• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Since everyone is going on vacation starting next week, my department wanted to go see this together at 1:30 today.

I'm sorry. This IS NOT the Star Wars I grew up with. I'm not sure if it is an age thing, or having the originals to compare against. But this just did not work for me.

And that ending. Not even the one right after the main fight. There is one where it was like someone had a kid commercial idea, and plugged in this scene to drive home the point 'Get your Star Wars ring at stores near you!'

Since 1977?

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Since 1977?

I saw the 1977 movie with family as a kid. So right from the beginning, I was immersed in these movies. And loved them! Even purchased the blu-ray trilogy as soon as it was available.

This was not what I saw the spirit of the original films. Maybe for others that this is fresh to them. But not for me.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I saw the 1977 movie with family as a kid. So right from the beginning, I was immersed in these movies. And loved them! Even purchased the blu-ray trilogy as soon as it was available.

This was not what I saw the spirit of the original films. Maybe for others that this is fresh to them. But not for me.

Yeah, I saw it when I was 13. It was totally unexpected and I loved it ever since but I feel it is dying after Hans Solo was killed off. I won't be surprised both Leia and Luke are next in that newly movie that I can sense before I will see it. Sadly my 11 years old son and 9 years old daughter have to see it soon.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Yeah, I saw it when I was 13. It was totally unexpected and I loved it ever since but I feel it is dying after Hans Solo was killed off. I won't be surprised both Leia and Luke are next in that newly movie that I can sense before I will see it. Sadly my 11 years old son and 9 years old daughter have to see it soon.

I think for anyone where this is new to them, it is going to work. So your kids are probably going to have a fun time.

But even the involvement of the original characters may bother you near the end when you see how it plays out. Maybe not. I didn't care for it.

6 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Why are the audience reviewers hating on the movie so much?  I thought it was a great movie.  The theater I was in erupted into cheers and applause many times and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My audience was annoyed and frustrated.  I thought the last ending scene was so cheesy and lame. 

10 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Why are the audience reviewers hating on the movie so much?  I thought it was a great movie.  The theater I was in erupted into cheers and applause many times and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

My audience was annoyed and frustrated.  I thought the last ending scene was so cheesy and lame. 

No kidding?  Glad I was at my showing then.

I saw this last night in 3D.

If you watch this movie and want to compare it to the original 1977 Star Wars, then you may be disappointed.  How can anyone duplicate that feeling many had as kids when they first saw this classic?  That original good guy/bad guy story, set in space, was one of a kind.

If, however, you just want an escape from reality for about 2 1/2 hours, mixed with more humor than usually found in the Star Wars series, then you could find this an enjoyable experience.

I don't see too many movies these days, but I was glad I took the family to see this one.

7 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I saw this last night in 3D.

If you watch this movie and want to compare it to the original 1977 Star Wars, then you may be disappointed.  How can anyone duplicate that feeling many had as kids when they first saw this classic?  That original good guy/bad guy story, set in space, was one of a kind.

If, however, you just want an escape from reality for about 2 1/2 hours, mixed with more humor than usually found in the Star Wars series, then you could find this an enjoyable experience.

I don't see too many movies these days, but I was glad I took the family to see this one.

Good point on forcing a comparison.

If I was going in with fresh eyes and no Star Wars history to compare against, this may have come across differently.

It makes sense the audiences are split on it(56% currently on RT). Past Gen vs current.

I went into TLJ knowing most of the spoilers but kept an open mind. I really wanted to like it.

However, it felt less like steering the franchise toward a new path and more like taking a big dump on the legacy.

Just got back, 5/10. Was honestly bored through most of it and couldn't wait for it to end. Won't bother with anymore instalments. Preferred Rogue One.

Edited by bane

56 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Good point on forcing a comparison.

If I was going in with fresh eyes and no Star Wars history to compare against, this may have come across differently.

Been a rabid fan since 77. I though as time goes along each trilogy gets weaker. But still enjoy aspects. Another interesting note, seems RT is getting neg bombed the most. IMDB is at 8.1 (with over 50K votes) Strange....

Edited by Rip

24 minutes ago, I like pie said:

It makes sense the audiences are split on it(56% currently on RT). Past Gen vs current.

I went into TLJ knowing most of the spoilers but kept an open mind. I really wanted to like it.

However, it felt less like steering the franchise toward a new path and more like taking a big dump on the legacy.

Agreed. The last 5 minutes or so of the film killed what had been mostly an enjoyable film although slow early on. I am having a hard time caring about a lot of the new characters. I really liked Ridley in the first film but I didn’t think her acting was as strong in this and my girl friend said her character was not as strong in this film. Adam Driver is Adam Driver I liked him a lot more than other people in the first film  BUT he is no Darth Vader.

I am still annoyed today with the last 5 minutes. I would not even go see the next one in theaters if it weren’t for my girl friend wanting to go.  I am not really interested in their new direction and at times some of their logic and preachiness felt like prequel and typical Disney schtick they ran down people’s throats.

Luckily I am a big fan of The Room and if are familiar with that film then The Disaster Artist was amazing and I saw that today and left the theater a lot more satisfied.

13 minutes ago, Rip said:

Been a rabid fan since 77. I though as time goes along each trilogy gets weaker. But still enjoy aspects. Another interesting note, seems RT is getting neg bombed the most. IMDB is at 8.1 (with over 50K votes) Strange....

You would think it is people playing around with ratings. But go to Rotten Tomatoes and read what general viewers are posting. I think it is really about Old School vs. New School.

B8feaVy.png

AX5haKT.png

qZ8P9Qt.png

The vibe am I getting is people want SkyWalkers (as do I) more than Star Wars.  

Luke, Vader, Leia, and Han to me is what this franchise is all about.  I will be excited about a Darth Vader solo movie.  I can't really stand these SJW forced new boring characters.

Episode 9 is something I am not unfortunately looking forward to.

If you enjoyed this movie then I am happy for you, but this was a major step back in franchise for me.     

Edited by NewWorldOrder

28 minutes ago, bane said:

Just got back, 5/10. Was honestly bored through most of it and couldn't wait for it to end. Won't bother with anymore instalments. Preferred Rogue One.

I saw what you did.

:baiting:

Must have reflected on that last scene with the 'magic ring'.

I saw it this afternoon and liked it. There were some parts I didn't care for -- the ending, in particular, had more cheese than the state of Wisconsin -- but my overall experience was positive. 

After the trauma that was the prequel trilogy, I came to a realization -- There will never be another Star Wars movie (for me) that will equal or capture the same feelings and magic as ANH & ESB. Never. Period. Stop trying to compare them and becoming disappointed when they don't measure up.

I find I'm able to enjoy them more now that way. 

(Except Phantom Menace. That one's still awful).

2 minutes ago, Antpark said:

I saw it this afternoon and liked it. There were some parts I didn't care for -- the ending, in particular, had more cheese than the state of Wisconsin -- but my overall experience was positive. 

After the trauma that was the prequel trilogy, I came to a realization -- There will never be another Star Wars movie (for me) that will equal or capture the same feelings and magic as ANH & ESB. Never. Period. Stop trying to compare them and becoming disappointed when they don't measure up.

I find I'm able to enjoy them more now that way. 

(Except Phantom Menace. That one's still awful).

OMG I 110% agree with you.  

Spoiler

However if Luke had some powerful ending I think I would have been okay with him dying in this film.  I would have loved to see him use the force to take down the AST walkers and then an epic duel with Kylo.  I like how powerful he was in the end, but it just seemed lame he was just a hologram of himself.