• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a key, but wow is that cover ugly!
1 1

165 posts in this topic

I have a love/hate with X-Men #1

I love X-Men and it is an iconic cover…it's just a stupid one…why does Angel have a bazooka? What is Beast swinging off of? How is Magneto's powers blocking Cyclops' laser vision? And WTF is Jean doing in the background?

Hey ............. why does Angel have a bazooka ?

Thats an excellent question hm

I thought the Angel was carrying a metal thingy that he was going to throw at Magneto. like a piece of metal from a construction site.

I've always loved those 'don't make sense' covers with weird SA props in them. Thor #89 is another, with that sparse skyline in the background.

I always attributed them to a simpler time, where big city skylines weren't established, areas were less populated and artists were trying to capture the imagination of the children.

Of course there should be a metal swingy thing in the middle of nowhere for Beast to swing on. How else was he going to be effective against Magneto????

These weren't books for Harvard grads at this point, folks.

Thread for key issues, that we would all love to own, but think the cover is awful. Post the picture if you got them.

I don't have the book but this has always impressed me as the ugliest key cover of them all.

Marvel_Comics_zpstb9urzhc.jpg

Blasphemy nay sayer! :o This thread should be devoted to all those many DC covers that make us wince.

How about the first appearance of Darkseid or Martian Manhunter? Very lame and bears no resemblance to these characters. Classic DC IMO.

shhh, when you talk about Darkseid his ears burn.

Thread for key issues, that we would all love to own, but think the cover is awful. Post the picture if you got them.

I don't have the book but this has always impressed me as the ugliest key cover of them all.

Marvel_Comics_zpstb9urzhc.jpg

I deeply apologize but I stand by my assertion that this is the ugliest key of them all. The torch doesn't even have a real shape - just an orange blob. This is weird because he is much more defined in the interior art and in successive issues (even #2). And trying to figure out exactly what was going on occupied me for some time when I first saw this cover decades ago. Was it underwater? Was it out of the water? Were those white plumes of smoke or underwater lines? Was that flame looking white just below Torch's foot supposed to be white or, since it looks like flame, was it supposed to be colored orange to imply the very wood floor (deck?) was on fire?

And who on earth dressed Horton???.

ST #110 - don't know if it qualifies as ugly but it's lacking a key ingredient

I know this is sacrilegious but I've always been underwhelmed by Ditko covers. They always lacked an 'oomph' of some sort.

He was a great storyteller though.

Come on Man ASM 3 kick raw booty!

More Fun #101. You never guess that Superboy 1st appearance. Clearly even DC thought that the character was lame as they didn't even bother to showcase their new hero.

DC didn't think putting Superman or Batman on the covers of the early Justice leagues was a god idea. Everyone knows covers with less popular characters sell better than using popular figures. :frustrated:

ST #110 - don't know if it qualifies as ugly but it's lacking a key ingredient

I know this is sacrilegious but I've always been underwhelmed by Ditko covers. They always lacked an 'oomph' of some sort.

He was a great storyteller though.

I am a very big fan of Ditko the artist and storyteller. He should be studied by all comic book artists.

But I too have felt that covers were not his strong point. Great anatomy and perspective but he didn't seem to have much interest in rendering backgrounds. (shrug)

I only have a beat up childhood copy but this issue might a notable exception to his indifference to background. :grin:

ASM24FMay65.jpg

p.s.

It might have been interesting if Ditko had done a Doctor Strange cover to #110.