• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2015: The Votes are in

258 posts in this topic

congrats to the champs! where can we find the vote tally?

If you go back to the Lowry, each category has a voting results link when you open it up

awesome thanks! dang, just 3 votes shy for my jam. I should have shilled some votes! :P

It was a fun competition - here are the winners for each category, congrats :applause:

1. Published/Unpublished: Covers: THE ROCKETEER (Dave Stevens)

Ce33kBBI_1401161229451.jpg

2. Published: Splash Pages, Pinups: Marvel Comics Presents - Weapon X - Chapter 8 Splash - Barry Windsor-Smith

tDSpEn21_1401162125391.jpg

3. Published: Interior Panel Pages: Stevens, Dave - Rocketeer, volume 2, chapter 2, page 7 (July 1989)

FbVg8Ndc_1301161001091.jpg

4. Published: Strip Art: Alex Raymond / Flash Gordon and the Fiery Desert of Mongo

LfCrSFjS_0801160417391.jpg

5. Published/Unpublished: Commissions: ROCKETEER & BETTY (Adam Hughes)

gbAkSRcM_1401161243011.jpg

6. Unpublished: Convention Sketches: Selina Kyle by Tim Sale

G83Tftbi_0801161604281.jpg

7. Unpublished/Published: Other: Alfredo Alcala - Savage Sword of Conan (unpublished Title Page)

2563VUgO_0801161809121.jpg

Wait there was a tie for Unpublished/Published: Other:

Batman Masterpiece got the same number of votes as Alfredo Alcala - Savage Sword of Conan. We have a tie

It was a fun competition - here are the winners for each category, congrats :applause:

[...]

Wait there was a tie for Unpublished/Published: Other:

Batman Masterpiece got the same number of votes as Alfredo Alcala - Savage Sword of Conan. We have a tie

You're absolutely right, here it is - better late than never, and it's a great piece!

Unpublished/Published: Other: Batman Masterpiece, Artist: Aype Beven (All)

LINfphJJ_1501161924071.jpg

Thank again for all those who entered, about 500 entries which is about what we have every year (maybe next year get some more of you to participate). Always fun to see the pieces I missed when they were posted during the year or the ones only posted in the Best of. You can see a full list in each category, a link is there.

http://www.comicartfans.com/lowry.asp

The top vote getters and their respective owners. I see a trend here, 3 of the 7 categories were won by Rocketeer as the subject. (Next year no Rocketeer pieces allowed)

Kidding

1. Published/Unpublished: Covers:

THE ROCKETEER (Dave Stevens) - (Felix Lu Gallery)

2. Published: Splash Pages, Pinups:

Marvel Comics Presents - Weapon X - Chapter 8 Splash - Barry Windsor-Smith- (Raymond Bryan Gallery)

3. Published: Interior Panel Pages:

Stevens, Dave - Rocketeer, volume 2, chapter 2, page 7 (July 1989)- (Ronan Killack Gallery)

4. Published: Strip Art:

Alex Raymond / Flash Gordon and the Fiery Desert of Mongo- (N. V. Gallery)

5. Published/Unpublished: Commissions:

ROCKETEER & BETTY (Adam Hughes)- (Felix Lu Gallery)

6. Unpublished: Convention Sketches:

Selina Kyle by Tim Sale- (Vincent VP Gallery)

7. Unpublished/Published: Other: A tie:

Alfredo Alcala - Savage Sword of Conan (unpublished Title Page)- (Michael Diaz Gallery)

Batman Masterpiece, Artist: Aype Beven (All)- (Jared Simmons Gallery)

(Next year no Rocketeer pieces allowed)

Kidding

Great idea :idea: This year maybe I can send you some boxes of brandy and include a list of the extremely few superheroes allowed :gossip:

Maybe I should try to increase my focus on other categories, published covers seem like entering the ring to fight a 19-year-old Mike Tyson :)

:jokealert:

In my mind the yearly Lowry competition is not about winning but is a great - and fun - opportunity to share your art with other collectors. Big thanks to Brian and Bill for making this happen!

Interesting outcome for me this year. Entered 5 pieces and 3 got votes:

Lady Death in Lingerie #1, page 29 (1995): 1 vote

Marvel Comics Presents #87, page 17 - The Beast - (1991): 2 votes

Mary Jane & Venom: Fright Night (2011): 3 votes

Not really surprised by much of that. Sex sells, after all.

No, the big thing that surprised me was that Supergirl: Flying Skirt Foibles (2004) had the most views of anything in my Lowry, but got no votes. Seemed a bit odd, given that.

Oh, any my wife nabbed a vote for one of her pieces, during her first time doing "Best Of," with her Wonder Woman by Fred Benes piece.

Like I said, some interesting results this year.

Most years people complain that only the expensive pieces will get the most votes. One of the excuses some use not to participate in the best of. That really isn't true. Take co-winner of the Unpublished/Published: Other:

Alfredo Alcala - Savage Sword of Conan (unpublished Title Page) Collection of Mike Diaz

It won but was not that expensive, a great piece of art. Food for thought when you enter next year.

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/images/Category_50625/Lowry/2563VUgO_0801161809121.jpg

(...)

4. Published: Strip Art: Alex Raymond / Flash Gordon and the Fiery Desert of Mongo

(...)

Wow ! When I first read that post, I thought that Rune was just listing his own choice ... but yes, as incredible as it sounds, I won in one of the categories (and my other pages received some votes as well).

Thanks smsc500.gif

I was shocked to see that 3 of my entries got votes. I collection commissions mostly and they tend to be things of a specialized nature so finding at a few other souls like the same sort of things tickles my funny bone.

3 Votes each for both my Archie Legion vs. the Fatal Five by Dan Parentand Maleficent by Michael Dooney plus one for my Secret Santa gift (me vs. Supergirl by Anthony Carpenter) is pretty astounding to me.

(...)

(...)

Wow ! When I first read that post, I thought that Rune was just listing his own choice ... but yes, as incredible as it sounds, I won in one of the categories (and my other pages received some votes as well).

Thanks smsc500.gif

Well deserved, in my opinion. An astounding piece.

As in year's past, I voted for pieces that I could see possibly owning or that just hit me aesthetically. My tastes probably aren't the most refined, but it'd be a bore if we were all alike anyways. Here's a quick rundown of where my votes went:

Published/Unpublished: Covers

Ray Cuthbert Barr, Glenn L, Jr. - Orbit magazine cover March 1996

Alex L Mark Brooks - X-Men #1 cover

Rune Rasmussen Batman #670 (2007) Ra's al Ghul Variant Cover by Antonio (Tony) Salvador Daniel

Joe Shaffer New Teen Titans 23 George Perez Cover

Joe Shaffer Ultimate Marvel Team Up 6 Cover - Bill Sienkiewicz

Published: Splash Pages, Pinups

Miki Annamanthadoo Superman Family 188 page 1

Raymond Bryan Marvel Comics Presents - Weapon X - Chapter 8 Splash - Barry Windsor-Smith

Dan Jerome 1st Thorne Red Sonja

Ronan Killack Craig, Johnny - Vault of Horror, issue 37, page 1 (Jun/Jul 1954)

Drake Tungsten Mike Ploog Werewolf By Night splash

Published: Interior Panel Pages

Lee Benaka Captain America 143, page 3

Ankur J What If Spiderman Saved Gwen Stacy?

Dave Kopecki X-men #8 pg 14 by Jim Lee

The NotSoNice Collection BATMAN 621 Page 09

Chris Swartz Batman Bloodstorm Pg 28 by Kelley Jones

Published: Strip Art

Comicart B Charles Schulz Peanuts Daily Strip Original Art dated 12-3-57

Gary Land Frank Frazetta Johnny Comet Sunday

Scotty Moore Ozark Ike daily 10 January 1948 - Gotto

Jeff Singh Terry and Pirates featuring the Dragonlady by Milton Caniff

John Stuart Star Wars Daily - RUSS MANNING 2-23-1980

Published/Unpublished: Commissions

Dean Abraham Goblin Queen Arthur Adams

Migs D C Jae Lee Death Commission

Michael Diaz Steve Rude - Aurora (with respect to Dave Stevens)

Alex L Adam Hughes - Valkyrie

Vincent VP Black Cat by Olivier Coipel

Unpublished: Convention Sketches

eewwnuk 1 The Original 5 - Batman Villains Jam

Justin Belmont Poison Ivy - Arthur Adams

Karl-Erik Lindkvist Gisèle Lagacé - Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Leonard Richman Wonder Woman by Francis Manapul

Vincent VP Selina Kyle by Tim Sale

Unpublished/Published: Other

David Dingman Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn by Eric Canete

Tim F Jedi Master Yoda - Tyler Jacobson

Jon Hess Bruce Timm - All-New X-Men 25 page 5 (Alternate)

Jared Simmons Batman Masterpiece

Jeff Singh Furiosa by Brian Stelfreeze

As for my entries this year, 4 of the 5 received votes! I thank those of you that decided to use a vote on one of my pieces, it's always nice to see others enjoy the art as much as I do. I was the most pleasantly surprised by the one vote my cover entry received, that one was cool to see given the competition in that particular category.

Congrats all on a great 2015 and wishing you all a fruitful 2016!