• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

GM9lfZB.png

1Y791UG.png

The audience is in disagreement with critics - but in the opposite direction?

(shrug)

It is not that surprising. The audience for the the Thursday screenings will mostly be the die-hard fans that want to see something new, not another rehash of the original trilogy. From what I have read here in spoilers and heard elsewhere, if it is as noticeable of a swipe of ESB that TFA was for ANH, then those fans will be disappointed. This is likely reflected in the ratings.

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

GM9lfZB.png

1Y791UG.png

(shrug)

Some of the very questionable moves bound to anger longtime fans. This movie does not play it safe like the last one.

Edited by Rip

36 minutes ago, kimik said:

It is not that surprising. The audience for the the Thursday screenings will mostly be the die-hard fans that want to see something new, not another rehash of the original trilogy. From what I have read here in spoilers and heard elsewhere, if it is as noticeable of a swipe of ESB that TFA was for ANH, then those fans will be disappointed. This is likely reflected in the ratings.

There was a similar plot outline but a lot of unexpected moves were made and at one point it became clear all bets were off. I saw it last night. The first half I found to be kind of boring and my girl friend said the same until someone unexpected popped up and then the movie began to pick up and really had some exciting and I excepted things happen. Near the very end I thought wow that was amazing and then with about 5 minutes left they did something that not only took me immediately out of the movie but out of the franchise. Where I had left The Force Awakens thinking wow Star Wars is Back I cant wait 2 more years to see the next one! I left this one with no excitement for the next installment. My girl friend didn’t seem bothered by the end but one of my other friends my age that saw last night agreed he left the theater feeling the same way.

Edited by Mephisto

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

GM9lfZB.png

1Y791UG.png

(shrug)

Yikes down to 59% with the audience as of right now.   I usual tend to be on par with the majority of the audience but I have tickets for tomorrow and will make sure I load up on snacks in case I'm annoyed by the movie!!

You have a very difficult job when it comes to Star Wars fans which is different than comic book fans.  Comic readers can point to the source material, for Star Wars the only hard and fast canon is the movies, and new movies do not draw on source material like the MCU does.

So the fan wants a movie that is faithful and nostalgic, but at the same time new and original.  Think about how difficult it is to achieve that balance? If you change or reinterpret something that is canon you them off, but if you are not willing to change, reinterpret something, or add original elements you get accused of just rehashing old stories and not moving the plot forward. What room does that leave? No matter what you do as a filmmaker a vocal group is going to be unhappy.

Finally, die hard fans want to see their version of Star Wars, the one that they have built in their mind.  They do not want to see someone elses version. What they really want is the new movie to justify or support their version. As a hard core fan, many think they know what is best for the universe. Now someone comes along with something that is official new canon that does not jive with their personal vision, and they are inclined not to like it. They are the Star Wars experts in their oppinion, so if the studios new chapter goes against what they know as an expert, it is wrong and there can not be any argument that will change their mind.

As for the fan reviews, I expect they will go up as others have pointed out only the most die hard have seen the film to this point.  The audiences that see it this weekend will be more forgiving provided the movie going experience is good.  General audiences to not care about canon, and do not have a personal preconceived notion what what Star Wars should be.

It was a pretty good flick. But I definitely expected it to be better story wise. I am not a “hard core” Star Wars fan but certainly enjoy the entire franchise and have been excited about this one. 

It was slow at times but I’m borderline ADD at the theater so it takes a truly special film to keep me hooked all the way through. Visually stunning film. Great performances. Adorable new creatures. Nice dose of humor sprinkled throughout.

My main criticism:

Spoiler

Pretty disappointed with the reveal of Rey’s parents. They had me on the edge of my seat then...oh guess what they were nobody from nowhere. HOWEVER since I was so annoyed at this I seeked other opinions from better Star Wars nerds. I suppose I understand the “beauty” of Rey being a nobody from nowhere and how it is a good way to take the story into new places and also show that you don’t have to be Skywalker or a Kenobi etc to be  a hero or have power. Yea yea yealol. Guess I just wanted something juicier when it came to that plot. Shame on me? 

I enjoy the actor that portrays Kylo...but there’s just something that annoys be about the character. He’s too back and forth. I suppose that’s part of his inner battle. Meh. 

Besides all that...the scene with Yoda redeemed a lot of the movie for me. The CGI was also very well done. I do think I enjoyed The Force Awakens more than this one, but I’ll be seeing it again. 

Saw it today and hated it.

It's the only SW movie I couldn't find something to salvage(although there are some brief cool Star Wars moments). That's saying a lot considering the prequels.

Like many of us, I was raised on the original trilogy and I just don't like what they are doing to the story.

I was still on board after TFA. I enjoyed most of it, even if there was a lot of dejavu. 

After 45-60 mins, I couldn't wait for the Last Jedi to end. It just felt like a space movie. Not Star Wars.

Edited by I like pie

12 minutes ago, drotto said:

You have a very difficult job when it comes to Star Wars fans which is different than comic book fans.  Comic readers can point to the source material, for Star Wars the only hard and fast canon is the movies, and new movies do not draw on source material like the MCU does.

So the fan wants a movie that is faithful and nostalgic, but at the same time new and original.  Think about how difficult it is to achieve that balance? If you change or reinterpret something that is canon you them off, but if you are not willing to change, reinterpret something, or add original elements you get accused of just rehashing old stories and not moving the plot forward. What room does that leave? No matter what you do as a filmmaker a vocal group is going to be unhappy.

Finally, die hard fans want to see their version of Star Wars, the one that they have built in their mind.  They do not want to see someone elses version. What they really want is the new movie to justify or support their version. As a hard core fan, many think they know what is best for the universe. Now someone comes along with something that is official new canon that does not jive with their personal vision, and they are inclined not to like it. They are the Star Wars experts in their oppinion, so if the studios new chapter goes against what they know as an expert, it is wrong and there can not be any argument that will change their mind.

As for the fan reviews, I expect they will go up as others have pointed out only the most die hard have seen the film to this point.  The audiences that see it this weekend will be more forgiving provided the movie going experience is good.  General audiences to not care about canon, and do not have a personal preconceived notion what what Star Wars should be.

I think the solution as always is write a great story.

Star Wars is a mythos rich in characters and stories. All they need to do is make a unique story in the Star Wars universe and I think the viewers will be happy.

Eliminate the fluff, and make the characters relevant and strong and the film is going to be a success. People loved Rogue One as an example ( although I think it needed a lot of work to be a great film ).

Me, I HATED The Force Awakens, it was not original in any way, and simply rehashed the Star Wars I loved. I have a feeling the Last Jedi will be more off that unfortunately. Seeing it on Monday.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Actually, I think that one of the problems the relaunch faces is the fact that Lucas had developed such a rich history and future already plotted and considered as canon from the novels outside of the movies. This is the risk for Disney in taking the approach they have decided to go with by saying the previous 20-30 years of Lucas and Dark Horse material does not matter (but I understand they maybe needed to from an IP perspective). They basically tossed out an established mythos that fans had already accepted as canon and built their expectations around. That is tough to overcome.

As an aside, I would be curious to see what the numbers were for the novels vs. DH SW comics. My guess is that the number of novels sold dwarfed the numbers for the comics. I had a ton of friends in university that read the novels for a couple of years but not the comics. They would be part of the general audience now, not the hardcore SW fanbase.

Edited by kimik

6 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Puzzled by those saying this is nothing like Empire. 

Reveal hidden contents

The major beats are very similar. 

It starts with a battle where the Rebellion has to escape from their secret base that's under attack. 

Rey goes to another world to get training from a Jedi master.

While she's doing that, her friends are chased by star destroyers and end up going to a seemingly neutral alien city to find help.

During her training, Rey is drawn into a strange cave where she confronts her dark side. 

The morally questionable rogue Finn recruits to help them ends up cutting a deal with the Empire and betraying them.

Rey breaks off her training to try and save her friends. 

The bad guy tells Rey who her true parents are, and then asks her to join him to rule the galaxy together. She refuses. 

The survivors fly away in the Millennium Falcon to regroup before the next movie. 

It's all there, just a little better disguised than in Force Awakens. And there's a whole giant battle sequence at the end that is new, and for me made the movie about 30 minutes too long. Otherwise, though... second rate Empire all the way.

I do agree with your hidden points. I thought the same thing to many of them. But for a critic to say that it's as good as Empire is balderdash. Also, isn't it ironic

Spoiler

that that only humanoid from the old guard to survive this film is the only deceased one in reality?

2 hours ago, drotto said:

So the fan wants a movie that is faithful and nostalgic, but at the same time new and original.  Think about how difficult it is to achieve that balance? 

It actually isn't difficult at all. You have Luke, Leia, and Han headline the first movie with their replacements introduced over the course of the movie.

Inexplicably they restarted this franchise after 30 years by having three main characters separated, seemingly all on bad terms with each other, knowing the audience will never see what happened to them. They then proceed to quickly dispatch of the legacy characters giving them pretty much zero screen time in the process. 

One of the greatest cockups in the history of the medium.

7 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It actually isn't difficult at all. You have Luke, Leia, and Han headline the first movie with their replacements introduced over the course of the movie.

Inexplicably they restarted this franchise after 30 years by having three main characters separated, seemingly all on bad terms with each other, knowing the audience will never see what happened to them. They then proceed to quickly dispatch of the legacy characters giving them pretty much zero screen time in the process. 

One of the greatest cockups in the history of the medium.

Is that what it is?

Somehow I don't care at all about any of the new characters. Somehow they have been introduced so poorly that I have no vested interest. It is one of the things I didn't like about Rogue One: the characters in Rogue One are flat.

I just saw LAST JEDI movie this morning.

My review........

I was so excited to see it for a second time on Monday in REAL IMAX this time.  I am now not even going to bother seeing it a 2nd time. 

Epic POS!

Trust Mark Hamill's interview.

IMO Star Wars is in bad hands with Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Since everyone is going on vacation starting next week, my department wanted to go see this together at 1:30 today.

I'm sorry. This IS NOT the Star Wars I grew up with. I'm not sure if it is an age thing, or having the originals to compare against. But this just did not work for me.

And that ending. Not even the one right after the main fight. There is one where it was like someone had a kid commercial idea, and plugged in this scene to drive home the point 'Get your Star Wars ring at stores near you!'