• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

I do not believe the story. I do not think someone who spends thousands on a pedigree book simply hands them out like Candy to people who do not understand the hobby. This is also unhealthy for the hobby...

Why do you characterize an uncle giving his deceased brother's daughter, his niece, whom he walked down the aisle, this book featuring the first appearance of his deceased brother's favorite character as "handing (it) out like Candy (sic)"...?

"Giving (something) out like candy" means "giving something freely away without thought to who or why."

Does that accurately characterize this situation?

Some people are utterly incapable of seeing separate realities.

So you couldn't sell a comic then give the person the money? Makes sense...

I don't want to argue. I personally do not care. I have been collecting and buying expensive comics for a long time. I don't need a lecture on the hobby.

It's pretty clear you do care. Otherwise, you never would have posted in the thread (shrug)

I do not believe the story. I do not think someone who spends thousands on a pedigree book simply hands them out like Candy to people who do not understand the hobby. This is also unhealthy for the hobby...

Why do you characterize an uncle giving his deceased brother's daughter, his niece, whom he walked down the aisle, this book featuring the first appearance of his deceased brother's favorite character as "handing (it) out like Candy (sic)"...?

"Giving (something) out like candy" means "giving something freely away without thought to who or why."

I don't want to argue. I personally do not care. I have been collecting and buying expensive comics for a long time. I don't need a lecture on the hobby.

It's pretty clear you do care. Otherwise, you never would have posted in the thread (shrug)

..... you're complicating things with reality again, jeffro........ these are the CGC Boards, a "pink cloud" sanctuary where all is good in the world..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... you're complicating things with reality again, jeffro........ these are the CGC Boards, a "pink cloud" sanctuary where all is good in the world..... GOD BLESS...

Pink clouds... :cloud9:

I read like 12 pages of this thread and it's unreal.

I don't see why it's far fetched that Meg's uncle purchased a comic for 3-4k, that is now 8-9k, and he feels it will increase more so he gives it to his niece instead of selling it/giving cash. Heck, couple the stance of it increasing in the future with the sentimental value of the character to him personally....giving the book as a gift is a no brainer.

I'll assume everyone who is butthurt is an only child.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas :foryou:

I read like 12 pages of this thread and it's unreal.

I don't see why it's far fetched that Meg's uncle purchased a comic for 3-4k, that is now 8-9k, and he feels it will increase more so he gives it to his niece instead of selling it/giving cash. Heck, couple the stance of it increasing in the future with the sentimental value of the character to him personally....giving the book as a gift is a no brainer.

I'll assume everyone who is butthurt is an only child.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas :foryou:

Megan "seems" like an astute and interesting individual who might get a kick out of such an odd gift...... and the sentimental element is definitely there.... and may also contain a touch of coping/closure on the Uncle's part in regards to the loss of his brother. GOD BLESS...

Thankfully nobody in this thread is a judge in real life...are they?

Nobody? I'd have no problem being judged by Jeffro, Chuck, Caira, or a few others...I would even accept it from you (not that I have a problem with your judgment, but I would want the opportunity to hash it out with you, first.) Hell, I'd even trust Tranny to exercise fair judgment.

There are a good handful of people on this board who are sober, responsible, judicious, and able to separate emotion from reason. Only a handful, but it's a good handful. And there are some on this board who pretend to be those things, but aren't. And there are people who don't pretend at all.

Nobody? I'd have no problem being judged by Jeffro, Chuck, Caira, or a few others...I would even accept it from you (not that I have a problem with your judgment, but I would want the opportunity to hash it out with you, first.) Hell, I'd even trust Tranny to exercise fair judgment.

Hmmmm, I don't see Architect among your list of names....

(shrug)

There are a good handful of people on this board who are sober, responsible, judicious, and able to separate emotion from reason. Only a handful, but it's a good handful. And there are some on this board who pretend to be those things, but aren't. And there are people who don't pretend at all.

And hopefully you don't pretend to be able to determine which posters fall into the first category as opposed to the second. How does that saying go again? "Judge not lest ye be judged", isn't it?

(tsk)

(shrug)

And?

And hopefully you don't pretend to be able to determine which posters fall into the first category as opposed to the second. How does that saying go again? "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

(tsk)

Which, of course, is commonly misunderstood, and the second part is usually ignored:

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

We judge every single day, all the time. The proscription isn't against judgment...it's against hypocrisy. Not judging someone for the things you that you also do. Those who run around saying "don't judge, don't judge!" don't want to be called to account. It's as simple as that. If I need judgment and correction, by all means, let me receive it, and gladly. Having Truth is infinitely superior to "being right."

Obviously, it is self-evident by my statement that I do "pretend" to know which posters fall into the first category, and which into the second, and the third, (for the most part) or I wouldn't have said what I said. And note...the statement was about judging me, though I would trust those gentlemen, among others, with other matters, as well.

I think I've largely got most of the data I need for now. There are still some things I'm fuzzy on, but if at this point nobody has spoken up with that information, it seems unlikely I'll be able to obtain it. To those who were helpful to me (Peter, Minisink, W16, Rob React, Crimebuster, Mark1, TheDude, Lazyboy, anyone else I might have missed), I genuinely thank you. It's been enlightening, and I doubt I would have been able to figure out things like a fair present value without your aid. You've been immensely helpful.

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

I will, however, in passing point out that the name of this forum is "Silver Comics", and I just wanted to make sure I had chosen the right forum (I thought there was an outside chance it might be a "Copper" book), so sorry I didn't know I had to call it "Silver age comics" instead. If you're that particular, perhaps petition to have the forum name changed. And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image, but for as unintuitive you think this board is, it's a breeze compared to BoardGameGeek. Spend some time over on BGG and you'll learn what lack of intuitive controls are. And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Paul - I don't know the story of how my uncle came to have it, or even when he came into this book. I'm planning on making a point to ask him when I see him on Christmas. Perhaps I'll message you directly once I know the tale and tell you. I do know he's an huge collector of this stuff (he built a giant panic room section onto his house that he keeps all this stuff tucked away in, and my dad used to say his collection was worth a large fortune), so it's entirely possible he's going to see this thread if my experience here was not typical, because he does not suffer fools gladly and I doubt he'd tolerate some of the more vocal attitudes I experienced if it's the norm. Hopefully he looks at it with bemusement.

Anyhow, this all has given me a lot to think about. I don't need the money, and his card (I think) intimated that he thinks that in time it'll be more valuable if I'm patient, so I might just put it in a safe deposit box and wait and see. He's crazy brilliant, worth trusting the opinion of. And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Welcome to the boards, Megan. If you don't need the money, I'd certainly want to keep it as a remembrance of a special event. It will be there if you do need to sell it later, which will hopefully not happen.

I'm happy to see another female post, we have so few.

I'm a little surprised to see you use the term "vig" unless you are a little older than we are guessing, or from Bklyn;) In any case, that's a sweet present and obviously a thoughtful one.

I would have loved a gift like that, much more meaningful than all of the candlesticks and crock-pots;)

:applause:

^^

:baiting: some could learn from this post. You gather more bees with honey...

But I'm afraid of bees! :o

I have no idea if the OP's legit, but I love the user name Megantron. I hope she sticks around for that reason alone.

You know what I meant. Making rash judgements based on limited or inconclusive evidence. Just pointing it out for anyone that might have missed it.

You know what I meant. Making rash judgements based on limited or inconclusive evidence. Just pointing it out for anyone that might have missed it.

I hardly think that this thread deals with any subject that might elicit rash judgements. Casual and perhaps not firmly founded opinions/speculations, yes; rash judgements, no.

(shrug)

(shrug)

And?

The omission is strange since he is indeed the head judge on this forum, is he not?

And hopefully you don't pretend to be able to determine which posters fall into the first category as opposed to the second. How does that saying go again? "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

(tsk)

Which, of course, is commonly misunderstood, and the second part is usually ignored:

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Not surprising. The longer passage is less pithy and thus less likely to be quoted.

We judge every single day, all the time. The proscription isn't against judgment...it's against hypocrisy. Not judging someone for the things you that you also do. Those who run around saying "don't judge, don't judge!" don't want to be called to account. It's as simple as that.

Hmmmmm, now that's a sweeping generalization for which there should be counter-examples aplenty. Would not those saying "Don't judge another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" be among those counter-examples?

And incidentally, which posters in this thread might be guilty of "hypocrisy" and precisely how?

Having Truth is infinitely superior to "being right."

While I'm reluctant to get too deeply into epistemology in this thread, I'm wondering how a person can be right without also being privy to the truth.

???

But there IS something about the original post that does not sit comfortably for me. It feels like great pains were taken to sound totally uninformed about comics and about CGC. Yet the key points were somehow hit on, but in a way that attempted to sound ignorant of their import. Also the use of the word "thing", overly repeated, factors in here. Using "thing" in the context used here is very odd and furthers the feeling the OP is trying to sound uninformed. I cite:

"I see other comics that look like this one, but their number in the upper left hand side is way lower."

Perhaps the least offensive but adds to the overall impact. Later in the same post this is now referred to as "graded number".

there are apparently only 9 of these in the world, and he's seen them all and this one is the overall best of them

Does the uncle works for CGC or are all of the 9.8s consolidated in one place? May be possible but again just adds to the off kilter feel.

Three very odd uses of the word "thing":

thing in the middle of the label that says white pages

graded number thing in the upper left is 9.8.

It's also got the words "Twin Cities" in italics next to the hologram thing.

Why the inclusion of "thing" here? Again, it sounds like an attempt to sound uninformed.

At this point I am not disputing the OP has the book. I am questioning the presentation of being that uninformed.

All good points!

I think a lot of us were implicitly assuming that the uncle viewed scans of the other eight but that's not exactly the same as actually looking at the comics. And of course finding scans of these others presupposes that they were all listed on some public sales site which is another very big and likely inaccurate assumption.

All in all Megantron just seems to be talking her copy of this comic up, but to what end? To elicit a premium bid perhaps from another board participant to avoid paying the "vig" i.e. commission?

(shrug)

Thank you for the helpful replies. To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight. You guys have information that I don't, and I'd like to acquire it is all. Try being nice.

OK, so it's one character in the book, not 2 like I thought. When I type Adam Warlock instead of just Warlock, I get all sorts of data points. So this character is going to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and fight the purple dude that everybody keeps betraying in all the other Marvel movies? If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then? Cause right now, it's just maybe he'll be in movies, yes? Reading some of the sites about Adam Warlock, he seems like kind of a big deal to your hobby.

Somebody said the Twin Cities thing made it more valuable than the other books like it. How much more? And what's the premium, if any, for this one apparently being the nicest copy in all the world? And, should I eventually decide to sell it, who should I give it to to handle the auction? This doesn't seem like something I should just throw on eBay or try to handle myself, because I just don't know enough about it. So no, I'm not trying to sell it to you guys. All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

JGEq1g8.jpg

TQIDoJy.jpg

This paper with user name and date look like it's photoshopped. Anyone make an offer and buy this fake book yet? :tonofbricks:

I think I've largely got most of the data I need for now. There are still some things I'm fuzzy on, but if at this point nobody has spoken up with that information, it seems unlikely I'll be able to obtain it. To those who were helpful to me (Peter, Minisink, W16, Rob React, Crimebuster, Mark1, TheDude, Lazyboy, anyone else I might have missed), I genuinely thank you. It's been enlightening, and I doubt I would have been able to figure out things like a fair present value without your aid. You've been immensely helpful.

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

I will, however, in passing point out that the name of this forum is "Silver Comics", and I just wanted to make sure I had chosen the right forum (I thought there was an outside chance it might be a "Copper" book), so sorry I didn't know I had to call it "Silver age comics" instead. If you're that particular, perhaps petition to have the forum name changed. And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image, but for as unintuitive you think this board is, it's a breeze compared to BoardGameGeek. Spend some time over on BGG and you'll learn what lack of intuitive controls are. And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Paul - I don't know the story of how my uncle came to have it, or even when he came into this book. I'm planning on making a point to ask him when I see him on Christmas. Perhaps I'll message you directly once I know the tale and tell you. I do know he's an huge collector of this stuff (he built a giant panic room section onto his house that he keeps all this stuff tucked away in, and my dad used to say his collection was worth a large fortune), so it's entirely possible he's going to see this thread if my experience here was not typical, because he does not suffer fools gladly and I doubt he'd tolerate some of the more vocal attitudes I experienced if it's the norm. Hopefully he looks at it with bemusement.

Anyhow, this all has given me a lot to think about. I don't need the money, and his card (I think) intimated that he thinks that in time it'll be more valuable if I'm patient, so I might just put it in a safe deposit box and wait and see. He's crazy brilliant, worth trusting the opinion of. And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Welcome to the boards, Megan. If you don't need the money, I'd certainly want to keep it as a remembrance of a special event. It will be there if you do need to sell it later, which will hopefully not happen.

I'm happy to see another female post, we have so few.

I'm a little surprised to see you use the term "vig" unless you are a little older than we are guessing, or from Bklyn;) In any case, that's a sweet present and obviously a thoughtful one.

I would have loved a gift like that, much more meaningful than all of the candlesticks and crock-pots;)

:applause:

^^

:baiting: some could learn from this post. You gather more bees with honey...

But I'm afraid of bees! :o

I have no idea if the OP's legit, but I love the user name Megantron. I hope she sticks around for that reason alone.

...if she reads FF 66 and 67, she may very well be back ...........GOD BLESS....

(shrug)

And?

The omission is strange since he is indeed the head judge on this forum, is he not?

Only to those seeking to make hay. It is completely irrelevant whether Arch is, or is not, included on such a list, never mind "strange", since the list is not exhaustive, and says so.

Why, then, are you even raising this point? And they say politics isn't allowed...

(tsk)

Not surprising. The longer passage is less pithy and thus less likely to be quoted.

And, also not surprisingly, less likely to be quoted because it clarifies the meaning of "Judge not lest ye be judged."

We judge every single day, all the time. The proscription isn't against judgment...it's against hypocrisy. Not judging someone for the things you that you also do. Those who run around saying "don't judge, don't judge!" don't want to be called to account. It's as simple as that.

Hmmmmm, now that's a sweeping generalization for which there should be counter-examples aplenty. Would not those saying "Don't judge another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" be among those counter-examples?

So, are you saying we don't judge every single day, all the time?

What did you do to Megantron? You judged her. Did you "walk a mile in her shoes" before doing so? No.

It's just another example of "don't judge me! You don't have any right to judge me until you've gone through what I've gone through!!"

It's specious, because if that were true, there would be no law, and no one would ever be held responsible for anything, ever. That's anarchy.

Without an objective standard, no one would be guilty of anything...a pleasing thought to many, until they become "victim" to someone else who believes the same thing. "I want that. You have it. I am going to take it by force. You can't stop me, because I don't recognize your "laws." How dare you judge me??""

Quite clearly, a sitting judge need not have been raised in an upper-middle class white collar home to know that a CPA embezzling from her firm is wrong.

And incidentally, which posters in this thread might be guilty of "hypocrisy" and precisely how?

I didn't make any specific charges of hypocrisy, so this question isn't relevant to this specific discussion, but the answer, in a general sense, is all of us.

Anyone judging others for doing what they, themselves, do (present tense), is guilty of hypocrisy.

Having Truth is infinitely superior to "being right."

While I'm reluctant to get too deeply into epistemology in this thread, I'm wondering how a person can be right without also being privy to the truth.

???

"Being right", in quotes, has a different meaning than a person being correct or accurate, which you rightly note is impossible without being privy to the truth.

I use quotes because I am using the colloquial phrase "being right", which is an attitude, rather than a state of being, which essentially says "I'm right, and I don't care what the facts say. I'll never admit to being wrong about anything, ever." Few people say these words, even to themselves, but such an attitude always manifests itself. Many will make the claim about me, though the evidence that contradicts that is plenty. I've been wrong, many times, and welcome correction...sometimes grudgingly, sometimes happily (and it should always be happily)...but I've certainly done my fair share of "being right", as have we all.