• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the artists choice sale?

51 posts in this topic

There's been just about a half dozen updates since the last sale, last year, so in terms of new material, 2015 seemed like a slower than typical year. Hopefully maybe some of the discount %'s and names of artists participating changes.

I did find a lot of nice pieces last year, and some others I didn't buy which might still be available, so it's always fun to shop the website for second looks too.

And there is most often a LOT of pages listed that are already no longer available even before the sale starts.

Yeah, I visited the site recently in anticipation of the sale and noticed that all of the stuff I bought at the LAST sale is still listed on the site. I think last year it went live around 12/9? I guess I'll just keep checking periodically.

I really wish he would get someone to redesign his site. When I'm on it I feel like I'm on some kids MySpace page.

It's kinda the novelty of his site. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I really wish he would get someone to redesign his site. When I'm on it I feel like I'm on some kids MySpace page.

Yeah, it's a step above Chuck and 10 steps above Sulipa, but it's still ancient. One of my biggest art regrets is not buying a few things from Spencer 10 years ago.

Yeah, it's a step above Chuck and 10 steps above Sulipa, but it's still ancient. One of my biggest art regrets is not buying a few things from Spencer 10 years ago.

Yes, all the Quesada stuff comes to mind.

And there is most often a LOT of pages listed that are already no longer available even before the sale starts.

Yeah, I visited the site recently in anticipation of the sale and noticed that all of the stuff I bought at the LAST sale is still listed on the site. I think last year it went live around 12/9? I guess I'll just keep checking periodically.

Ugh, the piece of art that I tried buying 2 years in a row (and told it was sold both years) is still listed for sale.

Please, update your site Spencer!

Ugh, the piece of art that I tried buying 2 years in a row (and told it was sold both years) is still listed for sale.

err... why did you try to buy it the 2nd year?

Malvin

err... why did you try to buy it the 2nd year?

Malvin

I was hoping the sale didn't go through the previous year :(

(this was before I realized how rarely updates were actually made)

Not a fan of the website, never know when it is updated. It says updated, but that could have been 3 months ago. Still waiting for images to be attached. Surprised that it is not better maintained. I'm reluctant to purchase anything until I can see a photo and a price. I guess I have been spoiled by Anthony Snyder, Mike Burkey and Albert Moy.

Not a fan of the website, never know when it is updated. It says updated, but that could have been 3 months ago. Still waiting for images to be attached. Surprised that it is not better maintained. I'm reluctant to purchase anything until I can see a photo and a price. I guess I have been spoiled by Anthony Snyder, Mike Burkey and Albert Moy.

If those are things you crave, you should stop by my art gallery and buy some art from the ones I rep for. Anything posted is available and has a scan to it, you can always tell when something new has been added, and even better, there's currently a sale going on (which you can read about in the header of the front page). There are those of us out here, who know how to give you what you want. So, show us some support. :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3287

Spencer's site is definitely in need of an update but it gets the job done IMHO and when his sale goes up it is generally worth the time you will invest looking for deals. I have bought from his sale on multiple occasions and have been very glad I have in each instance. Great art trumps the clunky web site experience every time!

Spencer's site is definitely in need of an update but it gets the job done IMHO and when his sale goes up it is generally worth the time you will invest looking for deals. I have bought from his sale on multiple occasions and have been very glad I have in each instance. Great art trumps the clunky web site experience every time!

Agreed. I've been buying from Spencer for more than 10 years and while there are times when I definitely wish the art had been scanned in, or things were easier to search, the fact is that what he's doing must work for him (and his clients), so that's just how it is. I enjoy the annual dig through the site. I've got my list ready to go, I just hope the artists I want are discounted this year and the pieces are still there!

Well, the message just went up on the home page:

"NOTE: The Artist's Choice will be closed until Monday December 14, 2015"

I really think not updating his inventory does disservice to Spencer and his clients. Going through the website is so tiring that if something I picked is sold (and usually it turns out it sold a year or more before), I just don't have the strength to dive in again and pick something else, and instead I give up.

I know Spencer suggests listing alternatives, but I'm usually looking at the more expensive pages, and I figure our whether I want to buy a particular page or not, and not whether I'd consider buying it as a consolation prize.

Just my 2c .

I really think not updating his inventory does disservice to Spencer and his clients. Going through the website is so tiring that if something I picked is sold (and usually it turns out it sold a year or more before), I just don't have the strength to dive in again and pick something else, and instead I give up.

I know Spencer suggests listing alternatives, but I'm usually looking at the more expensive pages, and I figure our whether I want to buy a particular page or not, and not whether I'd consider buying it as a consolation prize.

Just my 2c .

I agree...keeping inventory is just part of doing business, not some extra high standard people are asking for without reason.