• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any legs on Cerebus?

11 posts in this topic

crazy.gif Pun intended.

I have getting on for 90% of the issues from 11 through 200 in read condition. I've long since given up the thought of finishing the set and around 2000 I found you couldn't give them away.

I know 300 breathed some life last year, but what's the story now? Do people still buy these or do they just get the reprints?

The issues above 35 or so are available in sufficient quantities. The ones under 10 are real tough and, while not blue chip investments, high grade examples will always be in demand. If you've got 200 issues already, finishing up through 300 should be easy. But it could take a while to find nice copies of 1-6, especially 3 and 4.

Wow, $11,000 for the #1. I can't believe it'll sell at that price, but if I won the lottery I'd buy it. The 9.8s are tempting, though. And the 9.9 #4 is really sweet. I could almost convince myself that $1000 is a bargain.

If you've got 200 issues already, finishing up through 300 should be easy.

I know I'd have no problems finishing the run, but reading them could be more of a challenge. I read seriously through High Society and then semi-seriously through to the story that finished around 100, Church + State (?). After that I was buying, but my heart wasn't there.

I think Sim must have lost a lot of readers around this time, which is a shame as the early issues were great. Unfortunately, as it progressed, the story took about 5 minutes to read each issue and the letter column took about 3 hours. crazy.gif Where did it all go wrong?

Melmoth shook off a lot of people. You're right circulation was at it's peak around 90-100, but after C&S it changed direction radically. Jaka's Story, the beginning of the text pieces in the books, signalled Sim's change from comic book guy to writer/illustrator. Mother's and Daughters really started carrying his misogynistic message. But Melmoth is where most former readers I know dropped out. Cerebus sitting there in the cafe for month after month without much happening was tough to read.