• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I NEVER assume I'm smarter than the director on any film.  It's too common a mistake, one that most people make.  If I'm unmotivated by the work I'll just drop it without opinion, but I'll never assume there's no explanation for an outstanding question on any work of art in any medium without at least giving it the benefit of repeat viewings (or hearings for songs, or whatever senses are used for the medium in question).  In this case, I just need to hear (or see a transcript of) the dialogue from those sessions with Rey on the island another time or two.

Even Michael Bay? I think it's safe to assume everyone, including TBI and coma patients, are smarter than Michael Bay. 

11 hours ago, CAHokie said:

Speaking of merchandising...was that the only purpose of Captain Phasma? Seriously, I can’t remember anything she actually did to warrant being a major character. I’m surprised they hired the GOT female because just about any tall female could have accomplished her role, which is unfortunate.

Every trilogy needs it's Boba Fett. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Even Michael Bay? I think it's safe to assume everyone, including TBI and coma patients, are smarter than Michael Bay. 

I know I'm smarter than Uwe Boll!

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

That scene didn't imply anything nearly that simple.  Luke was reacting to the evil that was already there, not the evil to come.  Yes, he probably did change Ben's exact path to the dark side, but nothing about that scene suggests Luke is who turned him to the dark side.

Actually, he was reacting to the potential evil to come. I'm pretty much positive that Luke said when he looked inside Kylo he saw a "capacity" for the dark side like he had never seen. That was potential he was reacting to, so the evil was not already there. 

I'm not simply trying to be contrarian - I genuinely thought the film was great -- and easily (by far) better than the first two prequels -- probably even better than Jedi.

First, it was a necessary step in the evolution of the Star Wars saga.

One of the posters a few pages back was right -- there's no true hero here. And all of our heroes -- in some way or another -- failed.

• Luke failed his student, Kylo Ren.
  • Rey failed in her quest to either bring back Luke or be fully trained by him
  • Finn failed in his mission to secure a codebreaker and again to stop the Death Star cannon
  • For all his bravado, Poe's multiple fighter runs all failed -- costing the Resistance all of its bombers and most of its pilots and ships in the process

Second, I'm curious if folks have bothered to read some of the critical reviews. These are folks who are paid to write long articles explaining why a particular film is good or bad, and defend that opinion. 

Here again is that Forbes piece I cited earlier.

It notes 12 times that The Last Jedi deviated from the expected (and easy) choice -- and why each of those choices contributed to it's ultimately being a better film.

I don't agree with all of Rian Johnson / Kathleen Kennedy / Lucasfilm's choices, but I think many of them were inspired, and collectively they were necessary to move the Star Wars universe forward.

Just because nobody wanted a rehash of ESB, doesn't mean the director has to go off the deep end with shocks and surprises.  This movie was badly scripted/written.  The only times I was interested in what was going on was the scenes with Luke/Rey/Kylo.  All the other characters are flat with unfulfilling plotlines.  Why have Luke be at the first Jedi Temple with the original Jedi books if you are going to burn the books without even discussing what they withhold?  Pointless.  I had hopes that this movie would delve deep into the force and Jedi history but it did the opposite.  Just a wasted opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Just because nobody wanted a rehash of ESB, doesn't mean the director has to go off the deep end with shocks and surprises.  This movie was badly scripted/written.  The only times I was interested in what was going on was the scenes with Luke/Rey/Kylo.  All the other characters are flat with unfulfilling plotlines.  Why have Luke be at the first Jedi Temple with the original Jedi books if you are going to burn the books without even discussing what they withhold?  Pointless.  I had hopes that this movie would delve deep into the force and Jedi history but it did the opposite.  Just a wasted opportunity.

They didn't get burned up, Ray has them.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The prequel audience scores are outdoing The Last Jedi??

SYSUo8T.png&key=deeeb73e169ce79f17373ae4

The prequels didn't mess with the most popular protagonist character of the entire original trilogy. 

Everyone has their own opinion about Star Wars and that's great I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or enjoyment of the movie, if you liked it that's great. I'm just saying for me it was a big let down and just being able to come on here and complain about it make's me feel better. I was born in 66 so I saw the original's in the theater, waited in the long line's with my friends. I still remember seeing the first one and when the huge ship comes over the screen we were blown away, we had never seen anything like it before. I really liked TFA except the killing of my favorite, Solo. But by the end of the movie with all the build up of finding the maps and the saber and tracking Luke down I just knew we were going to have this big payoff. So after waiting in line once again with my friends for two hours in the freezing cold we get to the big scene and Luke throws the saber :facepalm: what a disappointment, then came the teat milking. I won't be in line for the next one, I will see it but it won't be something I have to see right away 2c

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

These ET reviewers hit on a lot of what others are saying. But loads of spoilers.

this pretty much sums it up for me, couldn't have said it any better

7 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

Everyone has their own opinion about Star Wars and that's great I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or enjoyment of the movie, if you liked it that's great. I'm just saying for me it was a big let down and just being able to come on here and complain about it make's me feel better. I was born in 66 so I saw the original's in the theater, waited in the long line's with my friends. I still remember seeing the first one and when the huge ship comes over the screen we were blown away, we had never seen anything like it before. I really liked TFA except the killing of my favorite, Solo. But by the end of the movie with all the build up of finding the maps and the saber and tracking Luke down I just knew we were going to have this big payoff. So after waiting in line once again with my friends for two hours in the freezing cold we get to the big scene and Luke throws the saber :facepalm: what a disappointment, then came the teat milking. I won't be in line for the next one, I will see it but it won't be something I have to see right away 2c

It almost felt like a match between Abrams and Johnson. I've never seen this high profile of a film franchise have two consecutive entries that were this much at odds with each other, almost line for line.