• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2015: The Votes are in

258 posts in this topic

Just 3 more days to choose your 5 best pieces and post them in the Lowry.

The yearly Best of is open to all, regular and premium members but I do encourage all who are not Premium Members to consider becoming one. There are alot of great features offered to Premium Members, the best for me is the daily emails and watched galleries. Can't say how many pieces I have acquired over the years thru those two services. Pays for the Premium membership.

http://www.comicartfans.com/premiuminfo.asp

Or if you just want to support Bill and CAF and all it has done for the comic art collecting. CAF does take donations.

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2015.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin.

Best of 2015 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Convention Sketches

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 8th (early entries)

Posting Ends: Jan 17 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp

2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile

3) Select the "Comicart-L Member" option (you will need this option turned on to upload entries to the Lowry)

2) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences

3) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)

4) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New

Artwork' link.

5) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2015"

6) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it applies)

7) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Strip Art

Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

8) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 18th (Monday)

Voting end January 24th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

If there are any problems in uploading images please e-mail Bill (bill@cox-consulting.com) and any questions on artwork, categories or what can be uploaded please direct to me.

Hi Folks

Another year and I have been lucky enough once again to enhance my collection. It's always tough but here are my best 5 and next 5

My best of entries:

1. Tim Sale Superman For All Seasons Issue 2 Cover

Not only is this a landmark Superman series, this is the cover to the first OA page I ever bought.

2. Dale Keown Hulk 340 Cover Recreation Sketch

I'll never own the original cover, and getting McFarlane to do a recreation is even less likely, but this Dale Keown one really is just as good!

3. Steve McNiven Wolverine Sketch

I'm still after a good Old Man Logan page, but this sketch will tide me over nicely until then

3. Steve McNiven Wolverine Sketch

I'm still after a good Old Man Logan page, but this sketch will tide me over nicely until then

4. David Lloyd V for Vendetta page

I finally have a page from this landmark Alan Moore series!

5. Joe Quesada Daredevil page

One of the best pages from the Smith/Quesada/Palmiotti DD run!

Lowry Link

I also bought other great art in 2015 so here are the runner ups:

Dale Keown Hulk: The End DPS

Kevin Maguire JLI page - Guy Bumps His Head and Turns Good!

Dave Cockrum Nightcrawler Miniseries page

Tim Sale Batman: The Long Halloween Page

Bryan Hitch JLA Full Team Promo Piece

Thanks for reading my spiel!

Malvin

I have put up four pieces this year, all of which I am very happy about. My Lowry Gallery is here

http://www.comicartfans.com/MyLowry.asp?GSub=221

The pieces are as follows:

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8178

This one has a long history for me. I owned the original of this cover for many years, but was forced to sell it when I hit a financial pothole too big to avoid. I was VERY sad about that and had actually emailed him about doing a recreation only to find out that he was ill and couldn't do any more. Fast forward to last year when a good friend asked if I could help him sell a few Buscema pieces to aid in his own financial woes. I was totally blown away to discover that he had commissioned this cover from Buscema-likely after seeing my own original! No hesitation-I jumped on it and he was kind enough to let me pay over time. Its truly the next best thing!!

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8177

Craig Russell has done a couple of kickstarters with original art as a "prize" but I never had the money when they came up. This time was the exception and I jumped right on it. I had long regretted not getting one of the Sandman 50 pages when he put them on the market, and even more so my stupidity in not buying the Sandman T-shirt art he did for Graphitti many years ago when I saw it in a gallery in NYC. I knew I wanted a Sandman piece and I knew I wanted an Arabian Nights theme-Craig did all the rest-and quite a job he did! My itch for a signature Sandman piece by Craig has certainly been scratched-and even cooler, he did a 3 minute video talking about the genesis of the piece that he posted on facebook. Great experience all around.

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8176

I spoke to Tim and his agent Jason about this one back in 2014 when Tim first started selling pages from his new Cap book. I am a huge fan of Tim's work and so is my wife, so it made picking out this commission particularly easy. I decided to go for something a little different though and felt like it would be cool to ask for a horizontal format rather than the typical vertical format for the piece. Tim apparently liked the idea too because he knocked this one out of the park. I especially love the little touches like the partial head shots of the Red Skull and Nick Fury. When it was done, Jason called and asked if I minded if they made it their 2015 convention print with colors by Dave Stewart. Who is gonna say no to that?? To top it off, a cropped version of this piece is going to be the cover of the collected edition of Captain America: White. Pretty much hit the trifecta on this one!

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8181

I thought the new Little Nemo Dream Another Dream was one of the great projects to come out of Kickstarter. I was fortunate that I got to meet Yuko Shimizu at an event in Athens GA just after the book came out. I was even luckier to have a business meeting in NYC only three weeks later and arranged a visit to her studio. In the course of a couple of cups of tea and several hours of looking through a bunch of amazing illustration work I discovered that this piece was available. I have a soft spot for Little Nemo anyway, and this was the perfect piece for me. I am in awe of the incredible brushwork in this piece. Its so detailed in fact, that I asked her to sign it on the back since I couldn't find anywhere on the art that I thought a signature would comfortably fit.

The Lowry is named after Bruce Lowry (I believe), who was a longtime collector and awesome all around guy apparently. He died way too young, as too many do.

Mr.Lowry was an early member of a group of comic art fan illuminati who predate my involvement in the hobby (and I joined in the late 80s or so). They started something in his memory where images were shared and it now exists in some form or another as "The Lowry" on CAF where each member of CAF can post up to 5 images. Every year Boll Cox and the gang at CAF let The Lowry be used for the annual Best Of..., which Brian Peck does a great job of handling.

At least that is my hazy understanding of the situation. My errors will prompt enough outrage to get you the rest of the story.

Would someone mind explaining this to me? What's "Lowry", and how do I submit a piece or see the categories? Cheers!

K

The instructions I posted above. As to getting there, after you post pieces in the Lowry, there is a link under the CAF galleries on your main CAF page to your Lowry. To see all the Lowry just select Gallery menu on any CAF page then select Lowry.

The Lowry is a place prior to Comicartfans where comic art collectors could share their collections. It is associated with ComicArt-L, an email discussion list currently hosted via Yahoo! Groups (formerly Onelist/eGroups).

Bruce Lowry Memorial Gallery (Lowry Gallery) was hosted on a number of different websites over the years. It gave the opportunity to share five (5) of your pieces on the web. The Lowry Gallery is named after Bruce Lowry (fellow comic art collector) who suddenly passed away in Feb 1999. Since 2004 Comicartfans has hosted the Lowry.

Prior to being hosted by the CAF we had an annual Best of to have people post their favorite pieces, buy/traded up over the last year. Before CAF, Lowry was the only public place to share comic art (excluding someone's personal site) and it was very limited.

Now with the CAF there is no limitation to the number of pieces you can post. The Best of is a way to see what great pieces you might have missed on CAF over the year since there are thosands of members and alot of art is posted on CAF daily.

You can find out more at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/Lowry.asp

http://www.comicartfans.com/lowry-about.asp

I always viewed the Best Of...as a communal sharing in the town square. It follows that a vote should be held for most impressive piece, but the community sharing is the key. When you go to a trade show or a crafts festival or whatever it is obviously some pieces appeal to you more than others but all pieces have their place in the show. Seeing them all together is a grand experience. (I often have to take a rest between categories or even come back to the larger categories after a gross ranking.)

But that is my experience as a contributor. Brian speaks officially and does a great job.

Thank you Brian! Now I gotta get that Toppi piece scanned for my fifth entry!

Hi all! Below are my entries for 2015. I was very happy with my pick ups for the year as I was able to add pieces from Arthur Adams, Adam Hughes and Terry Dodson, all of whom were goals for me. It's no surprise that most of my pieces are Game of Thrones based as that is one of my collection focuses (more specifically Daenerys Targaryen). 2015 did mark the year that I've started to add a few more pieces that are published and I do have one published cover piece entered (that also happens to be from the Game of Thrones comic run). I hope you all enjoy some of my humble offerings.

Game of Thrones Issue 17 Cover (Mile High Variant) by Lucio Parillo

An awesome oil painting from Lucio Parillo that features Daenerys Targaryen. I've wanted this one since I saw it and now that I have it I can honestly say it does not disappoint. There is some difference between this and the published cover, Lucio told me that he was asked to modify Daenerys' outfit and the dragon in Photoshop. I apologize for the picture because it doesn't do this piece any justice. This piece is approx 16" x 24" and I don't have a scanner big enough for it and I haven't been able to scan it in section yet to composite a better image. I hope to get a scan of this soon.

Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones) by Adam Hughes

I've wanted to get something from Adam for some time and had actually come to terms with the idea that it was probably not going to happen, but it was always worth dreaming about. Things just kind of fell into place and Allison offered me the opportunity to get something from Adam to pick up at NC Comicon, to say that I was lucky to have gotten this lined up would be an understatement. I am still stunned to have gotten this full figure, full color piece from Adam. Amazingly, Adam did this piece at the con (I watched him work at various stages on this as I find the process each artist goes through totally fascinating). The scan is a bit cut off on the right side as this piece was bigger than 11x17 and I had to composite a couple scans to get this image. Loved Adam going AH! on Daenerys, this one is simply amazing work and a beauty in person.

Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones) by Terry Dodson

Picked up at SDCC 2015. My main want at SDCC was to land a Dodson and I managed to succeed. I got my name on his list early and had to wait it out a couple of days to see if he picked my character, but the wait was well worth it. I love the way he worked the dress, it has a character of it's own.

Savage Land Rogue by Arthur Adams

HeroesCon 2015. Finally was able to get something from Arthur Adams and I couldn't be happier. I didn't know for sure that it was going to happen as I was a little bit down the list, but when I showed up Sunday morning at Arthur's table, this beauty was there waiting for me. This was a Father's Day treat to remember.

Game of Thrones Digital Art Print by Corbyn Kern

I decided to enter something a little bit different and also to showcase an artist that is not as well known. I struggled with where to put this, but figured the other category made the most sense since the "finished" product is the digital art print featuring some of the women from Game of Thrones. All the characters were done in pencil - the individual pencil pieces are shown here as well - before being scanned in for digital coloring and composition into the final digital image. All the pencils are owned by me as well and you can see those pieces in greater individual detail in my CAF gallery.

Not sure why people don't just post a direct link to their Lowry Gallery without feeling the need to post all items individually (or suppling images)? (shrug)

We'll investigate at the appropriate time.

:applause:

I don't get it either.

There's a red X next to my Lowry gallery and it says it's not active. I've clicked "active" when I uploaded the image...but I'm talking about the actual gallery. Any idea how to fix? Cheers.

You need to turn your Lowery gallery "on".

1. http://www.comicartfans.com/mainadmintools.asp

2. http://www.comicartfans.com/my/Galleries.asp

3. http://www.comicartfans.com/my/LowryDetail.asp

4. click Edit Description

:)

Just less than a day to choose your 5 best pieces and post them in the Lowry.

The yearly Best of is open to all, regular and premium members but I do encourage all who are not Premium Members to consider becoming one. There are alot of great features offered to Premium Members, the best for me is the daily emails and watched galleries. Can't say how many pieces I have acquired over the years thru those two services. Pays for the Premium membership.

Or if you just want to support Bill and CAF and all it has done for the comic art collecting. CAF does take donations.

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2015.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin.

Best of 2015 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Published Strip Art

Unpublished Convention Sketches

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 8th (early entries)

Posting Ends: Jan 17 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp

2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile

3) Select the "Comicart-L Member" option (you will need this option turned on to upload entries to the Lowry)

2) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences

3) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)

4) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New

Artwork' link.

5) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2015"

6) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it applies)

7) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Strip Art

Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

8) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 18th (Monday)

Voting end January 24th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

If there are any problems in uploading images please e-mail Bill (bill@cox-consulting.com) and any questions on artwork, categories or what can be uploaded please direct to me.

Thanks, vodou!

My best pickups of 2015 aren't yet in-hand, so I'll save those for the 2016 Lowry :)

Convention Sketch – Batman vs. Joker by Jae Lee: http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8326

Interior Page – Batman #2, page 14 by Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion: http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8288

Commission – Daredevil (1) by Chris Samnee: http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8328

Commission – Daredevil (2) by Chris Samnee: http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8329

Commission – TMNT by Chris Stevens: http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8327

Cheers!

Posted my picks for my Best of 2015 gallery on the first day it was open, but forgot to share them until now. Most of my picks this year were a bit more modest in terms of $$$ than my picks of the past few years, but I was no less pleased with adding them to my collection. My picks are never about what costs the most and/or are likely to receive the most votes, but the ones that, at the end of the year, I am still most pleased to have acquired. Sometimes, my enthusiasm for particular pieces wanes, but with all of these picks, I like them even more now than when I acquired them. Without further ado, here they are, in no particular order:

Valkyrie and the Lady Liberators commission by Allan Goldman.

This was my first commission of the year, and I think it turned out absolutely amazing. I've started a series of Valkyrie and the Lady Liberators faux cover commissions (sometimes with title, etc. sometimes not). Other than Valkyrie being the staple, I rotate the other characters in the commissions. This piece also features Gamora, Medusa, Squirrel Girl, and Water Snake. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=7854

New Warriors #1, page 15 by Marcus To, featuring first in story appearance of Water Snake (Faira Sar Namora)

And speaking of Water Snake (who most people probably aren't familiar with), she was a new character in the recent Marcus To pencilled New Warriors series, that I just really liked. I came across a page at the 2014 SaskExpo, but passed on it as I was running low on funds (2 Cons in 2 weeks), and had regretted it ever since. When I saw Marcus To at this year's show again, it was the first page I looked for in his portfolio. I had really expected it to be long gone, but was floored to find it still available. Immediately jumped on it. A week later, at the Edmonton Expo, I picked up 2 more pages from To, featuring her...heh.

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=7857

Deathstroke #4, page 17 by Tony Daniel, featuring Harley Quinn & Deathstroke

I have been a huge fan of Tony Daniel's since his X-Force and AoA Gambit and the X-Ternals work in the mids 90s. Followed him through pretty much everything he has done, and The Tenth is still one of my all-time favourite comics. I really enjoyed his Harley Quinn issues of Deathstroke, and I was able to pick up a couple of pieces from the series featuring her. It was a difficult choice between this page and The Scooter Page (Deathstroke riding on back of Harley's scooter), but eventually, the facial expressions on this page won out.

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=7855

Gamora by Adi Granov

This is another piece in my collection that I never would have attained without help from the online comic art collecting community. Huge fan of Granov's, and have picked up 2 pieces from him in person in the past, but last year, I wasn't going to be able to attend a show he would be at (probably not this year, either). A friend was attending the Emerald City Comic Con though, and I was able to set this up for pickup. Adi has never disappointed, and I absolutely love his rendition of Gamora. Now, I just need to get a Medusa from him next...lol.

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=7853

Nova #11, page 14, featuring Gamora and Drax, by Paul Pelletier

My final acquisition of the year! I'd been searching for a nice Paul Pelletier Gamora page for a while. When I inquired about this piece on a whim, and found out it was available, I immediately jumped on it. This page is from the Annihilation: Conquest event that lead to the formation of the modern Guardians of the Galaxy team. Hopefully, I'll have another Pelletier GotG page in next year's Best Of!

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=7856

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to checking out everybody else's entries for the year!

Erik Sveinson

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=78

Not a great year, but not a bad one; been able to score a Sandman panel page and a Frank Miller page, so I think I cannot complain.

Here are my entries:

1) Bryan Talbot - Sandman #30 pag 23 - panel page

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8065

2) Frank Miller - Lance Blastoff - panel page

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8066

3) Jill Thompson - INvisibles Vol 1 - half splash page

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8068

4) Sergio Toppi - Bab El Ahlam 1932 - published illo (other)

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8067

Hope you enojoy them and hope to get at least a vote or two!

Ciao!

Luca