• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which is worth more, the Mile High Action #1 or the Action #1 Cover OA?

Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?

209 posts in this topic

Although Park's Law says that no celebrity or outsider will ever spend big money on comics or comic-related art, I think the Action 1 cover OA would at a minimum attract the likes of Lucas and Spielberg who are into Americana.

Celebrity insider with a strong, longstanding interest in collecting comics and pop culture items (like Lucas or Spielberg): yes

Celebrity outsider with little or no connection to the hobby who hears of something going up for auction and suddenly thinks it's so important that they have to have it because they are rich: no

there's no guarantee that the MH Action 1 would sell for $7M either, is there? Who knows how deep the pool of collectors really is? After all, the winner of the $3M copy was Metro.

Metro - well they also won that spidey 328 page you referenced. Or did they?

There are no real benchmarks in the OA yet. If and when we see public sales of the likes of AF 15, FF 1, Detective 27, Captain America 1, IH 181, GSX 1, etc., then we might start to see some legitimate benchmarks.

We have a private, but well-known sale datapoint of the GSXM 1 cover a while back. I think now it's probably several multiples higher - high 6-figures or very low 7-figures. I have a pretty good idea of where IH 181 would end up if it exists and came to auction (low 7-figures). That would be a fraction of the MH Action #1 for both and an even smaller fraction if the Action #1 cover OA was more valuable. Let's say MH Action #1 is $5 million and the cover OA is $6-7 million as some seem to believe (others probably think both are higher). Is the Action #1 cover really worth 6-8x GSXM 1? Is it worth 3-4x GSXM 1 plus IH 181 combined? Is it worth those two plus ASM 50, Silver Surfer 4, a complete Ditko Spidey story, McSpidey 1, Dark Knight 1, plus a million bucks cash combined?

Action #1 the comic has ratcheted higher over many years to achieve the value it commands today. I think the OA market has a lot of catching up to do before Action #1 the OA can be worth as much as some people here seem to believe. Maybe it can get there over time, but I don't believe it is there right now, and certainly not by such a huge margin that it "blows away" the MH Action #1 copy and is worth all those other iconic OA pieces known to exist put together (if you don't like the examples I used, take your pick of others - there's nothing that's off the table with the implied Action #1 cover valuation you are talking about). 2c

There are no real benchmarks in the OA yet. If and when we see public sales of the likes of AF 15, FF 1, Detective 27, Captain America 1, IH 181, GSX 1, etc., then we might start to see some legitimate benchmarks.

We have a private, but well-known sale datapoint of the GSXM 1 cover a while back. I think now it's probably several multiples higher - high 6-figures or very low 7-figures. I have a pretty good idea of where IH 181 would end up if it exists and came to auction (low 7-figures). That would be a fraction of the MH Action #1 for both and an even smaller fraction if the Action #1 cover OA was more valuable. Let's say MH Action #1 is $5 million and the cover OA is $6-7 million as some seem to believe (others probably think both are higher). Is the Action #1 cover really worth 6-8x GSXM 1? Is it worth 3-4x GSXM 1 plus IH 181 combined? Is it worth those two plus ASM 50, Silver Surfer 4, a complete Ditko Spidey story, McSpidey 1, Dark Knight 1, plus a million bucks cash combined?

Action #1 the comic has ratcheted higher over many years to achieve the value it commands today. I think the OA market has a lot of catching up to do before Action #1 the OA can be worth as much as some people here seem to believe. Maybe it can get there over time, but I don't believe it is there right now, and certainly not by such a huge margin that it "blows away" the MH Action #1 copy and is worth all those other iconic OA pieces known to exist put together (if you don't like the examples I used, take your pick of others - there's nothing that's off the table with the implied Action #1 cover valuation you are talking about). 2c

No one from outside the comics community would know or care about GSX 1 or IH 181.

Action 1 is iconic and transcends comic-dom.

So yeah, I could easily see it going for all of the various OA pieces you've mentioned, in the same way that I could see the MH Action 1 going for more than the 9.6 AF 15, 9.6 FF 1, 9.6 JIM 83, 9.8 ASM 1 and 9.4 IH 1 combined. They're just on completely different levels.

^ one of those questions to which one never gets a straight answer. Some suggest those sa marvel covers exist, some suggest they don't.

I tend to think they don't because we don't see prehero covers either ... No TOS 1-38 covers or astonish 1-26 covers around despite all of those interiors existing. But when it comes to the covers I really don't know.

The interiors definitely exist and were in fact recently donated

does the OA to AF15 exist ?

Yup, it was donated to the Library of Congress. You should Google it.

Well, if the interior art exist, then it's quite likely that the exterior cover art also exists.

Most likely sitting in the hands of a private collector along with some of the other key covers. hm

The best copy of the best comic is also huge, but the buyer can buy a 9.0 or better copy if he chooses, he has -- to date, -- three chances to do so, assuming, as I do, that the MH copy is at worst a 9.2

Second place is the first loser. If you want the best of the best, there is only one. :sumo:

Well, I'm saying this buyer buys both, so assuming this guy buys the artwork, because it's truly one of a kind... Then he wouldn't need the best copy too. That's overkill. You know the guy who can pay what the price for either would be able to stretch a bit for a HG copy of the book, a reader copy!

No one from outside the comics community would know or care about GSX 1 or IH 181.

So yeah, I could easily see it going for all of the various OA pieces you've mentioned, in the same way that I could see the MH Action 1 going for more than the 9.6 AF 15, 9.6 FF 1, 9.6 JIM 83, 9.8 ASM 1 and 9.4 IH 1 combined. They're just on completely different levels.

I agree

Count me in the non-transcending camp. Betting on huge moneyed outsiders with no connection to the source material coming in just to buy a trophy piece from our hobby that they don't really care about has proven time and again to be a sucker's bet. Rational minds can argue whether something like the Action #1 cover OA is so iconic and transcendental that it would be the exception, but, frankly, I still think it takes a very comic-centric view of the world to actually believe that. Would your old boss "Superman" really think he needed to spend $5-$10 million on something like this? Would any outsider, regardless of their bankroll, have the fanboys' clinical psychosis to justify that kind of heretofore unprecedented sum for something that really doesn't mean much/anything to them? I'll still take the "under" on that bet.

Anyway, if both the MH Action #1 and the theoretical Action #1 cover art are both worth more than all those other OA covers combined and then some, I guess the real takeaway is that either both are ludicrously overvalued or the latter is undervalued (at least on a relative basis). hm

Anything's possible when you are talking a cover that doesn't exist vs a comic that isn't on the block, but the trouble with the action 1 cover beating the comic is that you'd be asking the art to step sooooo far outside of precedent.

With comics, the 3m level is precedent, so making it to 6m or 7m for the comic shouldn't be a stretch at all.

With OA, the current public precedent is 600k... you'd be asking the hobby players to go from 600k to 6m or 7m overnight.

Its just too big a leap right now.

If it went for that kind of money I think it would go to someone used to dropping big coin on the printed comics, rather than on OA. Similar to when richard evans bought that action 15 cover.

Your comparison is apples and oranges.

The $3M comic sale you're citing is for the top book in the hobby. In contrast, the $600K OA sales you're citing (ASM 328 cover and IH 180 panel page) are for art that's not even close to the top existing OA in the hobby, and would not be even in the top 100 if all OA existed (in the case of ASM 328, top 1000).

O

Completely agree

Count me in the non-transcending camp. Betting on huge moneyed outsiders with no connection to the source material coming in just to buy a trophy piece from our hobby that they don't really care about has proven time and again to be a sucker's bet.

You miss my point. By saying that Action 1 transcends comics, I`m not saying that it means a person with no interest in comics would suddenly be willing to buy it. But a person with some interest in comics or Americana would be willing to pay more for it than a cover that would be of interest to only those in the hobby, because if nothing else it would actually mean something if they showed it to outsiders.

..... I notice you don't include any of the top census Silver Age D.C.'s in your hypothetical comparison........ D.C. purist snob :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u