• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay slabs etiquette question (and general person_without_enough_empathy)

14 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to this whole process, but I wanted to ask if you guys think there is a general rule of thumb when coming across really stupidly priced slabs on eBay.

Here are some examples, all from the same person:

Infinity #4 Ryan Stegman variant - CGC 9.8 - $850

Infinity #3 Bianchi Variant - CGC 9.8 - $898

Action Comics #1 Sketch Variant - CGC 9.6 - $1,900

At first I was considering emailing him to let him know that he is just wasting his time and to check previous auction prices, but I decided against it.

Yes, I realize I am being a bit person_without_enough_empathyy, but but his items keep coming up in my search results and eBay alerts and it's annoying.

Curious if any of you have good suggestions for dealing with these kinds of people.

Thanks!

:gossip: not being a jerk, but move on and look elsewhere. Ebay hasn't been the place for great deals like the early years; perhaps once in a while you can still snag a nice book for fair price. Overpriced books are in abundance with sellers trying, some with success, pushing GPA and certain keys to astronomical heights. Just search any key and you'll see the start/ask well above the highest GPA. It's frustrating indeed, but the nature of the beast, so to speak... and that sir is my two pennies. :preach:

What happens is, especially for those books, the seller can just sit on them for as long as he wants. If eight months down the road, someone dumb enough to fall for those prices buys one, then it is well worth it to the seller. And eventually that will probably happen. The seller doesn't care what the value is…he's not trying to sell to someone "in the know"…he is trying to sell to a straight up mo-ron!

Personally, I jack up the price to some ridiculous, in the stratosphere price hoping to find a sucker. Usually what happens is I get absurd, lower than a snake's belly offers.

;)

Trick is to jack up six to eight copies to 500% GPA, then list one for 200% GPA. Suckers think they found a bargain.

With sky high BIN listings I assume these are "white whale" listings.

Someone has a book that they'd sell, but only for a ridiculously over market amount.

It costs them nothing to list it, so there it sits month after month... cluttering up my searches.

They dont care what the market is... it's a waste of your time to try and help/educate them

Option 1: edit your search to filter the sellers items and move on. Spin again.

Option 2: message the seller politely with your best ebay and/or off-ebay direct transaction offer no matter how far below their absurdly high price. If he doesn't respond or his counter is still too high see option 1. If he makes a reasonable counter or agrees, move straight to the Winners space.

Option 3: Why the hell are you even considering option 3! There is no option 3 go back 3 spaces and start again.

Personally, I jack up the price to some ridiculous, in the stratosphere price hoping to find a sucker. Usually what happens is I get absurd, lower than a snake's belly offers.

;)

Trick is to jack up six to eight copies to 500% GPA, then list one for 200% GPA. Suckers think they found a bargain.

Excellent market strategy!

(thumbs u