• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

It truly baffles me

im planning on seeing it Tuesday. 

Keep an eye out for the ring scene at the end. It's very subtle. But once it flashes, you'll want one too. At a Walmart, Target or K-Mart near you.

3 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I've already seen a number of people that hated it say it's not as bad on the second viewing. 

Case of being blinded by an early aspect you hate, and not watching the rest of the film with an open mind.

13 hours ago, drotto said:

.   The way Luke acts during the Vader is you father reveal in ESB is bad.

Still better than anything in TFA or TLJ.

And for all the hate on the prequels, especially episode 2, The last 20 minutes of Attack of the Clones (Battle of Geonosis) is much better than anything the mouse has out. Duel of Fates in Episode 1 better than anything mouse has out..

Prequels are amazing compared to new movies.  George Lucas should have never sold out. worst decision ever. SAD

59 minutes ago, drotto said:

Not saying it was as well done but you got this for Rey and Finn in TFA.  This movie from an arc perspective for Rey is a melding of ESB and ROTJ, and is similar in tone.  I felt Poe got a lot of good developement ( despite weaknesses in the sroryline), and Kylo's arc was the most solid and fleshed out.

The movie has clear flaws, especially when you start picking at it.  Just not truly understanding the visceral hate coming from a small but loud group. But a do see the points where it has arisen from.

I have not seen the Last Jedi yet, I am going on Monday. I am going into it with low expectations, and I am hoping to see an entertaining film.

The Force Awakens did not deliver for me because I had seen the movie before. Simply changing the names and locations of a film just isn't enough for me. I came out of that film wondering why Disney would pay billions of dollars to acquire a franchise and then the first movie they make is a rehash.

20 minutes ago, drotto said:

Case of being blinded by an early aspect you hate, and not watching the rest of the film with an open mind.

Or forcing yourself to be numb to the first viewing because they would hate to turn their back on Star Wars. Where else would they go for the same stories at this point? Other than rewatching the old movies, which they most probably do already.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I have not seen the Last Jedi yet, I am going on Monday. I am going into it with low expectations, and I am hoping to see an entertaining film.

The Force Awakens did not deliver for me because I had seen the movie before. Simply changing the names and locations of a film just isn't enough for me. I came out of that film wondering why Disney would pay billions of dollars to acquire a franchise and then the first movie they make is a rehash.

I will be curious to see what you think of Last Jedi.

Wow - can't even fathom wasting another 2.5 hours on seeing it again.  I'd rather milk a giant alien teat and drink the green liquid then see it again

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - can't even fathom wasting another 2.5 hours on seeing it again.  I'd rather milk a giant alien teat and drink the green liquid then see it again

Sorry. Disney requires two viewings before any official reviews.

:rulez:

I've always felt, all the way back to the prequels (prequels failed massively), as long they preserve the feel, spirit, tone and continuity of the characters and events as they've evolved through the films and story I won't have a problem with any particular plot or story ideas they choose to run with. 

That's a pretty big caveat to be sure, but not one that should be hard to abide by if you have filmmakers who respect the source material enough to keep their own egos and personalities secondary to the greater established Star Wars universe. 

Don't change a character's motivations simply to forward the chosen plot. Don't alter a character's evolution, intelligence, or decision making to do the same. Don't change the tone of storytelling to the point where it's not Star Wars anymore. If filmmakers want to make Spaceballs II, then they should go make Spaceballs II. If they want to make a Star Wars film there's room in the SW universe to tell rich, enveloping stories that also don't sell out the past, or alter the overall tenor to the point where it's Star Wars in name only. 

Edited by comix4fun

Went with my wife and our college-age son.  He called it his favorite Star Wars movie.  Makes sense to me, because it's the best Star Wars saga movie of HIS lifetime.  Wife and I enjoyed it just fine, but... you know.  We were both teenagers in the 70's so nothing will ever replace the original trilogy.

As for the hate? I'm sorry, but it's all based off the fact that NO Star Wars fan will ever admit that ANY movie is as good as the version they would have made if the world was smart enough to realize they should have been given complete control of the franchise.

Objectively, this is a really well done, good movie. Now, do I wish they they made some different choices ... of course, because MY VERSION of this movie would have been AWESOME! :)

But if you enjoy Star Wars, and you want to see Mark Hamil killing it as Luke Skywalker one more time... the movie delivers.

Edited by fmaz

I know I’m not a true Star Wars fan because...I truly enjoyed the Phantom Menace. But that movie came out when I was 9. Had a blast at the theater, got a light saber and a Lego pod racer for Xmas. 

Years later I notice most Star Wars fans hate that movie. It feels like a shame to say I enjoyed it. Obviously it’s always a matter of opinion. But it goes to show that The Last Jedi can still become a fan favorite for younger viewers. 

Phantom Menace is on TNT right now. I still enjoy watching it. I enjoyed Jar Jar Binks. The Pod races were cool as hell. Loved little Darth Vader. Loved Darth Maul. Qui gon. Young Obi. I almost enjoy praising it just to spite those that spit all over it. 

However Attack of the Clones was very meh. Revenge was 8/10.