• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Or those were genuine reviews and the ones downvoting it were just responding to nostalgic groupthink?

Or the downvoting patrons were speaking their mind honestly despite being dismissed as nostalgic groupthink by people who can't fathom that there's a flaw in the formula. 

I don't know how I'd feel towards my sister if I almost killed her son so that he wouldn't become the next Vader.  I can't rule out that I wouldn't voluntarily shut myself off from her.

Given that situation, I'm also not sure what Luke should have done about Kylo.  Let's say it just crosses his mind that Kylo might be the next Vader and he never pulls out his saber--what does he do then?

27 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Or those were genuine reviews and the ones downvoting it were just responding to nostalgic groupthink?

Doubtful. Considering just the small sample here on the forums,  where it appears more disliked it than approved. Just jump on any facebook link with Star Wars attached (not even specifically TLJ) or any of many Star Wars forums and can find a majority of comments disliking the film.

I think the RT score will dip below 50% as more people see it but let's pretend only 54% of the world approves of the film a month from now. If you think with numbers like that and 93% of critics reviews are geniune, than you are in denial.

I was just curious if anyone had insight on what a critic may have to lose or gain from reviews from such a big movie machine.

Edited by I like pie

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I had no opinion about Leia in space.  What laws of physics and/or human physiology did it violate?  I know you can last about 10 to 20 seconds in space before you pass out, but I didn't time the scene to know if it broke that barrier.

It just looked daft, Leia Poppins.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't know how I'd feel towards my sister if I almost killed her son so that he wouldn't become the next Vader.  I can't rule out that I wouldn't voluntarily shut myself off from her.

Given that situation, I'm also not sure what Luke should have done about Kylo.  Let's say it just crosses his mind that Kylo might be the next Vader and he never pulls out his saber--what does he do then?

Well, he might have shut himself off telepathically, but there's a girl standing in front of him with his Dad's old Jedi saber, begging him for his help on behalf of Leia. 

Another article that lauds the film and embraces the changes of The Last Jedi: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is proof that a franchise needs to mature with its fans.

Also of note: among the several hints that something was amiss with Luke in the penultimate scene:

• He looks younger than he did on the island with Rey
  • He doesn't leave red footprints/tracks in the salt as Kylo did
  • He uses his father's blue lightsaber rather than his own - even though we've already seen it destroyed earlier in the film.

31 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Doubtful. Considering just the small sample here on the forums,  where it appears more disliked it than approved. Just jump on any facebook link with Star Wars attached (not even specifically TLJ) or any of many Star Wars forums and can find a majority of comments disliking the film.

I think the RT score will dip below 50% as more people see it but let's pretend only 54% of the world approves of the film a month from now. If you think with numbers like that and 93% of critics reviews are geniune, than you are in denial.

I was just curious if anyone had insight on what a critic may have to lose or gain from reviews from such a big movie machine.

their self respect?

27 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Also of note: among the several hints that something was amiss with Luke in the penultimate scene:

• He looks younger than he did on the island with Rey
  • He doesn't leave red footprints/tracks in the salt as Kylo did
  • He uses his father's blue lightsaber rather than his own - even though we've already seen it destroyed earlier in the film.

Oh yeah, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't have noticed "Hey...how'd he get in there with the door closed?" and "Hey, why does he look 10+ years younger with a hair cut, short beard, and just enough 'Jedi For Men™' in his beard to take out the grey?"

I noticed the lightsaber immediately when he faced Kylo. I was looking for the distinctive Green Jedi hilt. When I didn't see it it confirmed what his presence inside the mountain hideout, and the way he looked, meant. 

Even before he emerged from the crater created by the Imperial fire it should have been known what was up. 

It was an interesting choice, and well executed, even if not very well hidden. 

I will go to see this of course but after watching Half in the bag review well couple minutes after they went to spoilers. Well comments werent that good. Many times I will agree with their opinions like Rogue one was horrible even thou it first got really good reviews..

Edited by godzilla43

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

(spoilers) I grew up with the original films and don't think there was anything blown up.  Luke died.  Han died in the last film, and even showed a little sappiness, did you flip out over that?  He was never sappy before. 

I just don't get it.  It would have been great if Luke was restored to greatness and ran a new Jedi academy and whatever.  But he died saving the resistance just like Obi-Wan.  No glaring hole.  No universe blown up.  No character blown up.  Just different than you and some other holdouts expect.

I want the hero in the film. Who is the hero in this film? It is not easily answered, you really can't call Luke the hero, he is so "anti hero" for most of it. Rey? She doesn't do much. Other than those 2 there is no one. It just isn't much of a Star Wars movie without a defined hero within the story. We don't really see a hero until 2 hours have passed.

I want the hero. I want to see the hero use his rope and grab the princess and swing across the open chasm to get to the other side while the bad guys shoot at them.

The problem with this film is the story: it should have started with Luke being the hero, The Last Jedi.

How much more awesome would this have been for an opening scene:

Luke looks at Rey with the lightsaber in her hand. He looks at the lightsaber, then her. Then he says "I knew you would come. Lets begin your training" and as soon as he completes that sentence he uses the force and wills the lightsaber into his hand, and raises it with its light crackling. The great Star Wars music swells to a crescendo. YES! Luke is a Jedi still. The audience would cheer.

Instead he casually throws the lightsaber away, and then milks some alien for a drink. Yeah whatever, what terrible writing.

Edited by Artboy99

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

How much more awesome is this opening scene:

Luke looks at Rey with the lightsaber in her hand. He looks at the lightsaber, then her. Then he says "I knew you would come. Lets begin your training" and as soon as he completes that sentence he uses the force and wills the lightsaber into his hand, and raises it with its light crackling.

YES! Luke is a Jedi still. The audience would cheer. Instead he casually throws it away, and then milks some alien for a drink. yeah whatever. terrible writing.

Yeah - 'cuz that's exactly how Yoda greeted Luke in Empire.

As I recall, he steals Luke's food, teases him and then goes home to cook dinner.

4 hours ago, Mephisto said:

If younger generations are not down with this then pushing the new era will not have the shelf life Disney is expecting. 

Just because it’s Star Wars doesn’t mean people will continue to drink the Kool Aide especially if they have no connection to new aspects and when new aspects are done poorly. I have no problem with moving a head with new characters etc but it has to be really well done and actually grab me. As I mentioned I really liked Rey in the first film. However, I didn’t think Daisy’s acting was as good in this film and my girl friend said he chactater wasn’t as strong (which it could have been given more screen time but let’s waste on extraneous like Rose). I said, I have heard others say it, and I listen don’t listen to a POD cast with multiple people say after this film they no long care anout Rey, Kylo, or any of the new characters going forward. Had they been presented much stronger and interesting then perhaps people would despite some of the flaws and ending with Luke that irked many.

Instead they went all Marvel and wasted time with jokes like Kylo with his shirt off. Surprised they didn’t just go ahead and quote SNL. “My buddy saw Kylo Ren come out of the shower. He said Kylo Ren was shredded that he had an 8 pack.”

Just because somethings is being called Star Wars and there are light sabers involved doesn’t mean I am going to be interested in the next trilogy if the characters and story are no good.

The problem Disney will have going forward with the SW is simply this - there is much more competition for children/youth sci-fi entertainment now than there was in the late 70s through mid 80s. Specifically - comic book movies. Even though my kids grew up on the original trilogy, plus episodes 1-3, and the Clone Wars cartoon, they are more attached to the comic movie franchises. Basically, the Batman = Luke for their generation, Iron Man = Han Solo, and Wonder Woman = Leia (and the most recent version of Spider-Man = Jawa :devil: ). My kids were excited to see Justice League this December, not TLJ, and they are more excited now to see Avengers 4 next year than they are to see the latest installment of Star Wars.

Producing movies that 1) do not connect with today's youth in a much more competitive market space and 2) alienate a good portion of your existing fanbase will lead to trouble for any franchise longer term. Maybe Lucas was the smart one and timed his selling of the property at the market peak?

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

As I recall, he steals Luke's food, teases him and then goes home to cook dinner.

True. However New Hope didn’t end with Luke arriving to meet Yoda and give him back his lightsaber. Furthermore Yoda still trained Luke. Luke gave Rey 3 lesson on why the Jedi should end

21 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Ok ok, you don't like my writing. But my writing is more exciting, more heroic than Disney delivered. Disney...don't they make family friendly films? The Luke in The Last Jedi was pretty dark and scary. Reminded me of evil Anakin that murdered sand people and all those young jedi padawans.

2 hours ago, bane said:

It just looked daft, Leia Poppins.

Spoiler

I remember feeling a rush of relief when she got blown out into space. My first reaction was that the rumors were not true that she lived and Luke died.

That would have been the perfect exit for Leia. Then she morphed into Mary Poppins and I started looking around me at others reaction, like WTF is happening:ohnoez:

5 minutes ago, I like pie said:
  Hide contents

I remember feeling a rush of relief when she got blown out into space. My first reaction was that the rumors were not true that she lived and Luke died.

That would have been the perfect exit for Leia. Then she morphed into Mary Poppins and I started looking around me at others reaction, like WTF is happening:ohnoez:

yeah I was looking around as well.