• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Have a feeling that the Young Animal DC imprint ashcan from a month or so back might start to get a bit hot. If the titles pan out, and so far Doom Patrol has got a nice buzz from quite a few I've talked to, this giveaway book should start making waves. I know they are just previews/bios, and some frown upon such books, but the market will want them I think.

2c

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=doom+patrol+1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xyoung+animal+ashcan.TRS0&_nkw=young+animal+ashcan&_sacat=0

I know hot off of SDCC, these were highly touted, then suddenly comic shops were shipped these by the tons, where once though to be scarce, now overprinted, and a lot of customers grabbed stacks to horde and hold, so I'd probably shy away from these if buying on speculation more than passion, since I'd guess there's quite a bit of 'em out there, probably more supply than demand, with lots of folks waiting in the wings to offer 'em up on eBay, and because they're free, the cost of goods / cost basis is $0, and they can afford to sell 'em at $0.99 or whatever and garner pure profit.

suddenly comic shops were shipped these by the tons

Okee dokee...

( ACTUALLY the top 1,000 Diamond accounts were shipped fifty ea...)

I gave them away.

This weekend in NY Gerard gave away a "Doom Patrol song" to the 300 fans that attended his panel.

They were cassettes.

He's becoming the "killer promo guy' fast.

Not saying the b&w promo will put your kids through college or pay for your prescription....

Easy $10 soon though.

Ask anybody set up in NYCC how his stuff sold there.

Gangbusters.

1,000 x 50 = 50,000

2,000 = 1 ton

50,000 = 25 tons

So, yes there's tons of them out there

and they're still sitting at LCS's around here in the free stacks

Oh,

They weigh a pound each?

My mistake.

Tons it is....

Carry on sniping & being miserable to each other....

Average comic weighs 1.8 ounces. If there's 50k copies (50 copies per retailer x 1000 retailers), that's 90,000 ounces. 90,000 ounces = 5,625 lbs. So technically a little over 2.75 short tons. Or 2.55 metric tons or 2.51 gross/imperial tons.

I mean, if we're going to be pedantic, might as well go all the way

Cool.

It's an ashcan.

Remeasure & get back to me.

Have a feeling that the Young Animal DC imprint ashcan from a month or so back might start to get a bit hot. If the titles pan out, and so far Doom Patrol has got a nice buzz from quite a few I've talked to, this giveaway book should start making waves. I know they are just previews/bios, and some frown upon such books, but the market will want them I think.

2c

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=doom+patrol+1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xyoung+animal+ashcan.TRS0&_nkw=young+animal+ashcan&_sacat=0

I know hot off of SDCC, these were highly touted, then suddenly comic shops were shipped these by the tons, where once though to be scarce, now overprinted, and a lot of customers grabbed stacks to horde and hold, so I'd probably shy away from these if buying on speculation more than passion, since I'd guess there's quite a bit of 'em out there, probably more supply than demand, with lots of folks waiting in the wings to offer 'em up on eBay, and because they're free, the cost of goods / cost basis is $0, and they can afford to sell 'em at $0.99 or whatever and garner pure profit.

Okee dokee...

I gave them away.

This weekend in NY Gerard gave away a "Doom Patrol song" to the 300 fans that attended his panel.

They were cassettes.

Not saying the b&w promo will put your kids through college or pay for your prescription....

Easy $10 soon though.

Gangbusters.

1,000 x 50 = 50,000

2,000 = 1 ton

50,000 = 25 tons

Oh,

They weigh a pound each?

My mistake.

Tons it is....

Average comic weighs 1.8 ounces. If there's 50k copies (50 copies per retailer x 1000 retailers), that's 90,000 ounces. 90,000 ounces = 5,625 lbs. So technically a little over 2.75 short tons. Or 2.55 metric tons or 2.51 gross/imperial tons.

Cool.

It's an ashcan.

Gimme a page count & I'll get you a weight on the whole print run in about 30 seconds.

Each page weighs approximately 0.1 ounces with a 0.1-0.2 ounce cover. So the math ain't hard.

Edited by Doktor

2c

Okee dokee...

I gave them away.

They were cassettes.

Easy $10 soon though.

Gangbusters.

1,000 x 50 = 50,000

2,000 = 1 ton

50,000 = 25 tons

Oh,

They weigh a pound each?

My mistake.

Tons it is....

Cool.

It's an ashcan.

Gimme a page count & I'll get you a weight on the whole print run in about 30 seconds.

Each page weighs approximately 0.1 ounces with a 0.1-0.2 ounce cover. So the math ain't hard.

Yes.

I've done it.

( and it ain't a ton )

Everyone was being pedantic & petty & arguing semantics, so I figured I'd take it to its logical conclusion.

And if it's a 14 page ashcan (7 actual pages), with the same paper stock for the cover, it's still over a ton, Larry. It's still almost exactly 1.25 short tons.

Edited by Doktor

What is everyone's thought on Reborn? I picked up a copy of the NYCC variant to sit on as I thought the team could get people excited and what looks like the possible success of Seven to Eternity may have people slightly more interested in sci-fi. Anyone else think buying a few might be the smart move, or will the print run be too high (couldn't find that information).

I've been pre-ordering 3 of each of the regular covers and 1 of each of the limited covers. So I'm buying it but not super heavy buying it. I'm going to sit on them and hope that 1) I can meet Capullo at some point and get signatures and 2) it gets made into a movie.

What is everyone's thought on Reborn? I picked up a copy of the NYCC variant to sit on as I thought the team could get people excited and what looks like the possible success of Seven to Eternity may have people slightly more interested in sci-fi. Anyone else think buying a few might be the smart move, or will the print run be too high (couldn't find that information).

With the 1:100 and other incentive variants, I think there will be plenty to go around.

I bought some off ebay because my shop was out. I only remember seeing about a page worth of them. I didn't think it seemed like a lot. Especially since theres like 4 covers. I did get a sketch book from NYCC though.

Was the Seven to Eternity print run low? That seemed to sell out fast.
It sold out quick, but Ebay is littered with them.

Littered. What a wonderful choice of word :cloud9:

Sums up how I've been feeling about the market lately.

With the 1:100 and other incentive variants, I think there will be plenty to go around.

Do we know what the print run is on this? Is the NYCC sketch the most rare at 400?

Do we know what the print run is on this? Is the NYCC sketch the most rare at 400?

Won't know the distribution for a month. But yes, I would assume that to be the least printed. Hard to believe there are only 400 out there.

Edited by ygogolak

Won't know the distribution for a month. But yes, I would assume that to be the least printed. Hard to believe there are only 400 out there.

If they are the most rare, then it's crazy that they are less than half the price of the 1:100 variant right now

How will you know the print run on the 1:100?