• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Welcome to the boards, Megan. If you don't need the money, I'd certainly want to keep it as a remembrance of a special event. It will be there if you do need to sell it later, which will hopefully not happen.

I'm happy to see another female post, we have so few.

I'm a little surprised to see you use the term "vig" unless you are a little older than we are guessing, or from Bklyn;) In any case, that's a sweet present and obviously a thoughtful one.

I would have loved a gift like that, much more meaningful than all of the candlesticks and crock-pots;)

I skimmed much of the discussion, but the use of "vig" is already uncommon enough that coming from what I assume is a fairly young woman really raises my eyebrows. There is some additional phrasing I find suspect, but this was the one that really stood out for me.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it or not, but the idea of giving a top census 8K book to a noncollector as a wedding present without extremely stressing that the case should not be opened is crazy. Many recipients would think the "real" gift was still inside the case. ie: "Maybe uncle Neville put a stack of $100 bills inside the comic inside this plastic case. We better check and see"

That said, Megantron may simply be a very interesting person with far different life experiences than I would have expected of a young newlywed bride. In which case I offer congratulations!

Love me some Megantron. Like, she's so fierce! That Josh must be quite a guy to get to be her #1 - I'd love to hear more about Josh! And what about Uncle C and his panic room thing filled with uber grade comics - wow!! I wish I had a panic room, all I've got is a closet thing. Tell us more, tell us more!

Seriously - this thread is my favorite Xmas gift this year. No weak sauce here. I'm going to bone up on handwriting analysis and see what Uncle C's note tells me.

Wow Garry, I wouldn't think you'd be that skeptical as well as others about this persons story.

And in the end, who really cares?

Hey Marc. :hi:

Yeah, it looks to me completely done for a reaction........ and you're right, it certainly doesn't worry me. I only really drop in to read PMs these days mainly.

Hi there!

Happy holidays to you bud. All is good...I get the skepticism here but think this one is a weird story but true.

Enjoy the rest of the year Gaz!

Wow Garry, I wouldn't think you'd be that skeptical as well as others about this persons story.

I thought it was pretty clear that you did care. :whee:

I really don't care if the story is real or not. What I'm posting about and care about is calling someone a liar without any proof. It's not cool. The person posted pictures of the book, a card from her uncle, an interesting story...from what she has posted it seems to point towards the true box. I haven't seen any proof being provided by the others vocal on here that show this person is a liar.

See my point? Probably not and its cool. I don't care :)

I really don't care if the story is real or not. What I'm posting about and care about is calling someone a liar without any proof. It's not cool. The person posted pictures of the book, a card from her uncle, an interesting story...from what she has posted it seems to point towards the true box. I haven't seen any proof being provided by the others vocal on here that show this person is a liar.

What I wrote i truly believe. And wrote it to help any fellow board members who might fall for that garbage and send this "person" money for the fake book.

Besides trying to cheat people, I truly don't care about anything. I make it an art form. I will name my new bridge I bought from Dave "Mark1". :cloud9:

And never mind the fact that there are (as always) other people involved in this discussion.. No, no, it's the "RMA show." Not the "Mark1 show", or the "gaz973 show", or the "Hepcat show....

Actually the main Hepcat show is right here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4792568&fpart=69

Most viewers agree that it is indeed a very good one.

;)

In some ways it's almost comforting to see that the RMA show is still rolling on after all these years. lol

Almost as comforting as the people who can't deal with the freedom that the CCG allows others to express themselves, and so cynically mock as a means of coping?

I don't interact with you, and haven't in years, but that doesn't stop you from making comments like these. Who, then, is the real problem here?

And never mind the fact that there are (as always) other people involved in this discussion.. No, no, it's the "RMA show." Not the "Mark1 show", or the "gaz973 show", or the "Hepcat show", or the "*Bronze age fan* show", or the "MusterMark show", or any of the other participants in this discussion.

It's old, gaz973. It's really, really old. Reason finds no place with you.

The gaz973 show faced cancellation some time ago but the RMA show still rolls on. :headbang:

Megan, nice to meet you. Wish you well with the book. If it's not real, well, I'd still appreciate a bikini shot...... unless you're not a woman either, in which case.....ah what the hell - SEND IT OVER ANYWAYS!

RMA - nice to see you doing your thing.... if only the art of the board debate were an Olympic sport, we'd help you plaster your mancave gold!

BAF - love that you tried to make the thread about you lol - didn't someone post something about narcissistic behavior recently; some sort of study about the effects of self-centric behavior? I would have read the thing, but don't care what others think about others thinking too much about what they're thinking.....

:)

But I digest folks (and have the heartburn to prove it).... What I really came here to say is that I wish you a happy holiday season and healthy and prosperous 2016! May you all find the books you always wanted, and with no missing centerfolds or cut out MVS'!

PM Sent!

What I wrote i truly believe. And wrote it to help any fellow board members who might fall for that garbage and send this "person" money for the fake book.

Besides trying to cheat people, I truly don't care about anything. I make it an art form. I will name my new bridge I bought from Dave "Mark1". :cloud9:

Again you have no proof this is a fake book.

And call me gullible all you want. I've been buying comics my whole life and have never been scammed doing so. Can't say the same for many here.

I think I have a good radar on Bull$$$$

Many recipients would think the "real" gift was still inside the case. ie: "Maybe uncle Neville put a stack of $100 bills inside the comic inside this plastic case. We better check and see"

And then fold it over and take it to the ladies' room to read while doing their business....

:insane: