• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

True. But that does not at all negate what I posted. He's also wizened old master, tired of the conflict and refusing to kill.

And he still steps up when needed, in a way that enables him to diffuse the conflict without succumbing to the Dark Side.

It sounds like some folks are frustrated that he didn't mind-crush some AT-ATs and run Kylo (or Snoke) through with a green lightsaber.

The Luke we met in Jedi would _never_ do that, nor would his mentors -- Kenobi or Yoda.

I'll disagree again that he was a wizened master. He didn't even know Han died. He gave up being a Jedi.

The Luke from 4-6 would not have given up on his family.

I'm glad you liked this film. Not trying to take that away from anyone but don't try to feed me sh*t and tell me it'sugar.

Edited by I like pie

27 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

This is the exact same adult criticism people used for Episodes I, II, and III except now you're pitting Kathleen Kennedy against Lucas.  A decade and a half ago the hardcore fans were pitting Lucas-later versus Lucas-earlier.  If we were kids we wouldn't be thinking any of that, we'd be focusing on the action, conflict, and special effects.

I was 12 by the time Return of the Jedi and the Ewoks hit, and those teddy bears were beginning to seem dumb to the older kid I had become, but I rolled with it.  I did the same with Jar Jar Binks at the age of 28, but I marveled at the people who endlessly complained about him not realizing that these have ALWAYS been children's movies.

I'm not sure about this being the same as Episodes I-III, as at the time folks were still charged up about those movies. Though the critic-audience scores were more aligned than what we are seeing right now.

SYSUo8T.png

There was something handled differently in The Last Jedi that triggered a reaction not experienced before. Folks can ignore this as 'the same old complaint'. But I don't think these things are similar.

Edited by Bosco685

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm not sure about this being the same as Episodes I-III, as at the time folks were still charged up about those movies. Though the critic-audience scores were more aligned than what we are seeing right now.

SYSUo8T.png

There was something handled differently in The Last Jedi that triggered a reaction not experienced before. Folks can ignore this as 'the same old complaint'. But I don't think these things are similar.

There’s been an awakening...

11 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I'll disagree again that he was a wizened master. He didn't even know Han died. He gave up being a Jedi.

The Luke from 4-6 would not have given up on his family.

I'm glad you liked this film. Not trying to take that away from anyone but don't try to feed me sh*t and tell me it'sugar.

Amen to that. 

We can talk in-depth and give theories on just Luke Skywalker alone which is fine, I enjoyed his storyline, I think the Astral projection was a smart move and unexpected BUT I would have liked to see him go out in a blaze of glory in the next one, now we don't get that.

Watching this film as stand alone movie, forgetting about the universe it exists in and its rabid fan base, just soley based on a 2hr 30min action film set in space, it has some major issues in it, its boring in parts, has some terrible forced humour and a lot of subplots that are meaningless.

It doesn't deserve a 93% fresh rating that much is certain.

I get why Luke did what he did. The entire movie is set up to do that. No one is disputing that his decision or actions don’t make sense. They do in terms of this movie, it just seems like a wasted opportunity for a character who once went into Jabbas lair and demanded that Solo and Wookie be handed over to him 

Saw last night. First half dragged but second half finished strong. Audience clapped multiple times. While I didn’t clap, I’ll admit there was a certain scene with snope that invoked some goosebumps.

If you’re interested in an uninitiated perspective my girlfriend, who has never seen a Star Wars film, left feeling intrigued...and wants to watch from start to finish now. Of course the big question is...what order?!

18 minutes ago, bane said:

This clapping in theatres, is that an American thing?

It happens on every blockbuster film I see on opening weekend where the theater is sold out.  It did happen at the end when I saw Last Jedi this past weekend, and there were cheers at the start when the trailers stopped the Lucasfilm logo went on screen.

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Ooooh...I can't agree with that. 

The one consistent thing in Luke's character from the first film to now has been his utter and complete consistency in his moral compass and his dedication to saving others, both strangers and family/loved ones.

Luke in Star Wars?...whiny kid who takes off and joins a bunch of strangers to save the galaxy.

Luke in ESB?....impetuous and rash and who takes off to save his friends and loved ones even though it puts him in mortal personal danger with incomplete skills and training.

Luke in ROTJ?....overconfident in the beginning but again willing to put himself directly in harm's way against overwhelming odds to save his friends and loved ones, and later in the film, utterly willing to sacrifice his own life in order to redeem a character shown only to be a mass-murdering-entirely-evil character. 

Luke in TLJ?...(click below)

Hide contents

(chronologically) seriously considers murdering Han and Leia's son, his nephew, in his sleep because he sees darkness in him (guess he forgot about redeeming Vader), Flees civilization and the force even though the battle rages on for freedom, is informed that not only has Han been murdered by Luke's Nephew/Han's Son, and that his sister is in mortal danger and being hunted by the first order, not only flat out refuses to attempt and redeem his nephew (who he helped push towards the dark in the first place...probably costing Han his life) he also refuses to come to the aid of his sister who he consistently faced down all odds to come to the rescue of in all three original films. He's handed his father's Jedi lightsaber, the artifact that kicked off the entire saga, the symbol of Anakin's light side, the symbol of Luke's self-sacrificing faith in the light side that was shown to be correct in the redemption of, perhaps, the most evil character in the entire universe...and he tosses it away like it's meaningless?  

That doesn't even touch upon the fact that Luke's refusal to come to Leia's aid in her darkest hour is not even partially reversed until he's guilted into it by a child with a weekend-bootcamp's worth of Jedi training. 

This Luke is not the Luke we've seen. Nothing about his actions for the first 95% of the film in any way rings true to what he's demonstrated himself to be. 

I agree. I wanted to see more of the Luke I know.

Luke could have started the training of Kylo, but Kylo's training should have been finished by Snoke for Kylo chose his own path, which is the way of things.

21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Ooooh...I can't agree with that. 

The one consistent thing in Luke's character from the first film to now has been his utter and complete consistency in his moral compass and his dedication to saving others, both strangers and family/loved ones.

Luke in Star Wars?...whiny kid who takes off and joins a bunch of strangers to save the galaxy.

Luke in ESB?....impetuous and rash and who takes off to save his friends and loved ones even though it puts him in mortal personal danger with incomplete skills and training.

Luke in ROTJ?....overconfident in the beginning but again willing to put himself directly in harm's way against overwhelming odds to save his friends and loved ones, and later in the film, utterly willing to sacrifice his own life in order to redeem a character shown only to be a mass-murdering-entirely-evil character. 

Luke in TLJ?...(chronologically) seriously considers murdering Han and Leia's son, his nephew, in his sleep because he sees darkness in him (guess he forgot about redeeming Vader), Flees civilization and the force even though the battle rages on for freedom, is informed that not only has Han been murdered by Luke's Nephew/Han's Son, and that his sister is in mortal danger and being hunted by the first order, not only flat out refuses to attempt and redeem his nephew (who he helped push towards the dark in the first place...probably costing Han his life) he also refuses to come to the aid of his sister who he consistently faced down all odds to come to the rescue of in all three original films. He's handed his father's Jedi lightsaber, the artifact that kicked off the entire saga, the symbol of Anakin's light side, the symbol of Luke's self-sacrificing faith in the light side that was shown to be correct in the redemption of, perhaps, the most evil character in the entire universe...and he tosses it away like it's meaningless?  

That doesn't even touch upon the fact that Luke's refusal to come to Leia's aid in her darkest hour is not even partially reversed until he's guilted into it by a child with a weekend-bootcamp's worth of Jedi training. 

This Luke is not the Luke we've seen. Nothing about his actions for the first 95% of the film in any way rings true to what he's demonstrated himself to be. 

You need to see it through the eyes of a 12 year old - this movie was epic. :makepoint:

I loved the ending with her handing him the lightsaber. They ruined that scene with a cheap joke in the new one. I knew after that, how this movie was going to go.

I honestly wanted to leave the theater. I didn’t enjoy the movie at all. I’m sure in the next one they will have R2 kill C3PO and then himself or something just to finish things up.

i can’t remember ever leaving a sold out Star Wars movie before where the crowd basically said nothing to each other, no clapping, no comments, nothing..... and just shuffled out quietly.

2 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

I loved the ending with her handing him the lightsaber. They ruined that scene with a cheap joke in the new one. I knew after that, how this movie was going to go.

I honestly wanted to leave the theater. I didn’t enjoy the movie at all. I’m sure in the next one they will have R2 kill C3PO and then himself or something just to finish things up.

i can’t remember ever leaving a sold out Star Wars movie before where the crowd basically said nothing to each other, no clapping, no comments, nothing..... and just shuffled out quietly.

I can:

The Force Awakens

The Phantom Menace

The Clone Wars

Revenge of the Sith

:devil: