeate the hobby. What I do agree with is the comment a couple of pages back, that stated that once the hype train has left the station for a certain book, it's pretty tough to go backwards.

Right now, that certain book is 7.

Then give a modern example of a non-first appearance that outsells the first appearance where the two books do not have a significant gap in print runs.