• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Spider-Man become more important than Superman?

39 posts in this topic

I was talking to my god father the other day (he is 68 years old and was a huge comic fan during the silver age era as well as a collector) and asked him this question. To my surprise he said there is no doubt at all that Spider-Man is now more important than Superman. He said that goes for his generation and for the new generation. He said Spider-Man is every where (movies, toys and so on) and for him AF15 is the most important comic book ever made. To be honest I was very surprised.

What do you guys think about this?

Easy to get into a semantics debate

Important to comic collecting? No, Superman by a tall building

Important to history of superheros? No again - Influence through history of comics, TV and even Movies is Superman IMO.

Important to kids today? Prolly Spiderman but still close.

Important to current toys and merchandise - Spiderman, yeah

But even if you simply asked the question to the man on the street, I'd guess it'd be 60/40 superman depending on the demographics on age.With a skew to Superman for those 40 and up.

Spidey is more popular in today's day. Superman is still more important historically as the first superhero and that won't ever change. Both characters (as well as Batman) probably have the longest and largest impact on recognizable pop culture as far as marketing and merchandise goes.

Action 1 is still the most significant comic book published (even if Spider-Man is more popular)

I feel like Iron Man is more popular with kids these days than Spidey.

I tend to agree.

Out of all my friends that have young'ish kids (6-12), almost all of them are more into Iron Man and Hulk than Spidey.

I'm the "Uncle with the comic collection" to most of them, and when I'm asked to show some old books, Mr. Parker never enters the conversation.

I prefer Batman over Spider-Man any day of the week.....he has always been my favorite and always will be. As for Superman I have to say I prefer Spider-Man (every Superman movie is the same with the same villains and story line.....wish they would be more like the comic books). I also prefer Iron Man over Spider-Man (to me the movies where a lot better but that may change once Spider-Man joins the Avengers in the up coming movies. Spider-Man will also be in the next Captain America movie as well.

My 2 favorite super heroes of all time are Batman and Captain America. I would say Spider-Man fits in some where in my top 10....but not in my top 5 for sure!!

Spider-Man will make a strong come back once he joins the Avengers team!! That said I no longer see AF15 ever dropping out of the #1 spot (I thought maybe Hulk 1 would one day down the line but I do not think that anymore after reading peoples responses here in various topics) on the top 50 Silver Age comics of all time. Just like Action Comics #1 will never be passed by Detective Comics #27 (I also once believed it would years ago and was proven wrong year after year).

Spider-Man will make a strong come back once he joins the Avengers team!! That said I no longer see AF15 ever dropping out of the #1 spot (I thought maybe Hulk 1 would one day down the line but I do not think that anymore after reading peoples responses here in various topics) on the top 50 Silver Age comics of all time. Just like Action Comics #1 will never be passed by Detective Comics #27 (I also once believed it would years ago and was proven wrong year after year).

Hulk #1 always has the potential to be more valuable than Amazing Fantasy #15 simply due to the lower supply.