• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vorpal's Hall of Armor and Mysticism

17 posts in this topic

A long-time geek's journey into the world of comic collecting!

Here's a repost of my introduction thread:

Hi all, I just started getting into comics (at age 37!) but have always been a nerd/geek (Star Wars, D&D, computer games, Magic: The Gathering cards, etc.) and have bought random copies here and there over the years, whenever a title/cover struck my interest. My son has been into superhero characters for a few years now, and we were leafing through the comics bin at Half Price books a few months back when I stumbled upon the awesome Michael Golden cover on Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55. I knew nothing about it except that I loved the cover. I quickly looked up the issue on my phone and read that many consider it to be one of the best-written DS stories, so I picked up for a whole $1 (condition issues). I ended up enjoying it, and recently decided to start picking up some other DS issues -- I'm really drawn to the Frank Brunner pieces in vol. 2. Then I read that a movie is coming out next year, and decided to accelerate my purchases of some of my favorite covers before they become too much more expensive. I should be posting up some raw Doc Strange goodness in the next week or so!

So obviously I've gotten into Doctor Strange, but (like a lot of people) I have also re-acquainted myself with Iron Man after thoroughly enjoying the movies. Being an engineer, I identify with Tony Stark and his endless tinkering with armor designs. Because of my affinity for the character and his technology, I've decided to focus on the following Iron Man comics:

1. Tales of Suspense 39-58 (i.e. ToS Iron Man solo titles); and

2. 1st appearances of each major Iron Man armor. For issues where the cover does not show the armor, or where its appearance is obscured or otherwise poor, I'll also collect a cover that depicts it nicely. My goal is to have my very own "hall of armor" in my home office :) At this point I don't plan on extending to armors after the 1968 Invincible Iron Man run.

See more journals by WinstonW

All right, time to start adding some content here. Despite this being my personal hall of armor and mysticism (more on that later), this first post will be more on the creepy-horror side of things. My local Bedrock City (Houston LCS chain) had their holiday party last night, and it was awesome! Great snacks and food, cool raffle items every 15 minutes, and great sale prices -- especially on back issues (50% off!). I've been to this store about half a dozen times over the last month, so there really wasn't much "wheelhouse" material left for me -- I'd already picked up all of the Iron Man and Doctor Strange back issues that I cared for (or so I thought... more on that in a different post), so I just started scouring the silver/bronze age section for cool covers. My wife and I ended up with the following issues between us:

23298350129_d2d2829e89_b.jpg

I absolutely love the Witching Hour cover -- some Neal Adams greatness, this is. I just finished reading it, and now it's going on my wall :) I couldn't pass up the Weird War Tales for $1.50, so that came home with me, too.

These next two are my wife's pickups:

23370617880_5739f977bb_b.jpg

Apparently she has an eye for Neal Adams, too. Great cover.

She's also been digging DC's Strange Adventures series, and decided to get this one:

23666297305_81f91ee41c_b.jpg

The kiddo has been really intrigued by ROM lately, so we picked up a couple issues of that as well as a couple of Iron Man issues that I'll discuss when I go into my whole collecting angle for the armored avenger.

Oh, and the Mini Me was also the lucky winner of one of the kids' raffle items:

23596058981_a312f6dd5c_k.jpg

Until next time!

Sweet pick ups! Your luck to have a wife who has an eye for Neal Adams covers.

I'm excited for your upcoming entries in this hall of armor and mysticism!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Brandon! Without further ado, a new entry:

As promised, it's time for some Iron Man goodness. Iron Man has been around a long time, in various forms... lots of time for me to be exposed to the character. I wish I could say that I developed my love of Iron Man from something other than the movies, but they were definitely the catalyst. Between Downey Jr.'s "charismatic jerk" personality and the amazing suits, I loved the character from the first moment I saw him. That's not to say I didn't know who Iron Man was before the movies -- that's certainly not true. I browsed the comic racks as a kid, and invariably perused an Iron Man comic here or there while I waited for my mom to finish her grocery shopping. Our local Diamond supermarket had, in retrospect, an amazing array of comics on the shelves with the magazines. I can recall being drawn to the memorable "Silver Centurion" suit (Model 8)...

23768073582_d1ed28d1f1_b.jpg

As a kid, it really caught my eye!

But the Model 8 is a post for another day. We will get there eventually. Let's rewind 20 some-odd years prior the debut of the Silver Centurion model, to Tales of Suspense #53. This is a cover I absolutely adore, and I own a copy thanks to fellow board member crassus:

23792573681_5246efb439_b.jpg

Everything about this cover is "right" in my mind. The Black Widow is fabulous in her black dress, mink, veil, and heels, and the little lightning bolts coming from her hands are charmingly understated.

23848976296_74f39bd8c7_b.jpg

The cover also shows a clear (if not entirely accurate) depiction of the "horned" version of Iron Man's mask. I love the detailed linework on the tanks, too. It's also notable that the origin of the Watcher is given in a back-up story.

The premise of the story is that Tony Stark "invents" a device that emits anti-gravity rays, the Black Widow steals it, and Iron Man battles her and destroys the device. It's really an interesting story to read, with its cold war-fueled plot, casual sexism, and jam-packed dialogue boxes. A few panels I found humorous:

23248262093_32070e14b8_b.jpg

And

23248263503_b8a010d1e2_b.jpg

All-in-all, I think that this is a great issue -- mainly for the Black Widow. She pretty much steals the show. If you're a fan of hers, this is definitely worth owning. It's also the first entry into one of my collecting veins: Tales of Suspense #39-#58. A run that I'll be working at for a long time, no doubt.

Collecting ToS #39-#58 is probably enough to justify the "Hall of Armor" moniker in my journal title, but I'm actually being slightly more literal with it. The second set of Iron Man titles I'm collecting is the first appearance (and in some cases, first cover) of each Iron Man armor model through the end of the 1968 Invincible Iron Man run. For those that don't have the issue numbers memorized, this is the list that my research (mostly on the Marvel wiki) has produced:

Model 1 - ToS 39

Model 1 Mk.2 - ToS 40 (gold armor)

Model 1 Mk.? - IM 191 ("retro" armor)

Model 2 Mk.1- ToS 48 (1st red and gold, "horned" faceplate)

Model 2 Mk.1A - ToS 54 (riveted faceplate)

Model 3 - IM 68 (infamous "nose" faceplate)

Model 4 - IM 85 (return to noseless faceplate)

Model 5 - IM 142 (Mk1 Space armor)

Model 6 - IM 218 (Hydro Armor)

Model 7 Mk.1 - IM 152 (Mk1 Stealth armor)

Model 7 Mk.2 - IM 229 (Mk2 Stealth armor)

Model 8 - IM 200 ("Silver Centurion")

Model 9 - IM 231 (Neo-classic armor)

Model 9 Mk.2? - IM 280 (Telepresence armor)

Model 10 - IM 278 (Mk2 Space armor)

Model 11 - IM 281 (War Machine armor)

Model 12 - IM 290 (NTU-150 Telepresence armor)

Model 13 - IM 300 (Modular armor)

Model 13 variant - IM 304 (Hulkbuster armor)

Model 14 - IM 318 (Arctic armor)

Model 15 - IM 319 (Crossing armor)

I don't pretend that this is the definitive list, just what I've been able to cobble together using the various resources on the internet. There are probably errors. Iron Man gurus, please feel free to comment! I plan to go into each of the armor issues in-depth in future posts (eventually, as the mood strikes me). Since most of the above issues are inexpensive, I've gone ahead picked up most of them. These are the issues I don't yet have, as of today:

Model 1 - ToS 39

Model 3 - ToS 66 ("nose" faceplate)

Model 7 Mk.1 - IM 152 (Mk1 Stealth armor) - looking for a *really nice* one because I love the cover, and it's cheap enough for me to be picky

And now for something slightly different...

I've never cosplayed at a convention before. Hell, I've only ever been to one convention - Houston Comicpalooza, this past summer. My wife, son, and I have decided to go all-out for Comicpalooza in 2016. She's going as Jem, he's going as ROM (I think... last week it was Jace Beleren from Magic: The Gathering). I had been planning on going as the Model 1 Iron Man. However, lately I've been getting fired up about the Silver Centurion armor (Model 8), and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm sticking with. I'm on vacation this week (and most of next), so I popped into the garage this morning, drug out the posterboard, and whipped up this sucker:

23595374380_a61125fe42_b.jpg

23891097945_1ec964cd47_b.jpg

I'm pretty happy how this turned out, especially for something that I free-handed and made in less than 30 minutes! I love metalworking, so there's a good chance that this will be the model for a thin-gauge steel version.

Just got back from seeing The Force Awakens with my wife and son on his birthday!

Seeing everyone back in action brought a tear to my eye! I was grinning like a fool at the first glimpse of the Falcon... then Han & Chewie, Leia, R2, Threepio, and finally, Luke. Wow! Also, Rey is a badass!

Just got back from seeing The Force Awakens with my wife and son on his birthday!

Seeing everyone back in action brought a tear to my eye! I was grinning like a fool at the first glimpse of the Falcon... then Han & Chewie, Leia, R2, Threepio, and finally, Luke. Wow! Also, Rey is a badass!

I do like your taste in books (thumbs u And good luck with the cosplay - would love to see your final costumes.

I've not had time to see it yet, but will go and see SW The Force Awakens this evening - I've been disappointed more than a few times before, so I'll try to expect nothing :) (although my wife and I did just watch the last episode of Big Bang Theory which did seem like a long commercial for the movie - and of course I've noticed several very positive reviews - but I'll still try to keep an open mind :angel: )

Maybe my sons should watch the first 6 movies during the Christmas season :idea:

I do like your taste in books (thumbs u And good luck with the cosplay - would love to see your final costumes.

I've not had time to see it yet, but will go and see SW The Force Awakens this evening - I've been disappointed more than a few times before, so I'll try to expect nothing :) (although my wife and I did just watch the last episode of Big Bang Theory which did seem like a long commercial for the movie - and of course I've noticed several very positive reviews - but I'll still try to keep an open mind :angel: )

Maybe my sons should watch the first 6 movies during the Christmas season :idea:

Thanks, and have fun at the movie! I think you'll like it!

I bit the bullet and started on the steel Iron Man mask. This may end up as a display piece, since it's pretty heavy even with it being made out pretty thin steel (18 gauge IIRC... maybe 20?)

23823739572_b89e4d3ddc_b.jpg

23564154189_b6b28ef825_b.jpg

23932004945_5fb7a15b67_b.jpg

23849529211_3d244ce871_b.jpg

23849527561_a3c1e118a4_b.jpg

Some final shaping and cutting/grinding to do, and it will be done!

Thanks, guys! I'm pretty proud of it, and it's not even done :)

I received *amazing* gifts from my wife and son.

23336257894_c944817b31_b.jpg

23881977171_96a02659c8_b.jpg

My kiddo contributed a chunk of his own birthday/Christmas money to help get that ToS 40 for me. :cloud9:

Now this is a journal thread! Great updates, I like your style. Merry Christmas!

Thanks, Brandon. I'll try and mix up the content in here, and keep it interesting. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Looks like I get to knock two books off of the list:

Model 1 - ToS 39

Model 3 - IM 68 ("nose" faceplate)

Model 7 Mk.1 - IM 152 (Mk1 Stealth armor) - looking for a *really nice* one because I love the cover, and it's cheap enough for me to be picky

Exciting!

I'm working on a large journal entry in honor of the ToS 40 that I received as a Christmas gift (still over the moon!), but in the meantime I thought I'd quickly share a fun surprise that came in the mail today.

I really like this cover, so when a cheap copy in decent condition popped up on eBay, I pulled the trigger:

24056332755_b0701a1f1d_b.jpg

I opened up the cover and was greeted by a nice surprise!

23428962464_fb110f3df5_b.jpg

24030217046_992e5b030d_b.jpg

Cool, my first signature! - Almost assuredly authentic even though it will never be officially declared as such. Really excited to have a Bob Layton-signed book :grin:

Model 1 Mk. 2: Gold armor (Tales of Suspense 40, April 1963)

As previously mentioned, I was lucky enough to receive this raw copy of Tales of Suspense 40 from my wife and son for Christmas (he paid a chunk of his own money toward it :cloud9:):

23683999709_51e76ec674_b.jpg

It presents very well, but I'll be upfront in saying that the cover has had extensive restoration. Due to the quality of the color touch, I'd say this may once have been considered professional restoration but would now be considered amateur due to bleed-through.

23458844074_d67cd61b67.jpg

24087246145_0d71b7f6ae.jpg

It also has pieces added (comic code and 12 cents corners) and tear seals. It still needs work on the staples and the paper in that area, as they are basically pulled through and are rusty to boot.

Having a restored comic is fine by me, especially one that would be expensive as an unrestored mid-grade copy. I'm new to the comic hobby, so I don't have the biases that currently keep restored comic prices seriously depressed. In the art world, professional restoration adds value to artwork. Same with classic cars. I don't see why comics should be any different. Of course, an Apparent 8.0 (restored (P)) should not be worth what a universal 8.0 is worth. However, a 1.0 professionally restored to an 8.0 should be worth significantly more than the 1.0 it once was -- especially in this age of "cover is everything." But I digress... back to the issue itself.

In this issue we see the premiere of the gold Model 1 Mk. 2 armor. It comes after he realizes that his armor frightens those he's trying to protect:

23425285403_6e72f394c1_b.jpg

The splash page is really fun, but I have to admit that I have no idea what is supposed to be coming from Iron Man's hand -- he doesn't have repulsors yet.

24087315395_bbf32d27fb_b.jpg

However, the suit does have a few gadgets and features. It's already collapsible:

24052060785_c372c76502_b.jpg

And it has the ability to deliver electrical shocks to attackers that touch it:

23684228839_a25043d734_b.jpg

But, as previously mentioned, it's scary:

24052061165_1046d72613_b.jpg

So Tony takes a cue from his lady-friend and gives the suit a new paint job:

24056729975_c28c9c47ab_b.jpg

23756392560_300e20cc72_b.jpg

It's interesting to note that Stan Lee and crew probably think that they're being complimentary to women with dialogue like that, instead of realizing that it's sexist.

Other gadgets that the suit has at this point in time include a hand drill capable of tunneling through rock:

23969501061_cd551b69e9_b.jpg

24025970316_07d8f163e3_b.jpg

A loudspeaker system:

23423847414_f90532ff9c_b.jpg

Air pressure jump jets and palm-mounted suction cups:

23756396390_f9aa952e44_b.jpg

Transistor-powered magnets (stored in a belt pouch... not technically part of the suit):

23969505961_68c3e6d1ec_b.jpg

And, of course, the chest-mounted spotlight. I love that it's just a spotlight :)

23943913412_713f37ae59_b.jpg

That about wraps it up. It's a really cool issue that showcases a lot of the suit's technology and marks a significant point in the history of the character. Iron Man would go on to wear some version of this suit in issue 1 of The Avengers, garnering him the nickname "the Golden Avenger."

Just remember, kids, Tony Stark puts his (iron) pants on one leg at a time:

23943906062_5f06b28af9_b.jpg

What a lovely journal – I just love the gifts and the fact your son contributed to the Tales of Suspense #40. :applause:

I am a big Dr. Strange fan too, great to hear of your appreciation of it. I haven’t been reading it in ages, but recently worked to complete my Dr. Strange run (I am still missing a number of the early issues).

"The Monaco Prelude" is part of an arc of great stories, I have read them when they came out in Italy around 1979-1980, Michelinie/Layton at their best. :)