• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

What you consider "silliness" and "mild amusement", I consider derogatory and unnecessarily confrontational, considering the history of our interactions. If it's not that big a deal to you in the first place, and I openly tell you that it IS a big deal to me, what's the harm in refraining from such comments going forward?

This does kind of go against comments you've made before about comments on the Internet should not be taken to heart especially when intent was not especially confrontational.

No, that's not what I've said at all. Without being unnecessarily confrontational, that is not even remotely what I've said on these boards, ever. And if you've not understood that, what else is there about me and what I've said that you have mistaken?

Here's what I have always said: comments on the internet should not be taken to heart when they are not personal..

That is, "I think comic fans are all nerds who live in their mothers' basements!"

See? Impersonal. Nothing to do with you, or anyone in particular. No reason for anyone to be personally offended, though many are, and they internalize it, and respond with "yeah? Well, you're an idjit!!" and off to the races we go.

That's completely, unequivocally, totally different from me saying "I think you, (insert name of specific person here), are a loser and a maroon, who can't tell the difference between a pile of poop and his own brain."

THAT is personal. Specific, personal, aimed directly at someone in particular.

That is the difference, and has always been the difference, and something I have consistently maintained for 10+ years on this board.

Conversely, I have never, ever said that people shouldn't take things personally that ARE personal, and, in fact, have chastised people who did that to others without good cause.

So...is this misperception that you have of me based on what you think I've said, as opposed to what I've really said, or is it based on what others have said about me, or some combination thereof, or something else entirely?

In other words...have you ever given me the benefit of the doubt?

I don't think so. I'd like to be wrong.

Do I deserve the benefit of the doubt? Maybe. I like to think everyone does, at some point.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or interest to go looking for such posts. You've also seriously offended me many times in our board history though apparently without intention to do so.

That depends on the context of how and why you were offended. Was it because I said something to or about you personally, in which case, you might have a legitimate claim, or is it because I said something about a topic that you found offensive, in which case, you would not?

Let's be open, here: you don't like me, you've never liked me, and I don't think you have ever, in our entire time on these boards together, posted anything about or to me that was positive in any way.

That's not a complaint, and I'm not whining. I know very well that I'm not an easy person to get along with, and I know that people don't like what I have to say, and the way I have to say it. I make no apologies for that, but I do understand why it rubs people the wrong way, whether they have a right to be offended or not (and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.)

Knowing what I've said above...that I have never had, to my knowledge, a single positive interaction with you on these boards...please help me understand why any comment you make to or about me would be taken as "light hearted" and "humour/nostalgia", instead of a shot across the bow?

Knowing these things, would you take it that way if I said it about you?

If Park, or Jeffro, or Chuck had said it, I would have bowed, posted the :acclaim: smiley, and had a good laugh...because I know..or, at least, believe...that these guys, and others, are my friends, that they can legitimately criticize me for my loud mouth publicly, but ultimately, I know that they care and are doing it not to shame or humiliate me.

Can the same be said for you?

No, I don't believe so at all.

However, my original comment was intended as more of a humour/nostalgia thing since I don't spend the time here that I used to. Sort of along the lines of your old "everyone hates RMA" custom title that you used to have. (If I've misquoted your old title, that is not deliberate. Just down to faulty memory).

As I've said elsewhere, it's one thing to be self-deprecating. It's another to just be deprecating.

There's a difference. If I say it, tongue-in-cheek, it's one thing. If someone who has an issue with me says it...it's just straightforward, innit?

I'm glad you didn't mean it to be offensive. However, it was, and it is, not because of what you said, but because of you, and me, and the history of our interaction.

Anyway, I'm sure that we could do a pointless back and forth about his forever but I've no particular desire to. I just wanted to clarify my intent or lack of it. Happy New Year.

On the contrary...this could be a very, very valuable interaction, for both of us, if it means we can see past the animosity which has poisoned us, and others, over the years.

If you have specific examples of things that I have said to and about you, personally, which you found offensive, I'd certainly like the opportunity to discuss it, and apologize if and where necessary.